Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw this… wonder what everyone’s thoughts are. Seems like potentially a way to recoup some of the cost of the system.
I was copying it. Getting ready to post it. 😆

I think it’s great. I’ve been looking at some of the California threads. Trying to see what the requirements are and how the program works. Anything to help stabilize the grid. Is a good idea for Texas.

Reactions: DrewHou
1670874872508.png

Yeah I have seen some posts from Cali where people have been able to offset a significant portion of their Tesla payment by participating in the program. I guess they had the opportunity to participate in several a month for that to be a possibility. I would be quite happy to charge from the grid for free at night and give them some back for 2 dollars a kWh during peak 😂 I’d participate every single time at that rate.

• Funny
Reactions: Jones1
Check this out.

• Helpful
I noticed. I’m not producing anything early in the morning. Not even a few watts. Sun will be out. Brighter than it is later in the day. It can be cloudy outside or raining later in the day. I will still produce some watts. I know that the inverters turn off at night. Is there a time they turn on in the morning? Is it always checking to see if the sun is out? Maybe it is producing so little. The Tesla app won’t show it.
Just asking.
If the inverter is off until a set time. Say it’s set to check at 8am. It would be great if we can changed it to 6:30am or 7 am.

1671110504614.png

I noticed. I’m not producing anything early in the morning. Not even a few watts. Sun will be out. Brighter than it is later in the day. It can be cloudy outside or raining later in the day. I will still produce some watts. I know that the inverters turn off at night. Is there a time they turn on in the morning? Is it always checking to see if the sun is out? Maybe it is producing so little. The Tesla app won’t show it.
Just asking.
If the inverter is off until a set time. Say it’s set to check at 8am. It would be great if we can changed it to 6:30am or 7 am.

View attachment 885286
I am not aware of any timers on inverters. And in general, the worse day for solar is the winter solstice, Dec 21. So don't expect too much this time of year.

Well what do I see here!?!? Lol I think my reliant plan is still cheaper for me but exciting to see this!
I have to pay a Disconnect fee with Shell MP2. So it probably won’t benefit me for a long time. After paying a disconnect fee for Reliant. My god. I’ve spent a lot this year. Don’t tell my wife. 😂

• Funny
@DrewHou Do you think that the peak rate of .24 from 4pm-7pm is good. We will be on PW at that time? Mostly when the sun has been out all day.
4-7pm I don’t use a lot and PW and solar does well holding me through my current peak time of 6am - 8pm with reliant even on rainy bad days.

I’m just curious if selling back at peak times and participating in grid events would cover for my night time grid usage for my car and other stuff including the occasional grid charge of the powerwalls. I’ll be interested to see how yours goes and how much extra credit you get for excess. This month I’ve already used 300kwh of grid power but bill projected to be less than a dollar.

Definitely keep us updated on what things look like once your fully switched over.

Reactions: Jones1
Wow that looks really attractive, I wonder how charging and EV at night impacts billing. I'm on a 24mo Free Nights Plan but maybe this will be what I switch to once we see how many credits can be earned (only 1 PW though might not be enough now hehe)
Well I don charge at work about 2 days a week. I charge to 90% on the weekends. When we have good Sun Production. At .14 per kWh. Is cheaper than my Shell Plan at .15 per kWh. I was old on the month to month and the option to Cash out. My plan is only a rollover plan. Month to month. It doesn’t rollover year to year. Tesla plan say it will roll over year to year or you can cash it out. I like the he sound of that. No cancellation fee too. Tesla says.

Wow that looks really attractive, I wonder how charging and EV at night impacts billing. I'm on a 24mo Free Nights Plan but maybe this will be what I switch to once we see how many credits can be earned (only 1 PW though might not be enough now hehe)
That’s my plan. I am going to stick with my truly free nights plan but keep an eye on this closely since I have a feeling truly free nights will start to disappear as more people get solar to cover usage in the day.

4-7pm I don’t use a lot and PW and solar does well holding me through my current peak time of 6am - 8pm with reliant even on rainy bad days.

I’m just curious if selling back at peak times and participating in grid events would cover for my night time grid usage for my car and other stuff including the occasional grid charge of the powerwalls. I’ll be interested to see how yours goes and how much extra credit you get for excess. This month I’ve already used 300kwh of grid power but bill projected to be less than a dollar.

Definitely keep us updated on what things look like once your fully switched over.
I’m wondering how much will they take from my Powerwall for grid outage. I read in a California Forum. That it would be 4kwh. If you have it available. They would stop at 20%. I was thinking. If I charged from the grid after 7pm. My Powerwall and or Solar can get paid during the high demand hours from 4-7pm. If I read it correctly. I’m at work. So I didn’t. 😆. I was thinking that if it’s .24 for me to use the grid at that time. I could get paid on the low said of 90% of the leak rate Tesla will charge me. It said something about 90% buy back. I figured that would be from sola and Powerwall. Then a higher payment for an event. After I signed up. I saw that it doesn’t automatically enroll you in VPP. It said.

1671136917862.png

Stay in Control of Your Backup Reserve​

Tesla Electric Mode respects your Powerwall Backup Reserve setting no matter how high the sell prices are. You can increase your Backup Reserve if you think a power outage is likely in your area, or turn on Storm Watch in your Tesla app. We recommend setting your battery Backup Reserve to 20%. The more energy you make available for Tesla Electric Mode, the more value you’ll get out of your sellback credits.

Sellback Credits​

Tesla Electric customers can roll over their credits indefinitely while they stay on the plan. If you have accumulated sellback credits at the end of each 12 months with Tesla Electric, you can redeem them for cash.