Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to use AT&T for 4G LTE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a significant problem with tethering if you are on a CDMA carrier (sprint/Verizon). The most recent handsets (galaxy s4/htc one/etc.) have moved to a chipset that doesn't allow an Internet connection over 3G and CDMA cell phone conversations at the same time. They only do internet and phone at the same time if it is on 4g lte or wifi. This is a recent drop as they took out the second antenna to save money and are hoping to offset the capability loss by having more 4g lte coverage. Thus, unless you are currently connected to 4g lte, you wouldn't be able to use the Internet (navigator/browser) while talking on the phone. This is particularly more of an issue because driving will likely take you in and out of 4g lte.

This change happened earlier this year and really started to be noticed as the galaxy 4s and htc one debuted.

Normally, this isn't a huge issue if you are just sitting still in 4g coverage and using Internet while making a phone call, but it won't work while traveling, which is the primary use of a car the last I checked.

this will be especially bad for sprint users, which have far less 4g lte than Verizon users.

Figuring all this out is probably a big part of the 5.x delay for most users.

unfortunately, the best option for us sprint users will probably be to put an unlimited data 3g (preferably a 3G and 4g lte capable) Hotspot in the car and have both the home and car connect to it. This solves keeps both the car and the phone connected to the Internet when a call is received. Or just pay for AT&T for the car, which ever is cheaper... Ether way it is going to be costly to keep this car connected ( which I'm guessing tesla knows that fact all too well by now).

Maybe by tesla continuing to pay our collective AT&T bill, we can get one massive group discount and we will just pay tesla back for a sick price compared to other options.

Last edited:
Tasker if you have an Android phone. Pretty easy.
Not with my last phone. Kept dropping Bluetooth connection between calls. Motorola phone was only a year old. Tesla said it was "too old" so I paid the unsubsidized rate for an HTC one and it does the same thing. Funny, Tesla says its still my phone's fault and they can't (won't) do anything about it. I still drive arround with an earpiece and if my wife hadn't stolen the car I would be really mad.

Not with my last phone. Kept dropping Bluetooth connection between calls. Motorola phone was only a year old. Tesla said it was "too old" so I paid the unsubsidized rate for an HTC one and it does the same thing. Funny, Tesla says its still my phone's fault and they can't (won't) do anything about it. I still drive arround with an earpiece and if my wife hadn't stolen the car I would be really mad.

I never had a problem with the Bluetooth in my MS until I started playing with smart watches. The combination of multiple paired devices in the car confused the phone and/or the MS. When you were having problems, was your headset also in the car? Something to try.

Otherwise I wouldn't let Tesla off the hook.

My wife and I each have an htc one. Neither has dropped the Bluetooth connection. The only thing that has happened is ht it has stopped. Syncing contacts. I got that fixed by re-pairing (and making sure to click ok when it asks if I want to share contacts with the model s). If yours is dropping Bluetooth, something is probably interfering with the signal or there is something ring with the Bluetooth on the phone or the car. Make sure your phone is no where near your fob, as they o interfere for other things... Maybe that is the issue.

Two points:

1) Firmware 5.6 finally activates WiFi, so you can tether your MS to your phone or tablet if you prefer.
2) A year ago the talk was about a "skinny" free connection that would enable remote diagnostics and the smartphone apps, and a "fat" for-fee data connection for all the center-console stuff. It'll be interesting to see if indeed that's what's happening. Otherwise, tethering doesn't do everything I want -- particularly I'd miss the smartphone app.

How can you even set up auto tether? I thought you have to enable it every time. I'm not doing that.

NFC tag. When I put my phone down in the floor I get asked to turn on Wi-Fi sharing every time! Windows Phone requires a key press to activate Wi-Fi sharing, Android phones can turn it on with only the NFC read. iPhone people should switch phones, or send their complaints to Apple.

The intersection of tethering-supported plans and unlimited-bandwidth plans is the null set. At least, from what I've seen when researching it. So, for me at least, it definitely matters.

Functionally I have an unlimited tethering plan. I have a 5GB tethering plan from T-Mobile (at 4G speeds), that throttles back to EDGE speeds after 5GB. But I have not been throttled in the ~3-4 years I have had the plan. I pay ~$120 a month for two phones (the other phone is on the 2GB plan, and has had warnings of throttling but been over 5GB without throttling). I do have to pay full price for my phones though, no subsidy.

Two points:

1) Firmware 5.6 finally activates WiFi, so you can tether your MS to your phone or tablet if you prefer.
2) A year ago the talk was about a "skinny" free connection that would enable remote diagnostics and the smartphone apps, and a "fat" for-fee data connection for all the center-console stuff. It'll be interesting to see if indeed that's what's happening. Otherwise, tethering doesn't do everything I want -- particularly I'd miss the smartphone app.

For those who got the tech package, was anything disclosed about navigation requiring a data plan? If not, then we'd lose some major functionality (Google Maps) if we'd choose to opt out of the data plan. That wouldn't be right.

I believe AT&T uses the same standard as Europe, so much better partner from a hardware standpoint.

Yes. AT&T's network uses GSM, the same standard as European carriers. I think it was easier for Tesla to use GSM rather than CDMA, a standard that is less common outside the US an Japan.

The only other GSM option in the USA for Tesla would be T-Mobile, but T-Mobile's HSPA+ coverage is not as comprehensive as AT&T outside major metro areas.

For those who got the tech package, was anything disclosed about navigation requiring a data plan? If not, then we'd lose some major functionality (Google Maps) if we'd choose to opt out of the data plan. That wouldn't be right.
It's always been my understanding that 17" nav (Google maps) requires a data plan and instrument cluster nav (Tech package?) doesn't. I don't recall to what degree it was officially stated, intuited on TMC, or common sense (or what combination thereof).