Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT but drives macros

As of Saturday, the 7-day average of daily new cases fell to under 50,000, down 17% from a week prior. Hospitalizations and deaths from the disease are also falling.
More than 100 million people in the U.S. are fully vaccinated against Covid-19, or nearly a third of the population

US population over 18 i s ~209M.
Roaring twenties .. (Treasury Rates be dammed ;) )

Old pickup trucks Princess Wagons* aren't taken off the road because they're dented; they're scraped when they rust out to to the point when they become useless/dangerouse.

Cybertruck's stainless steel body will never rust. Think about what that means for the mission, and what it would have meant for Ford if they had started using stainless steel for car bodies 90 years ago?
Princess Wagons = a term courtesy of Jack Rickard. I suggest P-Wagons for short. "Ford Tough" seems to include whole sides peeling off when there's some sideways force from heavy loads. Many of these aluminium bodies seem "Ford Soft"

Since Jaguar and Ford both offer artificial “engine” sounds in their EV to make their traditional owners more at home, will the EV F150 offer optional “smoke” or “soot”?
DCD551E9-6BFD-4FB9-A579-C1B37330B070.jpeg

I think we have to see the full verdict from Sandy M. on the Mach-e before we can be sure. Ford had onboard electrical outlets in the C-Max Energi back in 2013 which my 3 lacks today. (It is disappointing to have take an inverter with me just to power small electrical devices.) Tesla makes mistakes and Ford has made some whoppers.

As others have said, CT is not for everyone. Ford might make an OK truck for the many classic truck fans. If they can get some in show rooms, they may be able to hold their customers until they can ramp up production. It is an iffy proposition certainly, it mostly depends on the Mach-e. If the Mach-e shows some promise then Ford has a glimmer of hope IMO. That glimmer of hope likely would be a drastically different company.
On reflection, here is a mistake Sandy can solve for us. The front suspension uses a hollow aluminum casting. These are stiff light structures made of a material with no fatigue limit.

Background: Steel has a fatigue limit where as long as cycling stresses are below a threshold, the steel will last forever. No ferrous metals, aluminum, copper etc have cycling fatigue limit or lower threshold below which the part lasts forever. That means that aluminum parts will fail if subjected to cyclic loading - eventually.

Tesla is designing for 1,000,000 miles. That puts a good factor of safety on all their parts.

The Mustang has a thin walled cast aluminum tube. That is very stiff, as stiffness goes as the section height cubed. It was like 4 inches tall if I recall. Sigma = Mc/I

So where Sandy may find a problem with Ford, but not with Tesla is:

Suppose a dealer sprays undercoating on one side of a half shaft thus creating a vibration source. At how many highway miles does some attachment point to the super stiff cast aluminum beam fail?

Intuitively there is some sort of strain energy thing going on where super stiff things connect to the real world. EEs would call it an impedance match issue. Bushings can help.

His team can also calculate the miles to failure where things mount to the aluminum casting.

I feel like Tesla has it set up with matched stiffnesses from a lot of aluminum parts.
Ford has to deal with a 3x material stiffness mismatch on their aluminum beam.

This difference could show up in the stock price.

And Sandy's team has the skills and the tools to tell us about cyclic stress wear out points in each of the designs.

Ed

Now, let’s see how many of the Mainstream medias report this info.
I might subscribe 1 year to their journal or news feed for their hard earned redemption.
Probably none. The only reason why the lady got so much attention is because of the stunt she pulled..and she tried multiple stunts until found the one that hit, even tho it landed her 5 days of jail time.

Tesla cannot repay her without evidence of brake failure because that opens the flood gate for everyone claiming brake failure during a crash. And most crashes, suicide or attempting tree hitting dumb stuff aside, have someone braking before a crash. Usually people don't accelerate into a crash.

Reactions: OrthoSurg
It looks like LoraK is on the job. Rest easy.

