Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL yea it is just a touch ugly IMO. But that could be improved later as the process/product is proven to work I think.

Safety over looks would be more a concern in such a project IMHO.
The original mantra of tesla was that EV’s when tesla was born were wierd and ugly and that for EV’s to sell the car must appear mainstream and have general appeal. Essentially EV’s did not hit it with the public due to their appearance, and model S change all that. Will be interesting to see how the market relates to ugly taxi’s

If you've seen some of the YT videos don't think Tesla has much to worry about.
Heavily mapped in HD and regularly need assistance from video centre operators or shadow drivers
I had only watched 1 video before I made that comment and that still applies:

Now in that video they takes 2 separate rides ie use app to start service, pickup and drive to destination then use app to start service again and return to original starting point from memory. All with no human driver.

I suggest you watch it because it is posted only 4 days ago so any improvements applied to the service/product is very current I think.

Now some context maybe applicable here as well. The male has a Model S Plaid with FSD beta and he has put crap on Tesla at times for FSD's performance from memory.

Now IMO mapping or not should not matter. If intense mapping is required to reach your goal at today's level of technology so be it. Future requirements maybe different. As a matter of fact during the free Tesla EAP Xmas gift NOA would not work in my area due to mapping limitations it seems.

When it's all said and done Google/Waymo have cars driving around without drivers and providing a service ie people like us are using them. Tesla don't ie FSD is not living up to it's name yet.

I am impressed with what Google/Waymo have done already and after the wife watched that video after me she also agreed it would be weird, unreal, strange etc etc to experience it.

Can't say the same, ie I am impressed, for just the basic function like the adaptive cruise control on Tesla's yet. I really hope I will one day.

It really is a crap piece of hardware/software Tesla are using for TACC IMHO. The product developer engineer in me wonders how they are getting away with it.
Well, I thought Tesla was going to have the best TACC. It was high on my Why Tesla list.

What I got was TACC that is afraid of shadows going across the road, rises in the road where it can't see over the rise, curves that it thinks are tight, cars coming the other way. It is worse than our cat.

Now I miss the TACC in my 2016 Jag, and that is saying something because it couldn't even hold speed going downhill, at least it wasn't braking all ove the place in a dangerous way...

The problem with detailed mapping is how often roads get altered. It's not scalable to remap on a regular basis, and potentially dangerous.

If you search for "Waymo stuck" you will unfortunately find many situations, mostly of cars sitting dead in the middle of intersection.

They are hundreds of Tesla Beta YTers - and many can show similar half hour videos. But equally quite a few where the car has issues and the human in the front seat has to take control.

Both bits of software are impressive, but neither is perfect.

Reactions: Vostok
The original mantra of tesla was that EV’s when tesla was born were wierd and ugly and that for EV’s to sell the car must appear mainstream and have general appeal. Essentially EV’s did not hit it with the public due to their appearance, and model S change all that. Will be interesting to see how the market relates to ugly taxi’s
Yea I agree with that with one exception. It's the fully autonomous mode creating these protuberances (from sensors) creating this ugliness not the EV side on these particular cars IMO. I mean even if they were ICE cars they would need these protuberances at the moment in Waymo's case.

But I think the big question is can these protuberances be worked into the body of a car to make it look more say acceptable later if it's proven that those sensors in those position are the way to go? The can do engineer in me says hell yea. It's early days for this technology IMO.

Hope you understand what I mean.

Well, I thought Tesla was going to have the best TACC. It was high on my Why Tesla list.

What I got was TACC that is afraid of shadows going across the road, rises in the road where it can't see over the rise, curves that it thinks are tight, cars coming the other way. It is worse than our cat.

Now I miss the TACC in my 2016 Jag, and that is saying something because it couldn't even hold speed going downhill, at least it wasn't braking all ove the place in a dangerous way...
Yes I know how you feel. I would be happy to just have a plain old cruise control without the adaptive part than what Tesla have giving me. ie just sit on a set speed and I will control the rest. My 2014 and 2019 Mitsubishi Outlanders PHEVS had both adaptive and plain old hold a certain selectable speed. Actually preferred using that old style in light traffic conditions.

Yea I agree with that with one exception. It's the fully autonomous mode creating these protuberances (from sensors) creating this ugliness not the EV side on these particular cars IMO. I mean even if they were ICE cars they would need these protuberances at the moment in Waymo's case.

But I think the big question is can these protuberances be worked into the body of a car to make it look more say acceptable later if it's proven that those sensors in those position are the way to go? The can do engineer in me says hell yea. It's early days for this technology IMO.

