Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster "found" in shipping container on TV show "Storage Hunters"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New theory:
Maybe it _IS_ the Hertz Rental #1005, but they covered the barcode with black tape for the show?
Time to get out the Esper machine and see if there is a black spot where the Hertz barcode sticker should be.

Last edited:
It does kind of look like there is black spot where the Hertz barcode could be:
truroadster.jpg

Compared to a Hertz rental Roadster as seen at a Malibu charge spot unveiling:
hertz1005b.jpg

Last edited:
I just watched the episode, the Tesla had a rear license plate, they blurred out the numbers but thats odd that it would even have plates if its being shipped out of country. It might have been movie magic but it wasn't tied down, there is no way they would load a car in a container without tying it down...

I am even more convinced it is the Hertz rental... The video of the show Roadster and the pictures of the Malibu Hertz rental both seem to have the same replacement wiper blade insert:
WIPER-INSERTS.jpg

---

Even though the license plate is blurred for the show, you can still make out that it is a blue on white (California) plate with a pale green (2012) expiration year sticker.
(Further consistent with the Hertz rental.)

Last edited:
I am even more convinced it is the Hertz rental... The video of the show Roadster and the pictures of the Malibu Hertz rental both seem to have the same replacement wiper blade insert:
Even though the license plate is blurred for the show, you can still make out that it is a blue on white (California) plate with a pale green (2012) expiration year sticker.
(Further consistent with the Hertz rental.)
Damn u r good Sherlock TEG!!!

I know this is pretty OT, but you never know what you might find in a storage container! This from yesterday's news:

Gruesome discovery in Florida expert's storage unit

Dr. Michael Berkland, a forensic pathologist......has been accused of crudely preserving human brains, hearts and lungs in soda cups and plastic food containers found inside a storage unit in Pensacola.

Berkland has not been charged with any crime.

A man bought the contents of a storage unit at auction last week in Pensacola and made the gruesome discovery after being overpowered by a strange smell while sifting through furniture and boxes.

Investigators found formaldehyde, a chemical used to embalm and preserve bodies, leaking from a 32-ounce drink cup with a cracked lid that was holding a heart.....

Hmmm, I'd rather find a Roadster!

A coworker said last nights episode of TruTV's reality TV show Storage Hunters had someone finding a Tesla Roadster in a shipping container. I'm pretty skeptical when it comes to these shows (Storage Wars, Auction Hunters, etc), and think that sometimes the finds are planted there, but I've set the DVR for this episode which is re-airing on Sunday morning. Depending on which time zone and whether it is the HD channel, it looks like it's going to be on at 9:30am or 12:30pm.
Hey all, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I purchased the Tesla, in January 2012, it was my understanding that the Tesla was won in the container the previous year approx November, there was undercarriage damage, which I assume is why it was deemed salvage by the iunsurance company, in any event, I purchased it for $81,500. The car does indeed exist and I can assure everyone that I did indeed do the transaction with 1 of the 2 featured on the show.

Doug said this is the number one most accessed thread in this TMC forum website.

Having a resolution is great. Please post pictures of your car and any more details on your Roadster like the damage and what you learned from the purchase.

Doug said this is the number one most accessed thread in this TMC forum website.

It might be, but isn't that because there is no way to set a thread to "read". Right now you have to go into every single thread (including the ones in languages I can't read) in order to mark them as read.