Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's what I have. I went from 2023.44 to 2023.44.30.1

View attachment 1000428
Looks like officially your vehicle without in-cabin camera is not remedied yet per Tesla's "Update Vehicle Firmware to Prevent Driver Misuse of Autosteer" support page:

Remaining affected vehicles, including vehicles equipped with Autopilot Hardware 3.0 but without an in-cabin camera and vehicles equipped with Autopilot Hardware 2.5, Autopilot Hardware 2.0 or Autopilot Hardware 1.0, will receive an over-the-air software remedy at a later date.​
…​
If your vehicle is equipped with an in-cabin camera and Autopilot Hardware 3.0 or Autopilot Hardware 4.0 and is running software version 2023.44.30 or later, then your vehicle has been remedied and there is no further action that you need to take.​

Looking at the release notes for the remedy, it seems like NHTSA's requirements were something like…
  • show visible warning alert (Model S/X unaffected; 3/Y could be blocked by steering wheel/arm?)
  • avoid confusion between Autopilot vs Autosteer (single click)
  • ensure attention at intersections (current remedy requires in-cabin camera and HW3+ to detect intersections?)
  • bring FSD Beta's suspension policy to Autosteer
So it'll be interesting to see how Tesla addresses attention without in-cabin camera to officially remedy the recall.

Looks like officially your vehicle without in-cabin camera is not remedied yet per Tesla's "Update Vehicle Firmware to Prevent Driver Misuse of Autosteer" support page:

Remaining affected vehicles, including vehicles equipped with Autopilot Hardware 3.0 but without an in-cabin camera and vehicles equipped with Autopilot Hardware 2.5, Autopilot Hardware 2.0 or Autopilot Hardware 1.0, will receive an over-the-air software remedy at a later date.​
…​
If your vehicle is equipped with an in-cabin camera and Autopilot Hardware 3.0 or Autopilot Hardware 4.0 and is running software version 2023.44.30 or later, then your vehicle has been remedied and there is no further action that you need to take.​

Looking at the release notes for the remedy, it seems like NHTSA's requirements were something like…
  • show visible warning alert (Model S/X unaffected; 3/Y could be blocked by steering wheel/arm?)
  • ensure attention at intersections (current remedy requires in-cabin camera and HW3+ to detect intersections?)
So it'll be interesting to see how Tesla addresses attention without in-cabin camera to officially remedy the recall.
Does anyone know the percentage of cars having in-cabin camera?

…​

Damn. Thought we non-interior-camera folks got off lucky...

New fear is that the remedy to the recall is for them to install an interior camera... god help all of us if that ends up being the case

Unfortunately the CEO is known to exaggerate, lie, whatever you want to call it. I call it lies. This article explains the history going back to that fake FSD video that Elon was involved in. He simply claimed things that were not true, and charged for them.

The truth is that you will get far more benefit out of GM's Supercruise, Blue Cruise on Ford or BMW's highway assistant - all three are truly hands-off.

Unfortunately the CEO is known to exaggerate, lie, whatever you want to call it. I call it lies. This article explains the history going back to that fake FSD video that Elon was involved in. He simply claimed things that were not true, and charged for them.

The truth is that you will get far more benefit out of GM's Supercruise, Blue Cruise on Ford or BMW's highway assistant - all three are truly hands-off.
You forgot gaslighting, boy does he love to tell you how you were wrong about his lies

Don't you guys think it's far more likely tesla will just disable autopilot on backstreets for interior cabin cameraless teslas?

This is the man who removed uss and radar with no alternative in the near future after all.
No. They will do the bare minimum of what the NHTSA requires. The remedy said what they're going to do. Make bigger warning messages, and pay more attention to the driver. Thats the end of it. AP will still work on back roads, just like pretty much every other car with a L2 system.

Cause they are new. But also cause the CEO can't keep his mouth shut. Also, any short seller, hater, or attention seeker with $30k can buy one and drum up controversy by filming themself doing something dumb.

But mostly cause the CEO can't keep his mouth shut
While I do understand what you’re saying, and it isn’t untrue…the rest of that story is that he can’t keep his mouth shut *and* the media doesn’t like what comes out of his mouth. None of them had a problem with him when he was perceived to be on the left. Now that he’s perceived as being on the right, all of a sudden they can’t stop reporting negatively on him. As a centrist, I find this repugnant.

If you have a problem with the ADAS in your 2010 Prius, you should submit a complaint.
I sold it for a Model Y. I never had any issues mostly because my expectations were very low. The system was utterly amazing when I went on a long trip. It "helped" turn around curves and greatly lessened my arm fatigue on +12hr road trips.

While I had that Prius, I bought a Prius Prime with the intention of eventually replacing it. Sadly, while the Prime was better in a lot of ways, it's cargo space wasn't so I ended up getting a Model Y to replace the 2010, and a couple years later a M3P to replace the Prime.