The whole "should be done on a test track" is a load of bull. He did nothing that could endanger other motorists on the road (unless the mere act of enabling Ford's copilot is a danger to other road users). He merely unbuckled his own seatbelt while continuing to monitor the road and at most put only himself at greater risk if copilot or another driver were to cause a crash. Kolodny can't even legitimately claim that using his hands to release the seatbelt was risky because Ford says you do not need to have your hands on the wheel while copilot is engaged.

The whole "should be done on a test track" is a load of bull. He did nothing that could endanger other motorists on the road (unless the mere act of enabling Ford's copilot is a danger to other road users). He merely unbuckled his own seatbelt while continuing to monitor the road and at most put only himself at greater risk if copilot or another driver were to cause a crash. Kolodny can't even legitimately claim that using his hands to release the seatbelt was risky because Ford says you do not need to have your hands on the wheel while copilot is engaged.
Look at you using logic and stuffo_O

LoraK is a special breed. I just read this article on Neuralink. It's about a co-founder, Max Hodak, leaving. It's spun to make it sound bad even though his tweeted announcement said "I learned a ton there and remain a huge cheerleader for the company!". So, yeah, the usual inferring troubles because some higher up leaves. Then she has to cast aspersions on the company stating "skeptics abound" and proclaiming "after the August 2020 demo, MIT Technology Review deemed Neuralink 'neuroscience theater'". She must also highlight that "Musk does not have a background in neuroscience or medical devices". On and on she goes. Of course Musk's claims are dismissed as "again without providing evidence". True to her formula she then goes on to finish by listing all the competitors to Neuralink too, can't forget to do that.

I started the article unaware of who the author was. Had it down to a couple possibilities pretty quick. Finished and jumped up to the top to check my guess, and there it was: LoraK. She's simply awful - 80% of the article exists simply to 💩 on Elon and has nothing to do with the headline. I don't know why I'm amazed, but I guess I've got a thick skin when it comes to this stuff and Tesla, but I've not seen it against Neuralink before.

Ford and GM can offer EV trucks that look more normal than the CT and copy many similar features of the announced CT. They can “me too” the 240VAC plugs without too much difficulty, and even the compressor is not too difficult to copy. But, the dent / bulletproof will be unique to CT. So will the lockable “vault”. How important are these features to truck buyers? Well, they have never been offered before, so we don’t know yet. Would the ruggedness of a dent/bulletproof appeal to truck owner? I would be lying if I told you that doesn’t appeal to me, but I am not your typical truck buyer... I am just tired of parking in the back of the lot to avoid door dings. The 30X series cold rolled steel is a new material never offered as an automotive body material. Will it be a parlor trick/ good on paper feature or useful beyond what we never knew we wanted? We’ll find out!

EDIT: I think my comments above supports @RobStark since I’m interested but not a typical truck buyer...
I'm hoping Elon/Tesla start a Cybertruck de-ICEing service--what I mean by this is, customers can choose to add their CT to Tesla's de-ICEing service network, so when a S3XY owner gets ICE'd out at a Supercharger, they can notify Tesla, and Tesla will dispatch a local CT which will then autonomously drive over to the SC and tow the offending vehicle to the police station.

I think that'd be pretty cool and totally within the realm of possibility. Probably sell a lot of CTs that way, too.

I'm hoping Elon/Tesla start a Cybertruck de-ICEing service--what I mean by this is, customers can choose to add their CT to Tesla's de-ICEing service network, so when a S3XY owner gets ICE'd out at a Supercharger, they can notify Tesla, and Tesla will dispatch a local CT which will then autonomously drive over to the SC and tow the offending vehicle to the police station.

I think that'd be pretty cool and totally within the realm of possibility. Probably sell a lot of CTs that way, too.

An easier solution is add a button to report ICEing to Tesla uploading WebCam footage...

Tesla just needs to forward the footage to local law enforcement, who can simply send the offender a fine via mail.

AI could extract number plate details and photographic evidence from the video footage before sending to law enforcement.
In turn law enforcement can have a fully automated infringement processing system..
Law enforcement can decide if they want to tow / impound the cars of repeat offenders...