Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unlike other states, California does not have an annual safety inspection required. You can have a car with failed brakes, broken lights, rusted out frame and suspension and that would not prevent you from getting your registration renewed.
Lived in Oklahoma when I was in the Air Force and had to get vehicle inspections. Appeared to me, only the garage collecting fees benefits from the safety inspection. FWIW, about half the states don’t do annual vehicle inspections. Texas and Florida recently stopped the inspections.

Isn't the smog check requirement in CA every other year?
It is, assuming you’re burning fossil fuels.

This is a real recall:

I thought software updates aren't real recalls?
I do wonder why they decided to classify this is a recall. I'm sure they've done software updates in response to issues they've found in deployed robotaxis before and they've had numerous collisions before.

Shows how precise their perception stack is.
We don't know that. Their perception stack could have been perfect, but they ignored it because they trusted the planning stack more. And it was wrong. Fusion is hard to get right.

But hey, at least they didn't phantom brake, because that is way worse than plowing into a vehicle in front of you. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz and JB47394
We don't know that. Their perception stack could have been perfect, but they ignored it because they trusted the planning stack more. And it was wrong. Fusion is hard to get right.

But hey, at least they didn't phantom brake, because that is way worse than plowing into a vehicle in front of you. ;)
Fusion?
They didn’t ignore the perception stack. The perception stack said there was a truck with a certain orientation and trajectory. The planning stack incorrectly predicted its future position. I do wonder whether the perception stack categorizes towed vehicles.
I’m sure Waymo has plenty of phantom braking.

Lived in Oklahoma when I was in the Air Force and had to get vehicle inspections. Appeared to me, only the garage collecting fees benefits from the safety inspection. FWIW, about half the states don’t do annual vehicle inspections. Texas and Florida recently stopped the inspections.

It is, assuming you’re burning fossil fuels.
Um. Saying this cautiously: It can be Just Amazing what kind of clunkers a sanity-deprived fool will drive around.

At one time I worked for a small firm in upstate New York. The SO and I were accumulating furniture and had found a real steal on a couple of desks being sold by a YWCA. We bought 'em, but getting them home meant renting a truck or something.

The "or something" turned out to be a co-worker of mine who had a pickup truck. I mentioned the problem to him and politely asked if I could borrow the truck, to which he was completely amenable.

Wish I hadn't. Once we got the truck loaded up I noticed it was handling funny. Looked down and could see the road speeding by through some holes in the floor. Further, as we went over the occasional bump, realized that the cab and the frame of the truck weren't exactly in sync and that things were Moving Around. At this point, slowed right down for the next mile, got to our place, and offloaded the furniture.

Returned the truck and took a better look at it. Florida license plates.

Asked the guy, "What is this death trap? And you live here in New York, don't ya?"

He told me that a decade ago he lived in Florida, moved to NY, and didn't change the registration or license plate. New York, which did have yearly inspections, would never have passed this car; and so long as he stayed away from Florida, he didn't have to get it inspected there, either. And this saved him money since he didn't have to get this rust bucket fixed (Upstate New York motto: We pave our streets with salt!).

Of course, this was an accident waiting to happen when the frame fell apart at some point, probably on an interstate. But I've been a fan of an occasional inspection of an auto ever since. It's not always smog control.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Um. Saying this cautiously: It can be Just Amazing what kind of clunkers a sanity-deprived fool will drive around.

At one time I worked for a small firm in upstate New York. The SO and I were accumulating furniture and had found a real steal on a couple of desks being sold by a YWCA. We bought 'em, but getting them home meant renting a truck or something.

The "or something" turned out to be a co-worker of mine who had a pickup truck. I mentioned the problem to him and politely asked if I could borrow the truck, to which he was completely amenable.

Wish I hadn't. Once we got the truck loaded up I noticed it was handling funny. Looked down and could see the road speeding by through some holes in the floor. Further, as we went over the occasional bump, realized that the cab and the frame of the truck weren't exactly in sync and that things were Moving Around. At this point, slowed right down for the next mile, got to our place, and offloaded the furniture.

Returned the truck and took a better look at it. Florida license plates.

Asked the guy, "What is this death trap? And you live here in New York, don't ya?"

He told me that a decade ago he lived in Florida, moved to NY, and didn't change the registration or license plate. New York, which did have yearly inspections, would never have passed this car; and so long as he stayed away from Florida, he didn't have to get it inspected there, either. And this saved him money since he didn't have to get this rust bucket fixed (Upstate New York motto: We pave our streets with salt!).

Of course, this was an accident waiting to happen when the frame fell apart at some point, probably on an interstate. But I've been a fan of an occasional inspection of an auto ever since. It's not always smog control.
When I lived in a state that inspected cars the inspector never test drove the car. Never got in the car. Didn’t put the car on a lift. Never looked under the hood.

