Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been reading the comments on that story. Very few see what's happening, already dug in with an agenda. Even water waste was brought up. Then someone mentioned the media added the part about the cul de sac and high speed after publishing it... Figures.

I dont think this will affect stock prices Monday any more than all the other FUD. Which it was.

If this inspires a TSLA dip at the opening tomorrow, it should be worth buying.

Ignore the comments from click2houston. The people there don’t have an agenda against Tesla, they just hate everything that is based on science and reality. It’s the only local news website for the city that allows comments, and for some reason, it’s full of conspiracy theories and hoaxes. It has become a local 4chan.
Aaah, Houston? We have a problem.

I completely cut off Alex Roy a few years ago when he wrote an article accusing Fred and Tesla of being in collusion with each other. It dripped with jealousy and resentment over what he perceived as favoritism.

Yeah I stopped following him too. He always places blame on Tesla and none on the morons in the car defeating the safety systems for an idiotic stunt.

Yes.
But there are some minor adjustments: as @JRP3 said you could shut down the car with no driver.
AP does immediately throw a warning when the seatbelt is unbuckled, but I'm not sure if the seat sensor is wired up to AP. This sensor can be used to not just detect weight, but movement consistent with an attentive driver.

With this accident, Tesla logs will show data to understand what was happening.
Couple points that I haven’t seen raised yet. What if the crashed car had FSD beta and therefore ‘AP’ was enabled. Also, it is an S, so no internal cam.
Couldn't accelerate that fast in that short of distance

Couple points that I haven’t seen raised yet. What if the crashed car had FSD beta and therefore ‘AP’ was enabled. Also, it is an S, so no internal cam.
Have seen tens of hours of fsd videos and have yet to see fsd beta accelerates to like hwy way speed in a short amount of time when there's no lane markings.

The car crashed shortly after they left the house, which means its impossible to climb from driver to passenger side during high g acceleration. We know it's impossible to put the car in drive if only the passenger try to drive the car without pressing the brake.

Most likely explanation is there was a driver who left the scene of the crash, or the driver ended up in the passenger seat during the crash.

It is weird that it's taking so long - but I doubt it is a real priority internally for Tesla now.

i have been imagining that the S&X production staff are being utilized to advance the staffing hiring and training required to open these 2 large facilities smoothly. And doing SO well that their value overrides production needs. Hope I’m right. :)

Zoomed in on the street photo Curt posted but didn’t have enough resolution on my IPhone to see a yellow center line or a white side line on that stretch of the road. Under those road conditions here in Idaho we certainly can’t use AP on our 2017 Model X. Perhaps a Google Maps Street View exercise....

Have seen tens of hours of fsd videos and have yet to see fsd beta accelerates to like hwy way speed in a short amount of time when there's no lane markings.

The car crashed shortly after they left the house, which means its impossible to climb from driver to passenger side during high g acceleration. We know it's impossible to put the car in drive if only the passenger try to drive the car without pressing the brake.

Most likely explanation is there was a driver who left the scene of the crash, or the driver ended up in the passenger seat during the crash.
So basically probably drunk and “let me show you Launch mode on my Tesla, it’s crazy!“ ?

The KPRC2 news reporter out of Houston reported the fire department fought the fire for fours and used 22,000 gallons of water.

Is water the correct fire extinguisher for a battery fire?

Seems to me, with a fire that small, I would have tried a different approach long before four hours. I went to firefighting school, but that was nearly fifty years ago.

Does anyone know the proper fire extinguisher?

FIREFIGHTING
USE WATER TO FIGHT A HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY FIRE. If the battery catches fire, is exposed to high heat, or is generating heat or gases, use large amounts of water to cool the battery. It can take approximately 3,000 gallons (11,356 liters) of water, applied directly to the battery, to fully extinguish and cool down a battery fire; always establish or request an additional water supply. If water is not immediately available, use dry chemicals, CO2, foam, or another typical fire-extinguishing agent to fight the fire until water is available.
Apply water directly to the battery. If safety permits, lift or tilt the vehicle for more direct access to the battery. Apply water inside the battery ONLY if a natural opening (such as a vent or opening from a collision) already exists. Do not open the battery for the purpose of cooling it.
Extinguish small fires that do not involve the high voltage battery using typical vehicle firefighting procedures. During overhaul, do not make contact with any high voltage components. Always use insulated tools for overhaul.
Heat and flames can compromise airbag inflators, stored gas inflation cylinders, gas struts, and other components which can result in an unexpected explosion. Perform an adequate knock down before entering a hot zone.
Battery fires can take up to 24 hours to extinguish. Consider allowing the battery to burn while protecting exposures.
After all fire and smoke has visibly subsided, a thermal imaging camera can be used to actively measure the temperature of the high voltage battery and monitor the trend of heating or cooling. There must not be fire, smoke, or heating present in the high voltage battery for at least one hour before the vehicle can be released to second responders (such as law enforcement, vehicle transporters, etc.). The battery must be completely cooled before releasing the vehicle to second responders or otherwise leaving the incident. Always advise second responders that there is a risk of battery re-ignition.
Second responders may choose to drain excess water out of the vehicle by tilting or repositioning it. This operation can assist in mitigating possible re-ignition.
Due to potential re-ignition, a Model S that has been involved in a submersion, fire, or a collision that has compromised the high voltage battery should be stored in an open area at least 50 ft (15 m) from any exposure.
Warning: When fire is involved, consider the entire vehicle energized. Always wear full PPE, including a SCBA.

Last edited:
The KPRC2 news reporter out of Houston reported the fire department fought the fire for fours and used 22,000 gallons of water.

Is water the correct fire extinguisher for a battery fire?

Seems to me, with a fire that small, I would have tried a different approach long before four hours. I went to firefighting school, but that was nearly fifty years ago.

Does anyone know the proper fire extinguisher?

Tesla has an Emergency Response Guide which speaks to this.

IMHO the conjecture about what happened only serves to amplify the FUD. The real story (that the data and investigation tells) will never get the bandwidth this is getting. They will be on to the next FUD headline by then.

I know it is the weekend OT, but can this go to another thread before the opening bell tomorrow?

I hate to continue the off topic discussion about the crash but just wanted to share with all:
  1. Red brake calipers (Very probably a performance Model S)
  2. 2nd rear parking brake caliper: probably AP1 car, i think they stopped doing this around the time of the refresh/AP2
Can't wait for Tesla to share details and put 100% of the blame on the driver with breakdown of every second before the crash.

So, I'm getting close to the reason I don't want to be in Tesla anymore - i.e. the wave to avert climate change can't be gotten rid of until that goal is satisfied.

Once the market cap doubles from here, I'm out and moving on to how to do good with this new found wealth towards other fields likely using the toolkits of philanthropy (i.e. time, ideas, and money) and investing. Also, living a nice, low-key life full of hobbies and family + friends.
Let's hope that you are right, not the movement being turned into another virtue signaling. Hydrogen infrastructure talk made me worry that politicians know no better.

Reactions: aubreymcfato