Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Arg, tried to place a sell for a block of Jan 15 400 calls at $410 and RBC direct investing can't seem to get the order through while I watched the bid move up to $411 and they should have sold. It's been stuck at pending for the last 20 mins. I've found them to be really bad sometimes, and now it looks like I've lost that sale. I've about had it with these guys. Thinking I should move everything to a better broker - what do people in Canada like to use?

These are the guys who never delivered my split shares for about 3 days, during which it appeared I had lost 4/5 of my account value.

Got about 20+ texts today from people i told to buy $TSLA back in March 2020....Some said "Holy s**t, Thank you!"..some said "Congrats!", majority that did not listen said "F U"!

+1. I have a 60 year old friend who is so bummed he sold his TSLA a couple years ago. He has to work at least another 5 years. Meanwhile I'm retiring at 50 and airplane shopping.... :D

Arg, tried to place a sell for a block of Jan 15 400 calls at $410 and RBC direct investing can't seem to get the order through while I watched the bid move up to $411 and they should have sold. It's been stuck at pending for the last 20 mins. I've found them to be really bad sometimes, and now it looks like I've lost that sale. I've about had it with these guys. Thinking I should move everything to a better broker - what do people in Canada like to use?

These are the guys who never delivered my split shares for about 3 days, during which it appeared I had lost 4/5 of my account value.

I was so mad at the way they handled the split-share, I closed all my accounts and moved to another FI. And goodbye to the primitive trading interface.

Employer paid some money into my pension today (SIPP, UK), so I bought a small handful of shares. With fees & currency conversion (GBP>USD) $815 roughly. Feels a bit weird considering the lower prices I paid before, but am very confident on Tesla & therefore long term $TSLA (in that order).
Give it an hour or so and you’ll be quids in.......

Tesla's S&P 500 Inclusion Part 2: Predicting the transformation of the TSLA float

@FrankSG nailed this analysis... he predicted SP had chance of > $800 back in November.. i need to remind myself that the TMC forum analysis is always way ahead of the market ...

it is truly an honor to be part of this "virtual investment club" ... the work submitted here is second to none and those who have invested their time here have reaped some pretty handsome rewards ....

now back to work ...o_O

EDIT : for SP context TSLA closed $567 at the time of @FrankSG post on 11/30/20

"This would mean total unfulfilled TSLA demand of 71.5M shares.... wait... that's higher than before! This means that market makers would have to buy more shares for each $1 move upwards in the stock price, than shares from sellers would become available, and this is what some have been referring to as the 'infinity squeeze'." - frankly Frank, thanks for your frankness @FrankSG

It's insane how far Tesla keeps going up.
Personally, I think the stock price has gotten ahead of itself in the short-term.
Maybe a hair, but all the buying that "needed" to be done at inclusion has clearly not been processed. This is triggering short covering, delta hedging, more short covering.

We shall see how many more funds want to get in on this ride before the Robinhood crowd gets any more stimulus in their accounts. Kinda hard to beat a benchmark when the #1 juggernaut isn't represented at scale in your funds.

This feels very close to what was expected at inclusion. We should've known the typical TSLA response over the least 18 months has been a 2-10 day delayed reaction. :)

Yep, I had a ladder of sell limits between 700 and 800 waiting for the squeeze. Never triggered on inclusion day so I nuked them. Now just leisurely selling a bit here and there, first to kill margin, now for an additional year's worth of emergency cash.
It's always amusing to read about how people justify their bearish actions.

My excuse was that I was afraid that political turmoil around US elections would tank the stock market, so I got out of most of my investments on November 3. I'm still half cash, as I've slowly been getting back in. But still managed to 10x my entire account in 2020, so I'm good.

Personally, I think the stock price has gotten ahead of itself in the short-term.
I think that thought is reasonable but the question is, where else would those selling put their money? We are looking at a Democratic government that will boost green stocks to the moon, have billions in new money that can't sell, and no real competition. Plus a possibly huge catalyst in the near term with FSD.

Either way, selling doesn't make sense with this beautifully crazy stock. Maybe trimming to get out of margin etc. but holding has been the clear winner. Cheers.

I think that thought is reasonable but the question is, where else would those selling put their money? We are looking at a Democratic government that will boost green stocks to the moon, have billions in new money that can't sell, and no real competition. Plus a possibly huge catalyst in the near term with FSD.

Either way, selling doesn't make sense with this beautifully crazy stock. Maybe trimming to get out of margin etc. but holding has been the clear winner. Cheers.

"and no real competition" - Think you meant to say NO COMPETITION :)

I should have done that too, but I was swept up in the euphoria of the ATM at the time, Model 3 had just launched, what could go wrong? My expectation was to ride the wave up holding leaps and swap back to shares when the run was over.

However, a sharp drop happened in just a short time and before I realized it my leaps were at 1/3rd of what I had paid. At that time I decided instead of getting out to ride it out (they were leaps). That was wrong, I should have sold at a loss. Eventually they recovered enough that I rolled them to buy myself more time.

I just finished a week of webcasts and online course on TD Ameritrade on options strategies and trading over the holiday break... I really appreciate your honesty in posting this ... after the class i still had this nagging feeling what are they not telling me ... i did a bunch of practice trades on Paper Money (TD Ameritrades ) trading simulation tool .... lost money...

the class session on covered calls went like this "just sell covered calls worst thing that can happen is you lose your shares at a gain "

well from my POV that is the worst possible outcome ... why.... i would have to pay taxes and may not ever see the SP again made some small profit but lost the shares

your post is a real world lesson ....:(

Edit : would only have to pay the taxes now in my trading account 401K shares are tax free in short term ...

Last edited:
Yep, I had a ladder of sell limits between 700 and 800 waiting for the squeeze. Never triggered on inclusion day so I nuked them. Now just leisurely selling a bit here and there, first to kill margin, now for an additional year's worth of emergency cash.
What, you don't count your assets in terms of Tesla shares? Mine went up a bit, but barely so in 2020. Less than 5% may be.

Since stocks are an investment, people buy them with the expectation that they will go up so they can profit from them.

The price of a stock is not based on "short term". It's based on what investors see as the future potential.

If investors see a lot of future potential in a company, the price goes up (before that potential is even realized) because people want to own the investment as it appreciates.
If investors see no future potential, the price goes down, before that failure is even fully realized (NKLA, anyone?), because they don't want to own it as it depreciates.

Just like you want to own a house if you expect the housing market will increase, and you want to get rid of a house if you know the housing market will soon plummet. (Even though it may not have risen or plummeted yet).

So saying the price is high based on the short term doesn't make a lot of sense to me IMHO. It's either high because there's a lot of future potential, or low because there's little future potential. It's not about the "now".

Last edited:
I learned a lesson the hard way, don’t swap all your shares for options when the stock is at ATH. I did that in Jan 2019 and my portfolio went from $400K to under $22K in three month’s time. :eek:

I recovered and that same portfolio is now in the seven figures (without adding cash) but it was very stressful.

Glad you made it out of that hell-hole!

Can you share what the $400K in shares would be worth today if you had just let the stock sit there? Assuming it's not too painful, of course!