Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla (the company) killing itself slowly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you dont have any personal experience with this issue?

When I heard about it I tested it and I couldn’t book an appointment either so I am effected but it haven’t hindered me personally as I didn’t have a service issue. Even if it would hinder me it doesn’t change the fact that for a service center to start admitting they see many people with the same issue it needs to be decently widespread in this area at least.

When I heard about it I tested it and I couldn’t book an appointment either so I am effected but it haven’t hindered me personally as I didn’t have a service issue. Even if it would hinder me it doesn’t change the fact that for a service center to start admitting they see many people with the same issue it needs to be decently widespread in this area at least.
We can just leave the conversation at that.:rolleyes:

Reactions: erik_k
As I posted up thread I made an appointment with the mobile app about a clunking sound that has repeated on my car multiple times but keeps coming back. There is a high probability it will need a air strut replaced as they did the other side and would have done this one too but found another item that made a clunking sound in the same area that they fixed and it did resolved the issue, but now it is back.

I put a comment on what I thought the issue might be. My mobile tech appointment was schedule for about 6 days from today. This afternoon I received a call from the mobile team that told me they did not think mobile service was going to be able to address my issue and I would have to bring it to the service center. Good call. The agent was very friendly and offered me a few appointments within a couple of days of the original service appointment. And even better they went over my prior service records with me on the phone and agreed with my diagnostics. So much so they are going to have the technicians assume that is the issue, apply the chassis ears directly on the suspect area and determine if it is that part. If not, then they will back into a general diagnosis.

And it even gets better. They are pre ordering the suspect part to insure that it is ready for me when I arrive. I am going to do my part by staying at the SC for this so they do not have to give up a precious rental car unless the first attempt fails. I picked an early time to hopefully get into the days queue quickly.

This is the way the service should work and what generally has worked this way in the past for me.

And BTW she also stated they are amending the app so people can request a SC visit and provide more information too. She was not aware of when that change would appear but it clearly is a known deficiency by Tesla from her perspective.

And where does the money come from to pay for more employees? Is there a company that follows those standards?
.. Which would be:
>>Tesla do need to establish and meet some very basic customer service standards:
  • Respond materially to 80% of emails in 4 working hours and 99% in 3 working days
  • Respond to voice mails within 4 hours, even by email or text message
  • Ensure voicemail boxes never fill up
  • Answer the phone at customer service within 5 minutes
>>Wouldn't take a lot of extra staffing expense to improve their service to these levels.

Well yes it would add staff.

For Service Centers: they should add some front-office customer-interaction people. Some locations are OK (ex: Marietta, GA) some aren't and will need (say) an average of 2 extra staff for half their 378 centers, == 378 people at a loaded cost of $70Kpa each, which computes to quarterly bottom line impact of $6.6M. Very affordable.

For the Sales process: Each online Sales Rep needs an assistant to manage customer interactions when Tesla has no news or when the customers are beginning to freak out. I don't know how many Sales Reps they have, but it must be a bunch.
With (say) 50K deliveries in final month, assume each online Sales Rep can handle 5 deliveries a day, 100 in a month, that computes to 500 Sales Reps. Assistants are cheaper (but need office space) so (say) a loaded cost of $50Kpa each for a quarterly bottom line impact of $6.25M. Again, very affordable.

For the 1-800 line, with its 30 to 60 minute waits, you have a classic Queuing Theory issue. You only really need to add staff proportional to the number of callers who drop off before the phone is answered. Tesla will have data on that, but they probably need only about another 10% to 20% more staff to get typical waits down before to 5 minutes. Getting answers down to the third ring, for example, requires having idle staff, but getting most calls answered in 5 minutes doesn't normally result in significant idle time. I have no good feel for the cost here, but something in the range of $5M - $10M per quarter?

Based on this crude financial analysis, fixing Tesla's customer responsiveness issue would cost around $20M per quarter, perhaps $25M.

This doesn't address people who think they deserve a loaner or other special treatment, and perhaps S&X customers do deserve them if the car will be in the shop overnight, but that's another issue.

Reactions: VifferFun
Elon's probably patenting it under "method to minimize warranty costs". :p

I am afraid that Elon thinks that the best service is no service with no service number available... :cool:

EA0raYHXUAEbaAi.jpg

@PWlakewood & Ofarlig i am having a crap time trying to book an appointment it has now been over a month the app does not work (for me) the have now started to send text messages (WTF is wrong with people just picking up the phone im 100 miles from the nearest SC)

i run an auto diagnostics buisness and i am now getting tempted to buy tesla tools and equipment to do the jobs my self and for others who need work done.the only trouble is parts (they are not contactable by phone either).

i was in europe 2 weeks ago and stopped a ARHCEN supercharger there was a 90 year old man with his M3 (2000 miles old) would not charge it took 3 hours to get through to tesla to come to his rescue and it ws almost 100f outside.

tesla as a company wont survive this if they dont do something fast arrogance will kill the company...

