Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. I can understand that it's acceptable to try to spread your link as much as possible. That just creates PR and brings in new customers.

However, when you start to bribe people into using you link, I think that undermines the spirit of the program. The whole point is to get people to spread the word, but when the top prize is robbed away by people willing to pay to get it, that's more likely to turn people off spreading the word than to encourage them.

Bribe? He's passing on his $1000 making the effective credit for the buyer $2000. He says his motivation is 1) promoting Tesla and EVs 2) possible icing on the cake: free Model X, getting to buy founders X, factory tour.

I see no wrong with it.

I disagree. I can understand that it's acceptable to try to spread your link as much as possible. That just creates PR and brings in new customers.

However, when you start to bribe people into using you link, I think that undermines the spirit of the program. The whole point is to get people to spread the word, but when the top prize is robbed away by people willing to pay to get it, that's more likely to turn people off spreading the word than to encourage them.

I've also offered to give my credit to whoever uses the link - not because I'm bribing them (an X should shortly be in my garage) - but because I'm uncomfortable profiting from what I was gladly doing anyway. This way there is no question as to my motivation, when I encourage someone to seriously consider how well an EV will fit into their life.

(Should note that I'm also not actively promoting.)

If it gets a new EV buyer into the fold, that's great.

I've also offered to give my credit to whoever uses the link - not because I'm bribing them (an X should shortly be in my garage) - but because I'm uncomfortable profiting from what I was gladly doing anyway. This way there is no question as to my motivation, when I encourage someone to seriously consider how well an EV will fit into their life.

^^This^^ is how many of us feel. There was talk of trying to pool referrals to try to get the 'free X' to donate to charity. My understanding is that we have not gotten any official comments from TM about this avenue. Maybe if the program is continued beyond October 31st some of us 'like minded' TM/EV supporters can do something like this.

It really is nice to see people giving out their referral link to help promote the brand and help others make informed decisions about purchasing an S versus just helping themselves.

Bribe? He's passing on his $1000 making the effective credit for the buyer $2000. He says his motivation is 1) promoting Tesla and EVs 2) possible icing on the cake: free Model X, getting to buy founders X, factory tour.

I see no wrong with it.

You forgot to read between the lines. This is how I read it

"I'll pay you for me to get a free tour of the gigafactory. And possibly even a Model X!"

I see no wrong with it.
He's writing people $1000 checks to use his link, how is that not a bribe? He'll accumulate thousands of dollars of discounts he can use at the service center, which he may or may not be able to use before they expire at the end of next year.

I can understand buying a CHAdeMO adapter with the discount money for a prospective buyer with less than ideal access to charging, or something similar, but simply writing a check? No. It's a bribe.

He's writing people $1000 checks to use his link, how is that not a bribe? He'll accumulate thousands of dollars of discounts he can use at the service center, which he may or may not be able to use before they expire at the end of next year.

I don't see how he can 'write a check for $1000 and get credit for $1000' while being in the plus. he's not actually accumulating anything at all. at best, he breaks even. worse case, he's out $10k. that doesn't sound like a good deal to me at all.

I don't see how he can 'write a check for $1000 and get credit for $1000' while being in the plus. he's not actually accumulating anything at all. at best, he breaks even. worse case, he's out $10k. that doesn't sound like a good deal to me at all.

No, best case he gets a free Model X, likely outcome he gets a free Gigafactory tour, worst case he brakes even. There is no situation in which he will be out $10k.

(Should note that I'm also not actively promoting.)

It's much, much less problematic if you aren't actively promoting. If you're actively promoting a "use this link to order a Tesla and I'll give you lots of money"-scheme, you have a real chance of getting to ten referrals first and get a free Model X. In which case, each referral would have been worth 10-15k USD. That's a substantial profit, even while giving away the credit.

It's much, much less problematic if you aren't actively promoting. If you're actively promoting a "use this link to order a Tesla and I'll give you lots of money"-scheme, you have a real chance of getting to ten referrals first and get a free Model X. In which case, each referral would have been worth 10-15k USD. That's a substantial profit, even while giving away the credit.

Agreed.

That's quite a gamble though, as there's only one Model X. This guy seems sure he will be able to use any credit he earns on his X purchase,

One other negative potential with the 'free X' is the real possibility that TM disqualifies someone 'gaming' the system. We have people threatening law suits for having to wait for 'next gen seats' and just missing a new feature after they confirmed an order. So, what will happen if the 'first to 10' is disqualified?

You forgot to read between the lines. This is how I read it

"I'll pay you for me to get a free tour of the gigafactory. And possibly even a Model X!"

Me too. That's exactly what I read. If someone wants to pay the referee another $1k AND decline the tour, founder X line jump + options, or free X, that sounds like enthusiastic promotion vs. greed. Remains to be seen how much Tesla cares and how much they'll vet submissions for the prizes.

One other negative potential with the 'free X' is the real possibility that TM disqualifies someone 'gaming' the system. We have people threatening law suits for having to wait for 'next gen seats' and just missing a new feature after they confirmed an order. So, what will happen if the 'first to 10' is disqualified?

Lots of crying and complaining on TMC and then people will get over it. Just like with everything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Me too. That's exactly what I read. If someone wants to pay the referee another $1k AND decline the tour, founder X line jump + options, or free X, that sounds like enthusiastic promotion vs. greed. Remains to be seen how much Tesla cares and how much they'll vet submissions for the prizes.

Exactly.

The whole altruistic part of "I'm mainly doing this to promote EVs" is BS IMO. Be honest and upfront about your intentions "I'm doing this to get a GigaFactory Tour, and if I get more people interested in EVs, great!"

Good point. We've also had people waiting years holding X reservations who will get line-jumped and have a right to growl at the promotion in general. They have a right to howl if the winners of free or discounted X's are trawlers. So Tesla could be threatened by the trawlers if they disallow, and their loyal and patient customers if they don't disallow.

Last edited:
That's specifically stated isn't possible. The credits can only be used for purchasing a new Model S and stuff you can get at the service center.

Geez, here's what the email says: From now through October 31st, if someone buys a new Model S through your link (my link deleted because I'm NOT trawling), they will get $1,000 off the purchase price and you will get a $1,000 credit in your Tesla account, which can be applied to a future car purchase, service charge or accessories.

"A future car purchase".... the X is not a car?

Geez, here's what the email says: From now through October 31st, if someone buys a new Model S through your link (my link deleted because I'm NOT trawling), they will get $1,000 off the purchase price and you will get a $1,000 credit in your Tesla account, which can be applied to a future car purchase, service charge or accessories.

"A future car purchase".... the X is not a car?

Technically the X is an SUV :p

Status
Not open for further replies.