That said, a 3rd party company, Comma.ai, made a device that gave my Prime a pretty amazing L2 system. It was 3rd party with likely no liability, but it allowed me to drive the Prime on highways for hours at a time with no intervention. It had a camera that watched me, but it was based on python code and you could easily edit that out. That's not the point though. The system worked well for what it was and my arms could stay off the wheel for literally hours. I found myself actually being more aware of my surroundings because I didn't have to concentrate on staying within 2 lines, I could look around and see where everyone was. Was it safer? Hell no! But if used responsibly it was a great tool.

The Model Y was a great compromise between the two. Not nearly as nice on a long trip, but much safer and it controls the car much smoother. The Prime wasn't meant for hands free driving so the resolution of the steering angle sensor wasn't that great so it kind of sawtoothed around long curves (but it stayed between the lines).

I think the real problem is managing expectations of owners. When some people hear "Autopilot" they think they can go to sleep. That's not even true in airplanes.

While I do understand what you’re saying, and it isn’t untrue…the rest of that story is that he can’t keep his mouth shut *and* the media doesn’t like what comes out of his mouth. None of them had a problem with him when he was perceived to be on the left. Now that he’s perceived as being on the right, all of a sudden they can’t stop reporting negatively on him. As a centrist, I find this repugnant.
Long, long, long before he started moving his perception to the right, he was full of it and people were calling him on it. The short sellers, the cyber truck annoucement, the FSD demo being faked, etc... that was all long before he went full troll on twitter.

Also, like that's the job. He's the CEO of a public company and the richest person in the world. He was always going to be divisive and have to choose his words wisely.

Then, when said richest man in the world (who was already controversial) starts saying stuff specifically for shock value and to troll people, this is what you get. This isn't a new or novel idea, if you act like a jerk, people are gonna come for you. This is the "I'm not touching you" defense after being annoying to your old brother and he punches you in the nose.

Lastly, he's doing this knowing full well that this would be the reaction. He's not dumb (unless you really think he bought twitter to save humanity or whatever, in which case I can't help you)

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
Left or right has nothing to do with it. I thought the guy was the next Steve Jobs, but he’s been disappointment after disappointment.

When the CEO tells their major sponsors to f*** off, F*** OFF! They should expect negative PR and deserve what they get.

So I got into my eight year old P85D this morning and an undismissable alert with a slowly flashing orange (more orange in real life than in the picture) warning triangle appeared (see photo). It tells me that “software will not update until [low voltage] battery is replaced.” There is no indication elsewhere that there is software queued up to install. I replaced my low voltage battery a few years ago, but I don’t think the second battery has been in the car as long as the first one was before it failed. I don’t believe the first time the battery went bad the warning said anything about the car’s ability to update software.

View attachment 1000412

From this I infer a few things.
  1. the car really wants to install the software that will nerf my AP1 autopilot, which makes me very angry because in eight years I have always looked at the road an had one hand on the wheel.
  2. If it was just a battery warning without the imperative to force an update it wouldn’t have warned me with this language.
  3. the battery performance threshold for installing software is likely more stringent than for a warning to the owner that you need to immediately replace the battery or it would have given me the same warning as it did years ago, and replacing the battery as a result would have done the job of allowing it to install the update.
  4. Because there is no sign of software queued up it may be that the AP software update is installed without asking the owner at all. Alternatively, the fact that the battery is below the threshold may mean it never got queued up in the first place.
My conclusions are
  1. that this is an AP1 get out of jail free card which I intend to play by not replacing the battery at this point [grin], although it’s risky if I don’t get a different warning when the battery is going to fail.
  2. I should probably bring the car to the independent EV garage that’s a couple dozen miles from where I live and have them test the battery but not replace it unless it’s urgent.

The original 12V battery on my 2016 started going about 2 years in. Tesla wrongfully informed me that it wasn't covered by the warranty so I went out and bought a Li-Ion replacement from Ohmmu. It's lasted 5 years with no issues.
12V LFP Batteries for Tesla and EVs | Ohmmu | United States

When I was waiting for the new battery an update came along and I had to keep dismissing the message for a week. The car won't do an update with a failing 12V battery because it could brick up the MCU if the battery fails during the update.

When he stayed in his area of expertise: tech, he was a lot less controversial. Some of his announcements were out ahead of his skis. The promises of AP has been one of those. The realities of full self driving have turned out to be a far more difficult problem than he originally thought.

Over the last few years he has decided he's an expert on everything and he's talking like Cliff Clavin (from Cheers) at the end of the bar on most subjects. Some of the things he's saying now are very wrong to the point of being outright dangerous. They run counter to expertise on public health and threaten the stability of the political system. He is spreading information that is factually untrue.

Did it upgrade on its own, or did you force an upgrade?
Um. The recall updates (2023.44.30.1, 2023.44.30.2, with a 2023.44.30.3 on the horizon) are being sent en mass to hundreds and hundreds of cars. It includes FSD 11.4.9, for those who've paid for it, has the recall update, and the Xmas fun as well, along with the Visual Parking aid stuff.

The .2 and .3 appear to be minor bug fixes; for all we know, there'll be a .4 along at this rate. In any case, if your car is alive, it's highly likely that check or no check, you'll get the software over the next week or so.

Unless Tesla discovers some Major Bug. As usual in such as case, it'll halt deliveries. No sign of that as of yet, but we're only about three or four days into the deploy.