Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah......this was my worry and suspicion. That things were being said on the call that the shareholders weren't getting access to. This would allow the FUD/media/wall st to run with a doomsday narrative which they have. I just can't understand Teslas part in this. Why shaft shareholders? And why aren't they defending the share price? I've invested in a lot of companies over the past 15 years and as a shareholder, I've never been put in a situation like this
It’s really odd. It’s almost as if Tesla wants the share price to tank by being so opaque. In order for some bigger entity to buy shares

Still hearing lots of swirl about how the price drops must mean a lack of demand. Well, that's one possibility. The other possibility, and the one that I am leaning towards, is that Tesla is shifting their supply curve.

Tesla is at a stage where economies of scale are still very important, and where gaining and holding market share is critical. Cutting costs and then having a corresponding round of price cuts is a classic example of shifting your supply curve to the right. Lower price, higher quantity of units sold and at a margin somewhere similar to previous levels.

picture1.png

Wow, someone just placed a ~570k buy order (10:40). Not macro related - all the indices were quiet at that point, it was a TSLA trade - although it could be a well informed member of the China trade negotiations team ...

Could be Chanos covering - if there's someone then the head conman should know that the short thesis is dead. Or some billionaire saying "These bozos don't seem to understand that you should never bet against Elon ..."? :D

I'm a bit surprised that Tesla aren't making official comment on this China story, this is a bit poor.

Regarding M3 pricing adaptations, I love it. Regarding stores closing, I love it (except for the potential job losses) Regarding the 40% drop in SXP100DL pricing, I'm totally confused...

Ya tesla has it's own Twitter handle.. IR should use it to put out fires ..have said it many times here ...

Chepo trade, but bought some jan 21 600+..

Reactions: Tslynk67
Can someone decode today’s accounting ledger analysis with the “TSLA will liquidate this year” narrative?
Tesla Unsecured Debt: Recovery Tops Out At ~30c (If You're Lucky) - Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha
Sorry, won't even read it. I don't waste my time on garbage like this any more.

If you are curious about the 2% that is true:

Assuming this is 98% FUD:

What is true (and apparent in the financial statements) is nearly all of Tesla's assets have asset-backed loans against them. Much of this is "non-recourse" but the rest of the assets secure one giant revolving line of credit. (Interestingly, the big line of credit has a list of companies who the debt cannot be transferred to, including most of the auto companies worldwide.) The remaining unsecured debt (mostly the convertibles and the 2025s) has to be paid off from cash or profits.

Apologies for any disagreement; I've been primarily using cash accounting because accrual accounting has too much hinkiness in it to be useful right now. Tesla's warranty reserves are fairly accurate so that is useful (though I don't believe they're that high for Model 3 -- do you have a citation?) but the depreciation is screwball and doesn't correspond to the real world (which is unfortunately normal for corporate depreciation).

I worked out the warranty manually by figuring out S/X over past years then holding that steady and tracking the changing model 3 allocation. It takes some modelling. It has fallen a lot and represents a big chunk of improved savings on the COGS for model 3 over the last year. ReflexFund put up a model here that was qualitatively thorough but he put overoptimistic ranges on all the individual line items. Base Model 3 was ~37k$-38k$ in Q4 and that number is not coming down very fast.

edit: $1730 is my exact figure, and I know that's still high relative to BMW models but that might very well be appropriate.

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: humbaba and neroden
WTF is wrong with the SEC? Here we have an obvious violation of Regulation FD by Tesla, disclosing this MATERIAL INFORMATION to Deutsche Bank and not to the rest of us, and they're complaining about a harmless tweet?

