Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the program states that your credit becomes available when their order is locked in and nonrefundable. (And why are you looking for a loophole?)
Oh good, thx for the info. Nope, no loophole for me, I can't afford another MS b/c I can't afford a divorce ><. I should've figured Elon has this potential loophole covered!

Oh good, thx for the info. Nope, no loophole for me, I can't afford another MS b/c I can't afford a divorce ><. I should've figured Elon has this potential loophole covered!
In effect your friend would be paying you $1000 since Tesla is pocketing their deposit (and retaining $1500 of the usual $2500). They definitely have it covered for the Model X promotion aspect, since you don't become eligible for that until all 10 cars are delivered.

Give it time, Lord of the Flies will break out :)

If someone wants the free X badly enough, they could offer $2000+ each to use their $1000 referrals.

I might as well post my link here, too: www.savetwothousand.com

I'm actually giving the $1,000 referrer credit back to the buyer once their Model S is delivered for a total of $2,000. Of course, this will be a $1,000 check from me, and I'll just use the credit from Tesla on a 85D/90D or an X at a later time, so I'm not losing anything. You can see the details and the FAQ on the link.

I just had my first referral purchase today!

Last edited:

I'm actually giving the $1,000 referrer credit back to the buyer once their Model S is delivered for a total of $2,000. Of course, this will be a $1,000 check from me, and I'll just use the credit from Tesla on a 85D/90D or an X at a later time, so I'm not losing anything. You can see the details and the FAQ on the link.

This kinda looks like a little bit of a loophole to me. Don't think Tesla had this intended. What do you think Bonnie?

The referral program is all about reducing customer aquistion costs, in my opinion. Most owners are far more knowledgable then sales reps. They also are clearly responsible for getting highly probable buyers to the website to buy as well as to the stores to take test drives. Elon asks why should I hire more sales people when all I need to do is pay owner-advocates $1000 per sale?

This is all about reducing costs and boosting margins.... Nothing to do with demand issues. Although demand boost as a result of potential lower retail prices in addition to prosumer focus to sales and marketing.

I've been a big advocate for Tesla since we placed our order almost two years ago. I'll happily talk to anyone about the car and our ownership experience. Most of the people I've sent my code to have heard the pitch from me, already. Now that this referral code is available, I always offer plenty of information and even the test drive of my own car for those looking to buy. I do like the idea of buying two CHAdeMOs with the $1000 and giving one to the person that used the code. That could be a huge thing! I do have my eye on one of those adapters, too. If I get 3+ referrals, I'll probably start doing that as well. As for another giveaway item, I've added the link to my parking sign classified ad and anyone that uses it to order a Model S gets a free sign shipped to them.

As others have stated, Tesla's goal is to get the word out via referrals from existing owners. What better way to encourage sales than to have trusted friends helping each other out? Surely, this will get sales numbers up along the way. ;)

While I detest all these referral begging sites, what's the loophole?

Sorry for being one of the detested. I know that I've sold at least a few Teslas through showing my car at EV events, answering questions at crowded superchargers and letting visitors sit in my car, and just being a positive representative for the brand. I dont know the answer to the referral link stuff but I'm going to go for it nonetheless!

I'm looking to buy and would like a referral code, but I'd like to find someone in the Dallas area that wouldn't mind doing a little mentoring in exchange for me using the code. For example, I need to find a local electrician to get my home wiring done. Local repair shop for simple things like rotating tires. Someone local to wrap the car, ect....

I'm not a car person to begin with, so I'm a little out of my comfort zone with the Model S.

Message me if you're local to Dallas and wouldn't mind giving advice! Thanks

Hello, I am in the Dallas area, and would be more than willing to help. i am not an electrician, but I can direct you to one no problem. I am one of the largest mileage users of Teslas in the DFW area and in the 2.6 years that i have driven mine. I love my car and speak about it all the time. But I am one of the people that did everything that i could to purchase it. i could not afford to buy a large/accessory laden car. And barely got financing even after a large down payment that I save for years to buy a Tesla. It was a difficult process, but things worked out in the 11th hour. I just really wanted the technology as I drive many miles here in DFW... Well i am at 70K miles in this time and it has been worth it for me. Let me know if you would like my code. I will share everything that I know.

The referral program is all about reducing customer aquistion costs, in my opinion. Most owners are far more knowledgable then sales reps. They also are clearly responsible for getting highly probable buyers to the website to buy as well as to the stores to take test drives. Elon asks why should I hire more sales people when all I need to do is pay owner-advocates $1000 per sale?

This is all about reducing costs and boosting margins.... Nothing to do with demand issues. Although demand boost as a result of potential lower retail prices in addition to prosumer focus to sales and marketing.

NADA must be having a hissy fit over this.

:)

I don't think it's detestable to offer a referral link. The concern is purpose built sites that appear to cheapen the brand and the owners by association.

Personal opinion is that we should lighten up on people wanting to use the promo for a modest discount and referral bonus. The value ranges from about 1.4% to .6% to each of the two parties. Elon won't miss it, and Tesla moves some aluminum.

Sure, some mentoring is great and in the spirit of this club, but some fine advocates may be holding back so as to not appear a total greed head. I don't think they should.

Last edited:
While I detest all these referral begging sites, what's the loophole?
Not really a loophole, you are right. I just don't think giving a 1k check for a referral is in the spirit of this program. I don't know, maybe it is. But if it drums up incredible business, then it's worth it. Hope it's a huge success then Elon can show up NADA even more than he has.

Last edited:

I like it. Good luck! Creative and IMO well within the spirit of the program.

Last edited:
Didn't Musk say months ago he had a demand generation secret weapon he might try a little later in the year? Is this it? Will be interesting to see if it increases sales or just throws money at sales that were happening anyway?

I never bought the theory that the pop-up stores were the secret weapon - but this, I do (especially since he implied it would handle the dealership issue).

Which means, of course, that he's been planning on rolling this out for quite a while, it wasn't a knee-jerk reaction to a demand issue that so many are assuming, and lends support to my belief that it was timed to help with the introduction of the X / not cannibalizing S sales.

As much as I don't like how it has brought out some really bad behavior, it also will ultimately reward owners who are evangelizing with or without pay. I'm keeping an open mind on this one and hoping it works really well.

I like it. Good luck! Creative and IMO well within the spirit of the program.
I disagree. I can understand that it's acceptable to try to spread your link as much as possible. That just creates PR and brings in new customers.

However, when you start to bribe people into using you link, I think that undermines the spirit of the program. The whole point is to get people to spread the word, but when the top prize is robbed away by people willing to pay to get it, that's more likely to turn people off spreading the word than to encourage them.

Status
Not open for further replies.