• Love
Reactions: neroden
It’s not all bad news. Tesla is legally barred from direct sales to MS and LA but people are buying Teslas anyway. I’m awaiting a pick-up/Delivery appointment of a Used Tesla P85D. Have to pick it up outside the state even but I’ve wanted one for years. Finally on a visit to CA I got on Turo and rented an 85D for a day and a SR 3. Wife vetoed the 3 for lack of display in front of driver which is fine with me as I preferred an S anyway.
So with no Showroom, no direct sales ability and only a handful of Teslas registered in MS you’d think Tesla would give up on MS and similarly LA.

To my very pleasant surprise I just learned Tesla opened a brand new Service Center in Pearl, MS 2 months ago in May 2019. It’s in the neighboring city to the state Capitol Jackson, MS and close to Interstate 20. This will be great if I need service for my P85D.

Similarly Tesla is building a new Service Center in LA, down near/in New Orleans.

On one hand these new Service Centers are strategically placed along routes of interstate travel for the benefit of any affected Tesla owners, AND they make Tesla vehicle purchases much more feasible for prospective customers.

In the long run I believe it’ll eventually help sway the state governments into acknowledging Tesla sales and hopefully get the laws changed to allow direct in-state sales. The more actual Tesla owners in the state means there’s more chance for politicians and people of influence to experience a Tesla and ultimately apply pressure to lawmakers.

So I do acknowledge and fear all the negative stories in this thread and fervently hope my pending delivery of my P85D won’t require any service right away I do feel it important to acknowledge that Tesla IS spending money to build new Service Centers around the country. Hopefully in time they’ll also go back to improving staffing and communication.

Personal aside, my Honda Accord Hybrid was at the dealership for 2 months with no contact other than my own follow-up calls or in-person visits to ask why the hell it was taking so long to fix my damaged vehicle. So other dealers/brands suck too.

So I do acknowledge and fear all the negative stories in this thread and fervently hope my pending delivery of my P85D won’t require any service right away I do feel it important to acknowledge that Tesla IS spending money to build new Service Centers around the country. Hopefully in time they’ll also go back to improving staffing and communication.
Congratulations on the P85D! We love our 2012 Model S 85, which we bought used from Tesla in 2016. While Tesla does need to make improvements ASAP, our own, personal service experiences have been mostly positive. It's really nice when your issues can be addressed by Mobile Service. They just took care of a door handle and a window regulator on our S, and we haven't needed to visit a service center in quite a while now.

I do acknowledge the negative reports in this thread and am grateful for the posters' willingness to share their experiences. As a TSLA investor, I am fervently hoping for things to trend in the right direction, particularly in the area of phone communication.

Reactions: PWlakewood
Anyone buying a Tesla today must understand one thing. The MOMENT you take delivery you no longer matter as a customer, you're usefulness to Tesla has ran it's course. The company is broken, and getting worse. Some of the service stories, like this one, are appalling and should never happen. Yet we still get plenty of fanboys chime in with their heads buried deeeepppp in the sand, much like mine used to be until I got to experience the "new" Tesla...

I do not understand why the shorts aren't capitalizing on this obvious problem and use it to bury this company permanently. I've talked now 4 neighbors and 2 other friends out of buying a Tesla. I don't actively seek out people to discourage but if I get asked, I'll tell them the truth. I boil it down to one slogan, Tesla - Transcending cars, corrupt and incompetent company...

Jeff

Anyone buying a Tesla today must understand one thing. The MOMENT you take delivery you no longer matter as a customer, you're usefulness to Tesla has ran it's course. The company is broken, and getting worse. Some of the service stories, like this one, are appalling and should never happen. Yet we still get plenty of fanboys chime in with their heads buried deeeepppp in the sand, much like mine used to be until I got to experience the "new" Tesla...

I do not understand why the shorts aren't capitalizing on this obvious problem and use it to bury this company permanently. I've talked now 4 neighbors and 2 other friends out of buying a Tesla. I don't actively seek out people to discourage but if I get asked, I'll tell them the truth. I boil it down to one slogan, Tesla - Transcending cars, corrupt and incompetent company...

Jeff
The shorts have been actively trying to bury tesla since its beginning........hows that been working out so far.....

The shorts have been actively trying to bury tesla since its beginning........hows that been working out so far.....

Except up until now all they've had was BS... There are real, serious, issues with Tesla right now that aren't being publicized much and it's quite surprising to me that they haven't been...

Jeff

Except up until now all they've had was BS... There are real, serious, issues with Tesla right now that aren't being publicized much and it's quite surprising to me that they haven't been...

Jeff
Do you really think the shorts arent trying to capitalize on the current issues? That's all they do all day long is Look for info that will negatively impact the company and stock. If the situation is as bad as some people on the interwebs say it is then the shorts would be having a hay day with it. Just because some people have issues does not mean all people do....if everyone did then the shorts would have more ammo....seems pretty straightforward.

Let the name calling and bashing begin.....again.

Do you really think the shorts arent trying to capitalize on the current issues? That's all they do all day long is Look for info that will negatively impact the company and stock. If the situation is as bad as some people on the interwebs say it is then the shorts would be having a hay day with it. Just because some people have issues does not mean all people do....if everyone did then the shorts would have more ammo....seems pretty straightforward.