This is NOT OK

This means if you take GAAP gross profit (revenue - variable costs - allocated costs like depreciation) and add back depreciation (revenue - variable costs), gross profit on the car is $1500. Very useful information; this is slightly better than I expected, since I'm on record as saying $500. :)

In short, the base model 3 is profitable and cash-flow positive but is not yet covering the capital costs of the machinery which is being used to build it (depreciation). Well, actually, I don't know how much depreciation there is in there, if depreciation is less than $1500/car then GAAP gross profit would still be positive, just not as positive. I've no idea how to estimate how much depreciation they're allocating; they spent billions on capital costs, depreciated some of it already, had to write off some of it, and we have no idea how long each piece of equipment or tooling is being depreciated over, so who knows. I am not fond of depreciation as an accounting concept.
Yeah right 300% percent is only slightly better;)

Last edited:
... so I'd go with the middle ground for Q1 so far: 85k production, 60k+ deliveries if European delivery hell is resolved.

I think we can safely say that European delivery hell has been resolved, judging by the large number of deliveries per day now being reported from Norway, Germany and The Netherlands. Elon didn't waste time when he cut out the Zeebrugge handler within one week, and that seems to have been the right decision.

The problem with official communications from Tesla is that you have to be 100% sure it is accurate. Which means a lot of people have to review the info. Which means it isn’t worth doing for items that will get fixed within a matter of days. Lord knows there is more FUD out there than even we have noticed. Tesla can’t address all of it.

Look, assuming Tesla doesn’t need to issue more stock, the stock price is fairly irrelevant to Tesla right now. It’ll get back up after a quarterly report or two. The SR model 3 pretty much ensures that. The broad market is just nervous about margins, trade issues, fed tax credit expiry affecting demand, a whole bunch of things. The only way the market is going to get reassured is quarterly results.

Just treat this as a buying opportunity. I personally can’t since I bought a lot of TSLA after Elon’s $420 tweet and I was too stupid to unload it for break even when the stock price got back up to $374 for a few hours. My bad.

I don't think this China halt happens without some direction from high-up officials. This is more than labels. I would refrain from thinking "this will be over soon".
No, this is labels.

China is a *very bureaucratic* country -- has been for thousands of years. Shanghai and Guangzhou have more piratical cultures, but the Beijing central government culture is very red-tape, dot the is, cross the ts. They're just doing what they do. It's unfortunate that Tesla has been pretty bad at this sort of dot the i, cross the t paperwork for most of its history (they are still pretty crap at getting registration paperwork filed correctly), so there may be further tangles.

Wow, someone just placed a ~570k buy order (10:40). Not macro related - all the indices were quiet at that point, it was a TSLA trade - although it could be a well informed member of the China trade negotiations team ...

Could be Chanos covering - if there's someone then the head conman should know that the short thesis is dead. Or some billionaire saying "These bozos don't seem to understand that you should never bet against Elon ..."? :D
Nah it was only 155 million...just chump change

Which is really crazy for a company completely dedicated to online sales. Don't they think people will want an accurate timeline regarding the vehicle they are considering ordering? I know they have been blowing this off for years, but they definitely need to keep the estimates up to date at this point.
Amazon promised "guaranteed two day delivery" and then shipped product to me in four days. Recently. Apparently companies can blow this sort of stuff off for a very long time.

That said, yes of course Tesla should fix it.

Wonder when Tesla will realize it's time for damage control.

Leaving investors with a bunch of questions unanswered about a major decision is never a good plan. They'll invent the worst possible scenarios in their minds.

Talk:
  • Margins
  • Volume
  • Demand
  • Stores

Very true....with the new BOD members, I expected better messaging.....so far, it's been a disaster.

It's hard sometimes for me to ignore the short term chaos and look at the bigger picture. I think EVs are the future of transportation, and Tesla will be a big player in that market. But that's just cars. Tesla's energy products could be even more profitable.
I would correct you by saying the energy products WILL be even more profitable.

Dan

Not a lot of people know this, but after the public conference call that us plebes can listen to, analysts call back in and have private 1-1 calls with management where they get to ask more questions. So Rosner may very well have gotten his info then.
This is explicitly against SEC regulations, so I repeat, WTF, SEC.