Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope this call finally puts to rest the rampant speculation on this board about all those models that soon will have 4680s. It will be 1,5 to 2 years before we see meaningfull quantities of those cells go into Plaids, Model Ys, Cybertrucks, Semis and so on. But not to worry, the current batteries are great, reliable and cheap - look at those auto gross margins - and next year production of those batteries will double. Tesla will grow incredibly fast, even without 4680 being ramped yet.

Are you new here? :p

In relation to the 4680 ramp, I think it is on track.
Drew(?) said yields were good.
So what they are doing is accelerated cycle testing of the cells.
If there is any issue impact on cell longevity, they are making production changes and repeating...
IMO there is a good chance several versions of the cell are in the test cycle in labs, and some test cells are driving around in cars.
What they want to achieve is, the ability to give an 8 year warranty on the cells, that doesn't need 8 years of testing.

The also announced suppliers are doubling production next year, some of that may be 4680, but again those cells need to be tested.
It is possible that some of that increased production is in proven 18650, 2170 and prismatic LFP formats.

Like FSD, volume 4680 cell production may take a bit longer than we initially expected, the end result is way more important than the timeframe.

Same goes for the refreshed Model S/X, if it was easy, or a minor upgrade, Tesla would not find it hard to hit the target date. These delays tell me the product is worth the wait. I'm sure they could have cut corners and delivered a less ambitious upgrade earlier. In the long run, getting it right, wil pay dividends.

Overall earnings was a solid result, around what most people expected.

In relation to regulatory credits, Tesla has a good idea what the numbers will be, that gives them a bit more flexibility on pricing and margins.
While it does remain a talking point, I;ve never seen any evidence that these credits are going away anytime soon.

This was as boring of an earnings call as it could possibly be - without being actually boring - given all the incredible and amazing things Tesla has achieved and is working on. Showing great maturity and giving critics less and less room to maneuver.

Regarding his amazing comment that the Model Y will be the fastest-selling vehicle across all categories in 2022... it ain't that impossible when you consider: the F-150 is the only one to beat to be #1, and there are two ways you can do that... you either sell more than the F-150, or you reduce F-150 sales. (or both) Cybertruck is going to be out in decent volume 2022. There will definitely be media reviews, youtube reviews, and lots of footage of the early Cybertrucks going through their paces. This will be enough to really put the brakes on F-150 demand, as lots of would-be Raptor/F-150 buyers decide to hold off and put orders in for Cybertruck. So the Cybertruck will be running interference for Model Y as the latter goes for the #1 sales touchline. Tesla will go from two worldwide factories producing Model Y in 2021 - including the (arguably) least-efficient one - to four in 2022, adding the two most efficient factories across the whole company.

Four factories pumping away at Model Y and Cybertruck gnawing at orders of the Ford F-150 will help Model Y get to #1.

Can't wait to see Ford's profits melt away in 2022, like some wax Henry Ford at a wax museum that's on fire.

How is Cybertruck going to be out in decent volume next year if 4680 production doesn't hit volume until around the end of 2022?

Brief aside, did anyone else notice the capital V in "Tesla Vision" on page 8 of the slide deck? Maybe new product name for the AI?

"We believe that a vision-only system is ultimately all that is needed for full autonomy. Our AI-based software architecture has been increasingly reliant on cameras, to the point where radar is becoming unnecessary earlier than expected. As a result, our FSD team is fully focused on evolving to a vision-based autonomous system and we are nearly ready to switch the US market to Tesla Vision."
Indeed. I did notice that. Very interesting.

Making the batteries doesn't seem to be the issue. The issue is reliability(with no details) according to Musk.

It's probably a good assumption that the problem is making them such that they are reliable. It's still a manufacturing problem because the way you decrease the percentage of rejects is to increase the consistency of manufacture. They may need to go places ordinary battery manufactures would not dream of going. As off the cuff examples, harnessing static electricity or electromagnetic fields or special "print" nozzles to evenly deposit powders at the precise moment. Their first prototype solution is probably not going to work consistently enough (gravity fed hopper rollers).

But I'm not worried, this is what Tesla is good at - figuring out better ways to achieve a given result.

From listening to the call, I noted at least twice when they were talking about issues ramping up batteries, they specifically said something like "4680 cells and the structural battery pack". To me it sounds like they are also having some delays related to figuring out how to produce the structural pack assembly.
I did not hear that. I heard that battery qualification for all the misuse cases takes time. The structural pack is likely not critical path compared to life and safety qualification of the battery. It is prudent to run with 2170's until sure on the big battery.

Regarding his amazing comment that the Model Y will be the fastest-selling vehicle across all categories in 2022... it ain't that impossible when you consider: the F-150 is the only one to beat to be #1

You mean Corolla, right?

Toyota sells like 20-30% more Corollas worldwide than Ford sells F-150s

(granted, at much lower profit per vehicle).

Rest of the F-150 stuff deleted as that's not at all the target Elon was going for in his claim the Y will be the best selling vehicle in the world.

BTW, Elon has since clarified/slightly walked back that on Twitter-

Elon Musk said:
Seems quite likely at least based on revenue in 2022 & possibly total units in 2023

Obviously since the price on the Y is like 2-3x a corolla now they only need to sell like 600k in 2022 to hit that target instead of 1.5 million or something, with the 1.5 million coming in 2023.

He also confirmed HW2.x owners will be able to get HW upgrade via FSD subscription... (though no details- like if they'll have to pay a HW cost or be locked in for a certain # of months... one of which I expect has to be true versus you can sign up for 1 month, get upgraded, then quit)

Last edited:
Elon taught me a lesson today. He didn't give a flying crap about that conf call, nor should he.

I stand by my rantings over the last month calling for leverage, but it's just silly to try and time anything with this company. Absolute blowout deliveries that pretty much ensure the plan is on track.....minimal reaction.

This quarter was great, but I think the lack of pizazz and guidance boost on the call may keep us relatively flat on SP. Maybe close the week at $750. Perhaps I'm wrong and we crack $800, but that'll be about it. Tho I do trust this new Zack system of under-promise and over-deliver

I'm excited to get back to pure HODLing and tracking this idea of 100% growth company with a 150/1 PE. We're clearly on track. When we hit thise numbers I'll start looking for leverage again.

* and maybe play some of the more obvious MMD's

I'm really liking the fact we can look at a P/E with some sort of gameplans and trajectory. A 50-100% growth monster shouldn't even be looking at profits let alone a decent P/E, but this'll be nice for shutting up the naysayers.

So this time next year are we looking at a $1T 150/1 PE company in the middle if back-to-back years of 100% growth? It's possible.....and would be absolutely absurd.
If Tesla ships 1M autos in 2021, I'd like to think TSLA will be valued at higher than $1T by next year.

I did not hear that. I heard that battery qualification for all the misuse cases takes time. The structural pack is likely not critical path compared to life and safety qualification of the battery. It is prudent to run with 2170's until sure on the big battery.

OK about 45 minutes into the call Zach says, and I quote very unexactly:

"we are heavy into 4680 development that Drew and team are working on and the structural battery pack that goes along with that. These are new technologies ... so we're investing heavily in the r&d side to work out those kinks and spend along in those areas should continue over time as we continue to work on development."