Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In actuality Tesla’s side cameras are capable of viewing objects over 93M miles away:)

Haha...seriously though, I think the main factor is the resolution of the sensor and the resolution at which they're processing the images. Assuming the resolution is high enough to get at the bare minimum a few pixels of an approaching car, it's probably enough for the NN to recognize that it's an approaching vehicle, as well as determining the speed of that approaching vehicle.

https://twitter.com/AlternateJones/status/1349448803460399105

Unconfirmed claim that there is a refreshed X coming out in March. Member stated his sales advisor called and told him that. No further details provided (as in, what was refreshed).

Hmm, so open up order configuration page in a week or two with first deliveries in March. I do wonder if the S and X updates are going to be on the same timeline or if the S will be slightly earlier.

Reactions: replicant
And that's without us poor Europeans not being able to invest in them. Really, really wish I could. Nevertheless, very impressive and encouraging.

A citizen of the EU can get long exposure to ARK funds like this:
1) Open and fund an account with Interactive Brokers,
2) Buy a call option and sell a put option in the desired ARK fund, both having identical expiry and strike.
3) Profit (?)

The strike price can be selected so the two option's premiums pretty much cancel out - the account will need collateral (cash or other long positions) to cover the exercise.
This is effectively 'synthetic' shares (exploiting the shares vs options equivalence).

I am unsure what happens at expiry (where either the call or the put option will be in the money), whether the shares are actually delivered. In the worst case where this is not possible, the contracts can be rolled to a new expiry date - if need be this can be done indefinitely.

Hmm, so open up order configuration page in a week or two with first deliveries in March. I do wonder if the S and X updates are going to be on the same timeline or if the S will be slightly earlier.

I think if there is an actual refresh it'll come out well before March. Maybe even in the Q4 ER. I suspect it's just minor changes, like maybe adding a USB port to the glovebox like the 3, or maybe getting the Octo-pump. I don't think the line was shut down long enough for a full, change-major-components refresh.

• Informative
Reactions: capster
I think if there is an actual refresh it'll come out well before March. Maybe even in the Q4 ER. I suspect it's just minor changes, like maybe adding a USB port to the glovebox like the 3, or maybe getting the Octo-pump. I don't think the line was shut down long enough for a full, change-major-components refresh.

The discussion of what the actual refresh will incorporate has been beaten to death so I won't really debate what it entails or doesn't. Anyone's guess is as good as others. But I don't think the amount of downtime is really that key cause who knows how long they've been preparing the retooling. 3-4 weeks could be plenty of time to do a full refresh if they planned appropriately. Tesla has been able to make minor cosmetic updates on the 3 lines all the time without ever stopping production.

What! You drove in India and you're still an atheist!

I recall my first taxi ride in India. Our taxi drive felt that another taxi had cut him off so he deliberately sideswiped the other taxi as we passed it.

Sorry...couldn't edit my post anymore. So to be clear: I was in the back seat of a taxi...dreaming of bioweapons defense mode in my MS for 3h55m of the trip....

I would never drive myself in India.

The discussion of what the actual refresh will incorporate has been beaten to death so I won't really debate what it entails or doesn't. Anyone's guess is as good as others. But I don't think the amount of downtime is really that key cause who knows how long they've been preparing the retooling. 3-4 weeks could be plenty of time to do a full refresh if they planned appropriately. Tesla has been able to make minor cosmetic updates on the 3 lines all the time without ever stopping production.

Sorry to add on to this......we don't really know any details about the production down time. It could've been 3-4 weeks to get new equipment on the lines and while they're starting up the lines this week, they could be running trial production for a couple weeks to work the kinks out. This is if they are doing a full refresh. Just pointing out that there's no reason to think the scope of changes/updates couldn't be vast just because the production lines were only down 3-4 weeks.

Here you go, folks, was just over a year back @ReflexFunds and @Fact Checking, I'm sure @The Accountant chimed-in too...

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

On the 1.25% $1,380m Mar-2021 converts, conversion price is $360 (3.8m shares). The call option feature on these is currently worth $494m. Tesla owns calls of this value to hedge potential dilution, but it has also sold warrants with a $561 strike (currently worth $193m)

On the 2.38% $978m Mar-2022 converts, conversion price is $327.5 (3m shares). The call option on these is currently worth $518m. Tesla owns calls of this value to hedge potential dilution, but it has also sold warrants with a $655 strike (currently worth $188m)

On the 2.0% $1,840m May-2024 converts, conversion price is $310 (6m shares). The call option on these is currently worth $1,311m. Tesla owns calls of this value to hedge potential dilution, but it has also sold warrants with a $607.5 strike (currently worth $745m)
I was making fun of you forgetting. And I miss your drunk posts :(

Reactions: Tslynk67
Wow, I'm an idiot.

Somehow I duplicated an order on Monday and ordered 65 shares in both my IRA and taxable account when I only meant to do the IRA order. The broker called today: "Um, 4chi, what's up?...You need to deposit money in your taxable account, you've never done margin before." Me: "Oh!" Fortunately they immediately approved margin on the account. So I guess I'm leveraged now. (Actually, I'm depositing most of the amount to cover it today, I'm not anxious for a highly leveraged position.)

I guess this was the universe telling me I needed more shares (or I'm an idiot).

Very nearly all highway wear and tear is caused by trucks.

Well don't tell anyone but my P3D can rip chunks right out of the road surface! Of course that's only when the surface is ready to fail anyway but there is no way that kind of force doesn't greatly accelerate the eventual failure of a road at any stage of it's life by micro-cracking and allowing more water to seep into the asphalt.

However, you're right, trucks really are the biggest contributor to road degradation and improving the damping of truck suspensions would be a cost-effective way to save billions in road replacement costs. Anyone complaining about EV's getting a free ride should note that, even though trucks pay far higher taxes than cars, the higher fees don't even come close to making trucks pay their fair share. And that's before considering that trucks require the road to be built to much more expensive standards.

Nothing is fair in this world and it's not EV's and renewable energies that are getting the sweetheart deals.

Blasphemy!......I suspect you're going to get a lot of Disagrees ;)
When I first got my model X I thought the falcon doors were sort of gimmicky, but it fit my needs better than anything else available at the time. After having driven it for a year; it’s one of my favorite features. Especially having kids… Powered falcon doors for school drop offs is amazing.

I was making fun of you forgetting. And I miss your drunk posts :(

Not sure I'm much different sober, TBH!

I'm trying to cut out the OT stuff here - as was requested by the moderator ten days back.

But follow me on Twitter if you want some booze pictures - even though it's Dry January, digging up some older photos to post.

Benzinga - 18 minutes ago; Tesla Supplier Panasonic Plans Cheap, Cobalt-Free Battery In 2-3 Years

Excerpt;

"Two or three years from now, we will be able to introduce a cobalt-free high energy-density cell," Shawn Watanabe, Panasonic head of energy technology and manufacturing, said at the 2021 Consumer Electronics Show, according to a Nikkei report. Panasonic is Tesla’s longtime battery supplier and now produces lithium-ion batteries.