Hope you understand what I mean.
Yes I agree with you completely but its currently unknown if the buying public do

The problem with detailed mapping is how often roads get altered. It's not scalable to remap on a regular basis, and potentially dangerous.

If you search for "Waymo stuck" you will unfortunately find many situations, mostly of cars sitting dead in the middle of intersection.

They are hundreds of Tesla Beta YTers - and many can show similar half hour videos. But equally quite a few where the car has issues and the human in the front seat has to take control.

I did your suggested search. I ignored everything prior to 2022 when the taxi service started as that was testing. I found one that was stuck at an intersection and another to do with a work zone, and lots of repeatts of the same two stories.
I also agree that mapping is a dangerous way forward if it is solely relied upon.

Ok I now have seen a numbers of videos where people like you and me are amazed by the Waymo experience. Sure I bet there have been some problems but there are no massive amount of customers complaining about the experience. The opposite seems to be the consensus from what I see.

Now Telsa do not even have regulatory approval for anything like this. Hell Tesla are still on Level 2 autonomy from memory, Waymo Level 4 I think. There really is no comparison IMO.

Probably if it wasn't for Tesla's very public statements of being over confident in their timeline for FSD none of this would matter. Then we have Lidar statements, Radar statements, Just need Cameras statements, you have all you need now in your Tesla to achieve FSD statement, the list goes on and on.

But I didn't even buy a Tesla to get involved in that FSD crap show (don't need it) or even Autopilot ( don't need it). It's the Supercharger network that mainly got me into one. Then probably the good battery thermal management etc.

Tesla's fixation with FSD is hurting their product to some degree IMHO eg a bad cruise control experience. Certainly much to be learned from Tesla's handling of the whole shemozzle I think.

Keep your mouth shut and work quietly in the background on R&D and do it in house as much as possible and always be very pessimistic in your public timetables, if required to tell, so you can make the customers very surprised and/or happy when you beat those timetables comes to mind LOL.

I had it too as recently as yesterday - same setting as you and same firmware version.

Driving southbound on NorthConnex tunnel (Sydney) approaching the M2 motorway. I had TACC set to 73km/h (limit in the tunnel is 80) and the set speed went from Max 73 to Max 70 (and car slowed) then Max 73 (and car sped up again) within a few seconds for no obvious reason.

Better than last time I went through the same tunnel a month or so ago when the TACC speed went from Max 75 (or whatever I had it set to, less than 80 anyway), then down to Max 70 then up to something more than 75 (I tapped the brake as soon as it surged past 75) - all with no visible speed signs at that point and no control changes on my part.
yep
is it something about tunnels?
and also slightly complicated freeways?

is it something about tunnels?
and also slightly complicated freeways?
It seems like the idea is that it temporarily slows then speeds back up when taking an exit ramp from one motorway-type road to another. When you're in a tunnel you can't recieve the navigation satellite signals so it falls back to dead reckoning, and I suspect that a result is that sometimes it thinks you're in the exit lane in the tunnnel when you're not?

It seems like the idea is that it temporarily slows then speeds back up when taking an exit ramp from one motorway-type road to another. When you're in a tunnel you can't recieve the navigation satellite signals so it falls back to dead reckoning, and I suspect that a result is that sometimes it thinks you're in the exit lane in the tunnnel when you're not?
That confusion on the car is not limited to tunnels. Here on Gold Coast when driving on M1, the visualization shows the lanes correctly and you could be in middle lane or even the 3rd lane and occasionally. car slows you down to exit lane speed. Its rather annoying. The consensus seems to be that its using some old, mapped data and the roadworks have moved the road slightly so the GPS location and actual road location dont really match. Tesla has been yapping on about using visual camera information to update the data and make the calls when driving, but reality appears that in AU at least they use old inaccurate mapping data that often is not accurate and they ignore teh visual input from cameras.

Reactions: cafz
2023.2.12 is currently installing on my Model X ;)

C103EE75-AA06-4AD3-8264-1FCD28216B8D.jpeg

Got the notification to update to 2023.2.12 on my model Y.
Though when I view the release notes, it's only showing 2023.2.0.5 sentry mode lighting and 2023.2 auto steering wheel heat
Is it because I dont have FSD so the FSD improvements dont apply? Should at least show the other bug fixes

Nothing mentioned at all in my release notes...
From a quick look on TeslaFi, it does seem that 2023.2.12 is going to both FSD Beta cars (eg previously running 2022.44.30.10) and everyone else (eg running 2023.2.10 or .11).

So it looks to be the “one build to rule them all”. Will be interesting to see how it goes when my car eventually becomes worthy of it.