Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sues Falcon Wing Doors Supplier

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I didn't read or participate in the whole Eds thing, looking back at what's left, it seems that the way his postings were structured rings alarm bells. In this case he was correct, but there are plenty of examples where "rumors" turn out to be nothing.

While I didn't read or participate in the whole Eds thing, looking back at what's left, it seems that the way his postings were structured rings alarm bells. In this case he was correct, but there are plenty of examples where "rumors" turn out to be nothing.

Exactly. What he said was entirely possible but he came out of nowhere, made some wild claims and of course couldn't provide any proof. That was the issue many had with him. That he was likely correct on some or all of his claims isn't the point.

Tesla Ex-Part Supplier Refutes Claim Of Delays For Falcon Wing Door

essentially they claim they were ready for quantity no matter what the issue was with quality and Tesla went another route so Tesla still owes them money because they performed to the letter of the contract.

In the wsj article :
Auto Parts Supplier Tesla Sued Says it Lived Up To Agreement - WSJ

It looks more subtle than that. The inference in the WSJ article is that Hoerbiger were seeking payment for works carried out and Tesla preemptively filed a suit to block those payments.

The discovery on this is going to be fascinating.

(Or much more likely this will all be settled out of court)

In the wsj article :
Auto Parts Supplier Tesla Sued Says it Lived Up To Agreement - WSJ

It looks more subtle than that. The inference in the WSJ article is that Hoerbiger were seeking payment for works carried out and Tesla preemptively filed a suit to block those payments.

The discovery on this is going to be fascinating.

(Or much more likely this will all be settled out of court)

My impression is Tesla was more concerned about quality issues and the supplier is countering with "but we delivered on schedule!".

I think the supplier expects to get paid for all the product development that would have supported future sales now that Tesla canceled and went elsewhere. Tesla is saying we shouldn't have to pay because you didn't give us a quality product, we don't want to pay incompetent suppliers.

I still don't see any issue with the way I worded it.

essentially they claim they were ready for quantity no matter what the issue was with quality and Tesla went another route so Tesla still owes them money because they performed to the letter of the contract.

@dhanson856

“Hoerbiger was in compliance with the specifications stipulated by Tesla.”
Hoerbiger also said that its work on the actuator wasn’t the cause of some of the problems listed by Tesla, including overheating and symmetry problems.

Now for all we know the subcontracted parts when integrated into the overall product, whilst meeting the specifications asked for in their own right, lead to a system as a whole didn't work as expected. Happens all the time. Especially if there are design variations along the way.

Always two sides to these contractual disputes, and it's never black and white.