The 3 to 4 minute inspection involved looking at tires, lights, seat belts, windshield wipers, cracked glass. Pretty much the same things a cop can see when you’re on the road. The longest part of the inspection was the paperwork. It was just a money maker for the inspection station.

When states try to stop vehicle inspections they have to fight the auto repair lobby.

Most repair shops in California will do a free auto inspection. Why free? What’s in it for the shop? Sales!

Last edited:
  • Informative
When I lived in a state that inspected cars the inspector never test drove the car. Never got in the car. Didn’t put the car on a lift. Never looked under the hood.

The 3 to 4 minute inspection involved looking at tires, lights, seat belts, windshield wipers, cracked glass. Pretty much the same things a cop can see when you’re on the road. The longest part of the inspection was the paperwork. It was just a money maker for the inspection station.

When states try to stop vehicle inspections they have to fight the auto repair lobby.
Well.. no question, “inspection” stations often became near scams and sometimes wandered over the line. At one time, in Massachusetts, where there were both public (overcrowded) and private inspection stations, there were shops who would put a car up on a lift, pull the wheel hard up and down so there was a ‘click’ (normal), then would tell the driver there was a loose ball joint that had to be replaced. (Multiple shops got caught and prosecuted on this scam, which was how I found out about it.)

But in the case of that idiot with the pickup truck, he was purposefully trying to save money by not repairing or replacing that death trap of a truck. It was bad enough that he was shooting for a Darwin Award. Imagine the scene when going down some interstate at speed, something major cracks through all the way, the truck starts tumbling, then takes out another vehicle with a young mother and her kids!

This idiot had gotten away with it for years. But this guy was just your slightly advanced idiot. Without inspections of some kind your more garden variety of idiot will also get away with such nonsense.

At one time in NJ they tested the brakes, steering, and smog controls. Now it’s just the smog, once every two years. But I think they’d catch the idiots by simple inspection.

Well.. no question, “inspection” stations often became near scams and sometimes wandered over the line. At one time, in Massachusetts, where there were both public (overcrowded) and private inspection stations, there were shops who would put a car up on a lift, pull the wheel hard up and down so there was a ‘click’ (normal), then would tell the driver there was a loose ball joint that had to be replaced. (Multiple shops got caught and prosecuted on this scam, which was how I found out about it.)

But in the case of that idiot with the pickup truck, he was purposefully trying to save money by not repairing or replacing that death trap of a truck. It was bad enough that he was shooting for a Darwin Award. Imagine the scene when going down some interstate at speed, something major cracks through all the way, the truck starts tumbling, then takes out another vehicle with a young mother and her kids!

This idiot had gotten away with it for years. But this guy was just your slightly advanced idiot. Without inspections of some kind your more garden variety of idiot will also get away with such nonsense.

At one time in NJ they tested the brakes, steering, and smog controls. Now it’s just the smog, once every two years. But I think they’d catch the idiots by simple inspection.
Unfortunately, 2024 is last year for vehicle safety inspections in Texas. $7 once per year was a small price to pay to ensure a vehicle was roadworthy.

Coincidentally, I just read a story yesterday about a Ridgeline owner who overheard a conversation at a Honda dealer about the service department's "numbers" being low according to the new owner and the techs were encouraged to "find more things that needed repair".

I was also discussing with a couple of colleagues yesterday about the ridiculous markup of parts and high cost of labor in the service industry and how they take advantage of nearly every customer. One of them complained about two plumbers who came out to replace three sprinkler heads for $1,100! He said one plumber did all the work while the other one looked on, yet he was charged for two plumbers. The other complaint was about a landlord being charged for 6 hours of labor when his plumber completed the job in 1.5 hours. After he got the bill, he called and told them that he knew exactly how long they were there because he watched them on his security camera. Their excuse was that they got his ticket mixed up with another customer. The same landlord was also being charged for four times the cost of refrigerant by an HVAC company. He got his HVAC license and now buys his own refrigerant. Several years ago, my brother had a Ford Focus that had a "lifetime engine air filter" that was not user-replaceable. While having the oil changed one day, the mechanic told him he needed the air filter replaced. Fortunately, my brother knew better. A good friend of mine had just changed the air filter in his Civic. When he brought it in for a transmission fluid change, the mechanic showed him a dirty filter and told him it needed to changed. My friend called him out on it and the mechanic apologized and said someone must have gotten confused. Yeah, right. That's one of several reasons why I do all of my own work whenever possible.

Unfortunately, 2024 is last year for vehicle safety inspections in Texas. $7 once per year was a small price to pay to ensure a vehicle was roadworthy.
Getting the Tesla inspected was a real joke. First off, they don't even drive the car anymore. You sit inside while they walk around to check that the lights work. You honk the horn and you are done. There's no brake test. No steering test, and certainly no structural checks.

The car could have inspected itself.

For ICE cars, Texas will still require an emissions test. And, EV owners get to pay an extra $200 registration fee to make up for the gas taxes we aren't paying.