Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would Tesla cut off this access if they weren't planning on rolling out similar functionality themselves? Or possibly features that required a more locked-down API.

They could be blocking it off because they thought there was a security issue that could be exploited so they shut it down until they fix whatever issues they know about. Just a guess.

Another possibility is that they want to change the API and don't want to support anything that uses the existing API

Million mile battery, I am tired of discussions
1000 mile or more battery, tired of discussion.
What they need is capacity, more batteries more batteries, more batteries.
Building all this car capacity, having truck, euro car, asia car, big rig truck, super sales on model Y
Need the batteries, lots of them.
They have proven they will advance range over time. Thermal cracking and formulations being studies.

Battery day, I want the production explained.
They likely need to keep current suppliers engaged while making their own.

upload_2020-9-10_13-42-33.png

Averages are worthless when there is one huge yes-or-no, feast-or-famine determinant that overshadows everything else. Hence, the cancer cure analogy.

Either robotaxis happen or they do not. This is the basis of Ark's two separate share price scenarios: (1) $3,400 and less or (2) $15K and greater.

This is true in terms of the scenarios presented by ARK. However Autopilot/FSD is also a huge competitive edge for Tesla over the ICE manufacturers. The fact that Tesla has it available will force other manufacturers to also offer an equivalent or near equivalent. They will have to follow Tesla's lead in including the sensor suite in all of their cars and develop or obtain the software (from Mobileye or equivalent). This will increase the cost of their vehicles and the design activity required across all model ranges will be significant.

The more functional FSD becomes the lack of this capability from the competitors will be more obvious.

Reactions: Lessmog and UncaNed
Possibly OT. Possibly indicative of something...

Tesla has blocked third-party access to their API, including TeslaFi: Looks like Teslafi has been blocked by Tesla : teslamotors

Would Tesla cut off this access if they weren't planning on rolling out similar functionality themselves? Or possibly features that required a more locked-down API.
Maybe I'm biased by my job, but I'd expect a privately reported security issue. And I see @Chunky Jr. had the same thought.

That was what I'd expected, a reversion to the decline in short interest. Still, my calculation is that the value at risk increased substantially to $27B (~34% increase!) due to the rise in stock price. In other words, net covering did not keep up with the increase.

We will have to wait for Sep 24th to learn the short interest on the fifteenth, but I expect the shares shorted to have increased. Given the market action I am positive there was a significant jump in short interest starting with Sep 1st and given the tenacity of $TSLA shorts I don't expect them to have covered back down by then.

That was what I'd expected, a reversion to the decline in short interest. Still, my calculation is that the value at risk increased substantially to $27B (~34% increase!) due to the rise in stock price. In other words, net covering did not keep up with the increase.

We will have to wait for Sep 24th to learn the short interest on the fifteenth, but I expect the shares shorted to have increased. Given the market action I am positive there was a significant jump in short interest starting with Sep 1st and given the tenacity of $TSLA shorts I don't expect them to have covered back down by then.

200w.gif

Million mile battery, I am tired of discussions
1000 mile or more battery, tired of discussion.
What they need is capacity, more batteries more batteries, more batteries.
Building all this car capacity, having truck, euro car, asia car, big rig truck, super sales on model Y
Need the batteries, lots of them.
They have proven they will advance range over time. Thermal cracking and formulations being studies.

Battery day, I want the production explained.
They likely need to keep current suppliers engaged while making their own.

This is exactly what I think (hope) they will do. Not a million mile battery, not a thousand mile range. That’s not what the world needs. No, Tesla will show us a path to building out at least 2TW of battery production capacity with a much smaller footprint, much cheaper and much faster. Where battery costs, capacity and efficiency make huge improvements, which will kill off ICEs within a few years.

Seriously though, if the S&P had announced inclusion when TSLA was on such at tear already up to 500, the stock would have gone to the moon with so many people playing the lack of liquidity. As much as I would like to profit off a move like that, I think Tesla will probably have to make more than the number shares they already made available to be included in the S&P 500. And to be totally honest, I just want the S&P 500 inclusion behind us so we can focus on less artificial things like battery day and Q3 and Q4 numbers.

And to be totally honest, I just want the S&P 500 inclusion behind us so we can focus on less artificial things like battery day and Q3 and Q4 numbers.
I agree, but I think the best way to approach it now is to ignore the S&P element entirely. It doesn't affect the performance of the company, the number of batteries it's producing or any objective aspect other than SP. We all want SP to continue through the roof, but since it relies on the whim of others, the best policy is to just ignore it unless/until it happens. It's a potential upside surprise and that's all.

This is how you make solar tiles:-
  1. Find out most popular sized tile
  2. Source locally as they weigh loads (concrete)
  3. Drill hole in it (6cm?)
  4. Glue a small solar cell/panel to it, pushing cable through hole
  5. Throw to roofer, put on roof, use normal tiles for awkward shapes
  6. Connect up cables - higher voltage than normal - various reasons including fewer cables
  7. Er, cup of tea.
I think it's inspired. I never liked putting a small wing (solar panel) on a roof which wasn't designed for it. Not sure of economics.

Perhaps they are staging for two form authentication.
That is certainly a more pleasant thought, but:

- unannounced outages are usually a denial of service

- unannounced service suspension is usually a security issue

but of course your suggestion cannot be ruled out. Without official word it is all just guess work

[edit: I wanted to note that if the service is suspended due to a privately reported security issue then I think Tesla is doing the right thing: fixing a problem. This is how I like to see things handled. Of course, if this is the cause, then once it has been proven addressed a public notice about "hey, we found this and fixed it" is much appreciated. Transparency in security should not be feared.]