Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my screen the lights look blue. Too bad Ford didn't implement this first with their BlueCruise!
Blue lights on a vehicle are prohibited in some (I can’t be certain it is all 50) US states (i.e. only allowed on police cars or other emergency vehicles such as volunteer firefighters en route to a fire station or other emergency event.)

Traffic laws usually lag well behind innovation. In Europe, projector lights were legal for several years while the USA was stuck with sealed beams until 1987 or so.

Reactions: navguy12
I should of read the notes before installing the new software update. What's the point of autosteer if you have to have both hands on the wheel at all times? Isn't that the same as... regular driving?

Kind of ruined autosteer for me. I'd rather the old way.

As always, a few morons who can't pay attention cause us to have over exaggerated nannies to save us all from ourselves.

Blue lights on a vehicle are prohibited in some (I can’t be certain it is all 50) US states (i.e. only allowed on police cars or other emergency vehicles such as volunteer firefighters en route to a fire station or other emergency event.)
I’d think having lights telling other drivers you’re on auto pilot would make you a target.

I too wondered about the blue lights being legal. It appears… If it‘s not visible from the front and not blinking, it’s okay.

Last edited:
Don't let people on the road hate you with that blue light. It makes the car look like a police car and you know that motorists don't like the police. It forces everyone on the road to slow down to speed limit. And look at the angry faces and fingers of the other drivers going past you when they figure out that your car is not a police car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wanderer
What do you mean?
Look at the EV hate we get. Telling everyone with your lights that you’re on autopilot may be a cause for a lot of people to brake check you or worse. God help the driver who‘s slower than the flow of traffic.

Beyond that, what’s the reason to announce your on autopilot? Is it a caution to other drivers?

If you happen to fall asleep, you’re more likely to make the evening news.

1703088164443.jpeg

Beyond that, what’s the reason to announce your on autopilot? Is it a caution to other drivers?
From the CNN article that somebody screenshotted earlier:
The turquoise lights are needed, according to Mercedes, to alert passing drivers and police that the vehicle is under fully automated control. That way, when someone outside the vehicle sees the driver looking away from the road, they don’t think the driver is doing something wrong.
So it's there to inform other drivers of something atypical going on. This is something that folks here identified as a necessity pretty early on - and which was dismissed as simple vanity.

From the CNN article that somebody screenshotted earlier:

So it's there to inform other drivers of something atypical going on. This is something that folks here identified as a necessity pretty early on - and which was dismissed as simple vanity.
Who knows what the blue light mean except you?. Why not just putting the sign "Auto Pilot On" on the rear window?

Last edited:
Again a '17 legacy MS.

Added a red nag to apply torque within a couple of seconds of engaging FSD. Other nags are normal (15 to 45 seconds on urban streets).

Out of the plethora of "added features", the portrait-screen folks get the "one pull v two" to engage and apple podcasts only as far as I can tell. No light show, no blind spot monitoring, no alternative routes while driving, no custom sounds on horn, no 3d visualizations in parking lots, no speed cameras or other apparent map enhancements - not much really. Maybe it's so subtle I'm missing it. So much for the flagship.
CORRECTION. Got it on legacy portrait screens - TY.
So in summary, what are the changes coming to legacy cars? We don't have a cabin camera, so how are our FSD Beta nags changing? Or are they the same?
We get 1 pull AP (I tested this on a loaner Model 3 last week & hated it so I don't think it will be useful on our S).
The alternate routes while driving would be very nice, so do we actually get that? There was some confusion.
What about the map enhancements to show stop signs & traffic lights? That's the other feature I actually want.
Right now our car is waiting for wifi to download 2023.44.30.4. I think it's going to be a long time before I connect it to wifi again. I'll let Tesla take the hit on downloading it over celular to us.

Right? When my computer or phone does an update, do they call it a "Recall"? If I have to bring my car in, then it's a recall.

It is a recall, but that is the legal term NHTSA uses for any safety related fix applied to a population of vehicles. It doesn't matter if the fix is an OTA software update, dealer installed software update, or hardware repair/replacement. But if Tesla sends out an update that adds a feature, that is just a software update, not a recall. I'm not aware of any governmental agency which oversees phones, and their safety updates such that one would be classified as a recall. (But maybe a BMS update that was to prevent the battery from catching fire would be a recall, but that type of update is rare.)

People will get used to recall not always meaning taking their car in to a dealer for repair.

Reactions: DrGriz