Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn’t a dragging brake caliper destroy the disk with wear (which tesla would have noticed) and cause bad steering? whilst poor alignment would destroy the tyres.

Without going into a big write up on tribology with things like abrasive and adhesive wear characteristics, the short of it is that even if were talking about crap tastic cast iron rotors with stuff all carbon on the alloy and zero heat treament etcetc, meaning the nastiest rotors possible to produce, its sill not going to be a situation where the rotor is crumbling from way way way below the minimum safe thickness spec. Same with the pads. With the sorts of forces going on with sticky pistons and bung caliper seals and the like sure it will impact the power needed to move these fairly heavy road cars but its nowhere near what happens in the dyanmics of forces occuring in big time braking

Finally got it (2023.26.7) on my 2022 M3 RWD this morning. For the last two weeks I've been doing the two-button reboot every couple of days (or even more often - just 24+ hours after the last time). Today I happened to get in the car, went to the software screen to double-check the last check time, and and it started downloading! Who can predict these things.

Haven't had a chance to take it for a drive yet but look forward to getting a game controller for it now.

Finally got it (2023.26.7) on my 2022 M3 RWD this morning. For the last two weeks I've been doing the two-button reboot every couple of days...
I had to do the same for it to pick up the update. It used to do a check for any updates when you went to the software screen but now (even on 2023.26.7) the last checked time doesn't seem to update until you do the two thumb reset =/

Reactions: Chuq
Have you done a battery test via Service Mode? (Look up Youtube for the method to access Service Mode)

Not yet, but Tesla have tested the battery and say it is all good and I have no reason to disagree with them. It is not like our X has been loosing range from new as I am sure Tesla would shove in our face saying that degradation is not part of the warranty for 2018 and earlier models.

Our issue, we have only lost around 10km's per charge as of now from new (what they car says when charged in typical setting, which is some 25% less than than the 417km figure the car was advertised as, this would be acceptable), and it has always then proceed to loose another 25% on top in terms of real world range.

Question
On that note, didn't Tesla retrospectively cover all batteries when they reworded their warranty to include the degradation clause that was missing from earlier warranties (70%)? I remember one of those famous tweets by Elon…failing to find it now though.

Last edited:
I had to do the same for it to pick up the update. It used to do a check for any updates when you went to the software screen but now (even on 2023.26.7) the last checked time doesn't seem to update until you do the two thumb reset =/
Our '22 SR Y is always super quick with update notifications - for some reason. Upon completing them promptly and go NotATeslaApp website only a few installs have been registered. Concur how mysterious the variations are on notification priorities.

So I engaged cheat mode and used the hard reset to see if that helped in the VIN lottery of release rollouts cos my patience had well and truly run out waiting. It did and 2023.26.7 was detected right away after bootstrapping.

I got to the bottom of why Xbox Series X/S controllers wont work on this update when in a wireless use case over bluetooth. It is because Microsoft disabled the bluetooth classic mode in the controller firmware awhile ago. My Tesla M3P relies on classic bluetooth mode to sync devices on the 2023.26.7 release. Note also some of the dongles that are sometimes used for wireless xbox sessions also succumb to this situation and wont work. There is a process you can downgrade the firmware version in xbox controllers I didnt bother - just bought a PS5 controller to keep my kid happy. Bingo - right in there no problem.

So I engaged cheat mode and used the hard reset to see if that helped in the VIN lottery of release rollouts cos my patience had well and truly run out waiting. It did and 2023.26.7 was detected right away after bootstrapping.
Based on the amount of people I've seen reporting that the reset helped the car pick up the update, it certainly makes me think that there is/was some software bug here.

Installed 2023.26.7 today and was pleased to find a couple of fixes:
- The UMC firmware update now works, so I was able to update my Australian UMC from 8A/12A to 10A/15A
- The bug where the navigation directions didn't show at the top of the driver's side panel if the map panel was obscured with another screen has been fixed

Unfortunately auto-high beam still sucks - but I guess that was asking a bit much for 'minor improvements'...

Reactions: Vostok and cafz
Hi Folks,

I recently had a software update brick my Model S (2019, HW3). The car was running fine before the
update. After the update both screens were black. I tried the scroll wheel reset many times without
success. I contacted Tesla Service and they couldn't do a remote fix. So the car was towed to their
service centre. They told me the MCU had been fried and the repair would cost over $3000.

Has anybody had this experience? My car was just a few weeks out of waranty so I had no choice but
to pay. I'm not sure that that is fair. This was a problem caused by the software update so why
should I have to pay?

Cheers, Leo

I just downloaded 2023.26.7 the other day, but I think the previous update changed the behaviour for checking for updates.

You used to be able to look for updates every 24 hours, now it is a longer gap. Not sure how long, but about a week. I'm going to keep my eye on it and see if it is the same now

Reactions: Hairyman
Hi Folks,

I recently had a software update brick my Model S (2019, HW3). The car was running fine before the
update. After the update both screens were black. I tried the scroll wheel reset many times without
success. I contacted Tesla Service and they couldn't do a remote fix. So the car was towed to their
service centre. They told me the MCU had been fried and the repair would cost over $3000.

Has anybody had this experience? My car was just a few weeks out of waranty so I had no choice but
to pay. I'm not sure that that is fair. This was a problem caused by the software update so why
should I have to pay?

Cheers, Leo
You should do a service request seeking payment for a cost you incured after a faulty tesla update fried your MCU

A couple of things I’ve noted with 23.26.7

- new features in the menu are highlighted with blue dots next to the icon that persist until you go into that particular menu. It was a good way of directing me to new features.

- one new feature that was handy is that you can put more custom choices into the main screen menu bar. I now have front and rear defrost, wipers and driver’s seat heater controls straight to hand.

- lane following and intersection crossing is getting steadily smoother. I have a couple of quite tricky four-way intersections. One in the very crest of a rise so hard to see more than one set of lane markers on the other side of the intersection. Two others on corners with lane guides coming across from the street entering perpendicular to my direction of travel that make which lane to choose a bit ambiguous when looking at simple geometry. The car used to either give up, give a warning or sometimes just pick the wrong lane. Now it lines up and crosses with little or no hesitation.

- lane following is smoother. The car no longer wants to stay absolutely exactly in the centre of the lane. In the past this meant it was often adjusting itself in an uncomfortable manner. Now it seems to average its position over a longer distance.

- I have no doubts that some are having trouble with auto high beam, although I would agree that for the last several updates it has been excellent for me

One of the interesting changes is that the daily recommended charge for NCA/NCM cars is now 80% (was 90%).

So was Elon wrong when he said this ?? (Note this was before Tesla launched LFP cars)

Screenshot_20230815-104757.png

I also note that the Wifi settings seem to have lost the ability to keep connection when you switch to Drive, a feature that only got added a few versions back.