Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pickup Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A full size pickup platform would be bigger and more robust than the S/X platform. It might also be the platform for the small autonomous bus/delivery van there's some buz about. That has a big global very green oriented market.

Not sure what happens to the pickup market in an era of autonomous networked vehicles. I suspect it mostly goes away except as a high end niche and work trucks. A typical pickup truck owner rarely uses it as a truck to carry cargo. If people could call up an autonomous truck or van on their app at any time would they still want to own one? Some would. Very many?

The modern market for luxury pickups was created by CAFE standards first put in place in 1975. Trucks were treated differently because they were utility vehicles that consumers didn't drive at the time. The idea of a expensive luxury pickup would have seemed like a luxury garbage truck.

Last edited:
Not sure what happens to the pickup market in an era of autonomous networked vehicles. I suspect it mostly goes away except as a high end niche and work trucks. A typical pickup truck owner rarely uses it as a truck to carry cargo. If people could call up an autonomous truck or van on their app at any time would they still want to own one? Some would. Very many?
Going a bit further...

Autonomous semis and delivery vans could have a significant impact on (the death of?) the trucking profession -- at least for (human) drivers.

If I were running Tesla, I would build a "Ute" if I wanted to step into the pickup market:

vf-ss-v-redline-ute-w1.jpg

It has been difficult for newcomers to step between Ford, Chevy, and Dodge's long standing full-sized pickup feud. Toyota, Nissan, and Honda have all tried and failed.

The modern gas and diesel pickups are not quite as simple as they appear to outsiders. They have been constantly evolving and show no signs of letting up. And there is a serious horsepower war going on.

Just goes to show you that you can't always predict consumer tastes.

Consumer tastes for trucks have been heavily and continuously influenced by marketing departments ever since the CAFE regs first came out.

Do you have the right truck? The most powerful standard engine? The highest tow rating? Are you a manly man? <- Read that in the gruffest, raspiest voice possible...

• Funny
Reactions: GoTslaGo
A full size pickup platform would be bigger and more robust than the S/X platform. It might also be the platform for the small autonomous bus/delivery van there's some buz about. That has a big global very green oriented market.

The modern market for luxury pickups was created by CAFE standards first put in place in 1975. Trucks were treated differently because they were utility vehicles that consumers didn't drive at the time. The idea of a expensive luxury pickup would have seemed like a luxury garbage truck.
Other than in large city centers, I don't believe that the majority of people will just stop owning cars. Reasons ranging from personalization to cleanliness, to modifications, to being able to leave exactly where you want and many more.

So anyone that would want a pickup now and don't buy in to the concept of sharing(a lot of people) will be the market.

Interesting mockup. But the rear half of the door handle confuses me.

To me, it seems like the pickup market has pretty much moved past small rear seats and suicide doors, preferring the "Crew Cab" format with a full door (and lots of rear leg room). I think Falcon Wing Doors would be impractical due to the higher roof line of a pickup, so I suspect McHoffa was thinking of something like this in the rendering.

2015-Ford-F-150-Door.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 1208
Someone in my town has one of your behemoths, a ram, it is three times the size of most cars in the town. Makes the range rover look like a mini.

Great mockup @McHoffa best Tesla PickUp I have scene. I would buy that. One improvement would be to take the wheels from the 3, and add them to it.

The Ford F-150 is the best selling street legal vehicle in the US and the Chevy and Dodge pickups aren't far behind. I see these behemoths in clumps. When you go into Portland, it's wall to wall Priuses and other economy cars, but cross the Columbia into Clark Co, WA which has wider streets and is more politically conservative, it's wall to wall trucks. Few of those people actually have any daily use for the truck, they just want the big moose vehicle. A big truck is a status symbol in some circles.

The problem with an EV pickup is aerodynamic drag and poor range. It would be difficult to make a pickup with good range with the current battery technology. Elon Musk has talked about making a pickup, but I suspect Tesla is waiting for the battery tech to get better energy density first.

To me, it seems like the pickup market has pretty much moved past small rear seats and suicide doors, preferring the "Crew Cab" format with a full door (and lots of rear leg room). I think Falcon Wing Doors would be impractical due to the higher roof line of a pickup, so I suspect McHoffa was thinking of something like this in the rendering.
Perhaps, but the rendering doesn't show any split in the metal below the C pillar to accomodate anything swinging open at all.

Autonomy changes things for what you can do with a working pickup so that probably has an impact on consumer use too.

You could send your pickup to Home Depot to get materials or tools and bring them to a worksite all by itself. It wouldn't take long before everybody provided L5 drive through loading your smartphone order in your autonomous vehicle.

Once they're fully ready for snow, snow plowing and salting doesn't need a driver.

Of course anybody could send a pickup to get stuff from Home Depot without owning one using the Mobility App.

I suspect in general that notion of people just ordering stuff online and having it delivered becomes much more compelling with autonomous vehicles that can go from and to anywhere. Pickups are well suited for "Picking up" stuff. With Mobility apps though everybody can have whatever vehicle is most suited to what you're doing.