Let the name calling and bashing begin.....again.

All you have to do is look around you here to see just how horrible things have gotten at Tesla... I'm not here to call you names or bash you but your stance reminds me of the MEME of the dog sitting at the table with everything on fire around it claiming everything's fine...

Jeff

All you have to do is look around you here to see just how horrible things have gotten at Tesla... I'm not here to call you names or bash you but your stance reminds me of the MEME of the dog sitting at the table with everything on fire around it claiming everything's fine...

Jeff
So answer this question....if it is as bad as you say why havent the shorts capitalized on it and put tesla out of its misery once and for all l

So answer this question....if it is as bad as you say why havent the shorts capitalized on it and put tesla out of its misery once and for all l

I'm just as perplexed by that as you are... I think I've seen one article about the current state of things and that was on what some might call a pro-Tesla website. Otherwise, yeah... Not much and it's confusing as heck...

Jeff

I'm just as perplexed by that as you are... I think I've seen one article about the current state of things and that was on what some might call a pro-Tesla website. Otherwise, yeah... Not much and it's confusing as heck...

Jeff
It could be a number of things.....maybe it's not as bad as members on TMC make it out to be. It's well known that a few of the shorts also have screen names on here and try spreading the bs on a regular basis.

Could also be that the reason you hear mostly negative things on the TMC is because it's the largest forum for teslas and people with issues think by complaining on here tesla will make changes which obviously hasnt worked as well as some hoped. People use forums like this to try and resolve there issues or look for others who have similar issues. If your not having issues then why go to a forum unless you like to see a bunch of negative bs?

Let me say this.......I know people have issues with their teslas and with service so please don't bother saying my head is stuck up Elons buttocks. Service needs to improve. Communication needs to improve.

It could a number of things.....maybe it's not as bad as members on TMC make it out to be. It's well known that a few of the shorts also have screen names on here and try spreading the bs on a regular basis.

Could also be that the reason you hear mostly negative things on the TMC is because it's the largest forum for teslas and people with issues think by complaining on here tesla will make changes which obviously hasnt worked as well as some hoped. People use forums like this to try and resolve there issues or look for others who have similar issues. If your not having issues then why go to a forum unless you like to see a bunch of negative bs?

I know plenty of Tesla owners who aren't part of the TMC community who have the exact same concerns/issues as I do. I'm not going to continue to debate this with you, the company is broken, the evidence of this is overwhelming and you can continue to bury your head in the sand if it makes you feel better but that won't change the reality. Many of the owners I know have uttered the "this is the last Tesla I'm going to buy" in the last year, the cliff is coming and it's not like people weren't warned. They/you just refused to listen.

Jeff

I know plenty of Tesla owners who aren't part of the TMC community who have the exact same concerns/issues as I do. I'm not going to continue to debate this with you, the company is broken, the evidence of this is overwhelming and you can continue to bury your head in the sand if it makes you feel better but that won't change the reality. Many of the owners I know have uttered the "this is the last Tesla I'm going to buy" in the last year, the cliff is coming and it's not like people weren't warned. They/you just refused to listen.

Jeff
I do in fact listen....I just choose to listen to both sides. I spoke with 4 people last weekend in my neighborhood about teslas and all of them love their cars. Not one had negative things to say about service or otherwise. In fact 2 of them have had zero issues with their MS. One guy is 82 years old and we had an amazing conversation about his 2015 S. He absolutely loves it and couldnt say enough positive things about it.

We all have our stories about interactions with people and teslas. I've only ran into one couple who was unhappy with their model 3 because of poor panel gaps when it was first released. I've had all positive and I will keep telling my positive stories to anyone that asks me about my car. I do acknowledge the service issues but as with all other cars ive owned in the last 25 years there has always been one point or another where I was unhappy with the brand or the service. And I've never ran into another member of TMC when talking to people.

Reactions: aerodyne
It could be a number of things.....maybe it's not as bad as members on TMC make it out to be. It's well known that a few of the shorts also have screen names on here and try spreading the bs on a regular basis.

Let me say this.......I know people have issues with their teslas and with service so please don't bother saying my head is stuck up Elons buttocks. Service needs to improve. Communication needs to improve.

It is Tesla policy to limit customer interaction. It is therefore systemic, and the vocal few on an internet board cannot possibly be a limited demographic. The majority will sooner or later have to deal with Tesla CS, and will experience the new-age policy if they do not live 3 blocks away from a good SC. I too speak to owners in my area, and we love our cars, but hate the CS, and cannot recommend the car to others, especially family.

Reactions: neroden
It is Tesla policy to limit customer interaction. It is therefore systemic, and the vocal few on an internet board cannot possibly be a limited demographic. The majority will sooner or later have to deal with Tesla CS, and will experience the new-age policy if they do not live 3 blocks away from a good SC. I too speak to owners in my area, and we love our cars, but hate the CS, and cannot recommend the car to others, especially family.
Did you even consider that maybe the majority has had positive experiences? I recommend tesla to everyone I talk to because I base it on my experiences not what i read online. What's that saying again.......oh yeah......if it's on the internet it must be true:rolleyes:;)

Last edited: