Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came across this photo of a tarped Cybertruck last night. Real or fake, I'm not sure. I don't know much about this YouTube channel, but I believe they were at the Plaid event and do collaborations with Brooks from Drag Times. Is Tesla sending out a few trucks before the next unveiling?

It looks to be in "kneeling" mode, an under-recognized feature that's going to be a real game-changer in terms of loading and unloading speed and ease, especially difficult objects like motorcycles, lawn tractors, refrigerators and other appliances and even things like brush and firewood. Everyone seems to focus on the fact that the Cybertrucks side-wings make side-loading difficult but the truth of the matter is the sides of modern 1/2 ton pickup beds have become so tall that side-loading/unloading is almost never done anyway.

Last edited:
As @MP3Mike posted while I was writing this correct, I was wrong. According to the owner's manual they are liquid cooled versions of the PMSR motors.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf
Plaid.JPG

It also may explain some mileage/efficiency differences.
Relative to the LR, they changed the rear gear ratios (which lines up with needing less torque per motor), so that is probably a little less efficient. Adding more spinny parts also adds drag.

Interesting. I had thought that the induction motor approach ran into backEMF(?) issues at high rpms?
Well, the field strength and phase can get to high RPM, but I'm wrong on the type...

Wouldn't stacked steel laminates be less expensive than a copper rotor? Yes, the magnets cost more but a copper rotor can't be much of a cost savings.
Raw material should be cheaper for steel, but I was thinking cast copper is less production cost than stamping and stacking, especially without magnets, but again, it is not AC induction.

It looks to be in "kneeling" mode, an under-recognized feature that's going to be a real game-changer in terms of loading and unloading speed and ease, especially difficult objects like motorcycles, lawn tractors, refrigerators and other appliances and even things like brush and firewood. Everyone seems to focus on the fact that the Cybertrucks side-wings make side-loading difficult but the truth of the matter is the sides of modern 1/2 ton pickup beds have become so tall that basically side-loading/unloading is almost never done anyway.
One of the lame complaints I hear about the CT (usually from white collar internet geeks) is "you can't reach over the bed and lift things out". Oh, the movement that is extremely bad for your back and likely to cause injury?

As @MP3Mike posted while I was writing this correct, I was wrong. According to the owner's manual they are liquid cooled versions of the PMSR motors.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf
View attachment 673573

Relative to the LR, they changed the rear gear ratios (which lines up with needing less torque per motor), so that is probably a little less efficient. Adding more spinny parts also adds drag.

Well, the field strength and phase can get to high RPM, but I'm wrong on the type...

Raw material should be cheaper for steel, but I was thinking cast copper is less production cost than stamping and stacking, especially without magnets, but again, it is not AC induction.
The question remains why they’re using copper in a permanent magnet rotor. I suspect it’s to control flux leakage between the magnet bars or hold the cooling fluid, or both. Elon once said plaid powertrain is like “alien technology” so maybe they’ve come up with a hybrid permanent magnet induction rotor that has the best attributes of both over a wide rpm range.

The question remains why they’re using copper in a permanent magnet rotor. I suspect it’s to control flux leakage between the magnet bars or hold the cooling fluid, or both. Elon once said plaid powertrain is like “alien technology” so maybe they’ve come up with a hybrid permanent magnet induction rotor that has the best attributes of both over a wide rpm range.
Given the coaxial liquid cooling, I would guess they use copper cast around the magnets and internal lamination for heat transfer and to make the entire thing liquid tight.
Since the motor is a synchronous design, there is no relative movement between the rotor and the stator generated magnetic field. This means they can have a solid copper layer without the problem of eddy current induced losses that one would get with an induction motor (in retrospect, that should have been a red flag to me).

Wouldn't stacked steel laminates be less expensive than a copper rotor? Yes, the magnets cost more but a copper rotor can't be much of a cost savings.
Depends on the quantity of copper. Because copper is a much better conductor than steel, a lot less may be needed. Also copper is more malleable than steel, it might be faster to produce.

Translation available
I guess the new changes to Berlin will be posted here June 18th

Ford 150, is there a driverless option because the cameras and or radar are installed and a database is being collected? If no driverless system is gamed into the production model, how is it any better than the fossil fuel version of a Ford 150. How long will it take to wash out before there is a driverless version of Ford 150?

Um, Ford's autonomy capability was shown at the reveal, it was one of the top features shown, and here is an article on it.

The hands-free capability uses cameras, radar sensors and software to provide a combination of adaptive cruise control, lane centering and speed-sign recognition. It has undergone some 500,000 miles of development testing, Ford emphasized in an announcement in April. The system also has an in-cabin camera that monitors eye gaze and head position to help ensure the driver’s eyes remain on the road.

One of the lame complaints I hear about the CT (usually from white collar internet geeks) is "you can't reach over the bed and lift things out". Oh, the movement that is extremely bad for your back and likely to cause injury?

True. But I think that kind of truck owner probably doesn't have to worry loading their typical light-weight pink flamingos, inflatable palm trees and Santa lawn decorations. ;)

Given the coaxial liquid cooling, I would guess they use copper cast around the magnets and internal lamination for heat transfer and to make the entire thing liquid tight.
Since the motor is a synchronous design, there is no relative movement between the rotor and the stator generated magnetic field. This means they can have a solid copper layer without the problem of eddy current induced losses that one would get with an induction motor (in retrospect, that should have been a red flag to me).
Don't believe this is true: there will be no slippage, sure, but the rotor flux will still be time-varying, hence generating orthogonal eddy currents, which canonly be stopped by laminating the core.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger