Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm coming from a Toyota Hybrid and wasn't sure of the one pedal driving advantage. I think it would be a nice option to have the regen on the brake pedal for folks moving over from a similar system. But I have to say that I would probably select the one pedal driving most of the time. It's great.

I'll share a cool Tesla story I experienced the other day. Although there are a few items I would like to see with Tesla's Navigation system (such as a perspective view on the big screen), there are some pretty amazing capabilities that I don't realize some times. Case in point: Friday I had a lot of appointments to go to - throughout the city. I ended up using 50% of my battery that day so that is a lot of driving (for me). Sometimes the Nav decides to take me on routes that I don't understand so I sometimes bypass and go "my way". On Friday morning I did this and didn't realize that the Nav was directing me away from a slowdown on Crowchild and I ended up in a 30 min traffic delay as a result of not listening to my Nav. Later that day, I finished up an appointment and got in the car to see a pop-up stating that the car noticed my next appointment (which was in my calendar) would be delayed if I took the normal route so it redirected me and noted I would save 5 minutes by bypassing this route. I ended up taking a roundabout way to my appointment but saw the Google traffic lines were completely red on most of South Crowchild Trail. This little pop-up saved me a ton of time and I was amazed that the car looked at my upcoming appointments and cross-referenced the location with the traffic reports for me... another reason I love Tesla :).

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Alberta Tesla owners. I'm looking to interview a few individuals for an upcoming magazine article on electric cars (Tesla owners specifically) with an Alberta scope. I'm based in Calgary and am open to phone interviews or an email conversation. I'd love to know the challenges faced by Tesla owners within the province (availability of charging stations, weather, delivery, service etc.), but also more general information (road tripping in a Tesla, how does it drive/feel). If you're interested, please contact me at [email protected]. Thanks.
Hi AliB and welcome. I'm sure you'll get some responses, however it is unlikely you will get a lot of owners griping about challenges as most of us are pretty thrilled with our cars. That said, I hope that your article isn't looking for just the negatives as too many of these media articles we see are focused on some relatively minor niggles about electric car ownership where a majority of owners are highly satisfied with the ownership experience. Good luck! :)

Hi,
JGDixon on the TMC emailed me as we have previously corresponded and talked about an Alberta (or mid/western Canada) type owners club. JG is president of an Ontario owners club (can't remember if it's Ottawa specific). They have been operating as an independent body but it appears that Tesla is interested in making owners clubs a more formal arrangement. John mentioned this to me, wondering if we (not sure if this is city specific, province or region) want to formalize a club here and get on board with the Tesla arrangement. I've listed some of the points from Tesla indicating advantages and conversely any expectations from them. I've listed some questions below - I'm thinking that JGDixon might be able to chip in on the first question and possibly give us a quick overview of what is involved.

- What is involved in a formal owners group - what positions need to be created/filled, is there any cost associated?
- Do we have enough people interested in forming a formal group - is there some minimum number of owners to make it worthwhile?
- Do we have people willing to take on any formal roles (e.g. President) - Who? and How do we nominate/elect?
- Do we need to have some minimum level of events/meets to make it worthwhile?

JG is already looking at a website that could be used to include an /Alberta (or whatever) sub area. I'm happy to work on starting up this initiative but that doesn't mean I'm considering one of the club roles necessarily - I need to figure out any time commitments carefully given my new family growth :)
~gpetti

Tesla Email Points:

• Share our branding with a specially-designed logo for exclusive owners club use (with a licensing agreement in place)
  • Extend support for club events – like providing Tesla staff or the usage of Tesla Store / Service Center
  • Provide Tesla merchandise discounts to participating clubs
  • Streamline communications between clubs and Tesla via a dedicated e-mail inbox
  • Promote club events via our social channels
We’d like you to help us from time to time too, like with involvement in some of our Early Adopter Program activities and promotion of our Referral Program.

So my feeling is we should go ahead and formalize this given there is no obvious downside and some potential benefits from Tesla. While I'm happy to start this off and take the role of "President", I'm assuming that does not mean that I will be organizing all events, I think we can continue as before with individuals proposing possible meets as situations dictate. Also, we can discuss other candidates for the president role in future meetings.

I think we can try to set something more regular and predictable but we can discuss further in the next month or two - possibly at our next face to face. I think these are the initial points of order:
- We can continue to use this thread as it is already kind of an owners group thread, but I may start a separate thread if this is not working.
- if anyone has concerns or suggestions please drop them here or PM me.
- For anyone who explicitly wants to be a member of this owner's group, please PM me and if I don't already know, you can optionally give me your actual name and email address. I'm assuming that this should not be shared to anyone else without permission? I think we can also use the thread and TMC group for anyone who doesn't want any external contact information shared.
- I will also reach out to a few people who are not on this forum, or who are not often on this forum.
- I can fill out the Tesla forms as best as possible.

Anything else?
Cheers
Greg

So my feeling is we should go ahead and formalize this given there is no obvious downside and some potential benefits from Tesla. While I'm happy to start this off and take the role of "President"...

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this gpetti... or should I say President GPetti!?! I had a (waldo) thought about your video idea... while perhaps hokey, what about parking a bunch of cars very close together (side by side), and get some poster board on the roof, with a message (or our names or forum handles, whatever makes the most sense) that spans across all the cars ... as the camera flies over the cars, the message is revealed? We could have the owners all standing at the end of the flyover waving or whatnot. Of course, this would involve a get together pretty soon, to have time to pull it together before the holidays kick in.

So, I oh so nearly joined the 'needing a tow' club on the weekend. A family function had me picking up (issue 1) my sisters and niece and driving to Vermillion (actually, a hall in the middle of the countryside a ways away from Vermilion) (issue 2). While I had made a family event there in the summer, it wasn't so far outside the town proper, I left from my home (closer to destination), and it was warmer. I had it all calculated out, and we would have been fine, except one sister was 45min late, which cost us about ~60KM worth of charging time at the Vermilion charger. The hall we were at had zero outside plug ins, and very few interior plug ins, nothing that I could use. I was, however, able to drive to a nearby farmstead and plug in there for the few hours of the event, which ended up being the key factor in having this work out.
So we drove back to Edmonton in the middle of the night, driving 65km/hr (so a 2 hour drive turned into nearly 4), with very little heat, and I ended up getting to my place with 1KM rated range left. From there, we jumped into my wife's car to drop them off at their place. My sisters now will never forget their trip in the Tesla ;-) And I am done (hopefully) with close calls. Living on the edge is great and all, but now that I've done it, I have no urge to push boundaries again! (next time I would back track to the Vermilion charger and charge again on the way home... the trip is totally doable without stress just by adding a bit of patience/common sense LOL.)

Footbag, i feel your pain. the cold weather and multiple small trips (cold starts) this weekend resulted in me almost not making it home from Strathmore to Airdrie. I was supposed to have an additional 80Kms left in my planning, but multiple warmups took a nose dive on my charge. i also went into range mode, minimal heat and doing 95kmh on the highway. if you use cruise control it will come in pretty close to the trip planner.

- - - Updated - - -

Gpetti,

I would be interested in taking on a formal/informal position with the ownership Group. I've actually been thinking about getting more involved and am welcoming the opportunity.
I am fairly flexible, but a formalized role would be great.

I will send you a PM with my details later this evening so we can converse accordingly.

- - - Updated - - -

Gpetti,

I would be interested in taking on a formal/informal position with the ownership Group. I've actually been thinking about getting more involved and am welcoming the opportunity.
I am fairly flexible, but a formalized role would be great.

I will send you a PM with my details later this evening so we can converse accordingly.

Watched some of your videos m1ker, I really like that colour of your car. I still like the darker blue better than the current lighter shade.
We have been really happy with the color pick. Still love it 8 months later.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this gpetti... or should I say President GPetti!?! I had a (waldo) thought about your video idea... while perhaps hokey, what about parking a bunch of cars very close together (side by side), and get some poster board on the roof, with a message (or our names or forum handles, whatever makes the most sense) that spans across all the cars ... as the camera flies over the cars, the message is revealed? We could have the owners all standing at the end of the flyover waving or whatnot. Of course, this would involve a get together pretty soon, to have time to pull it together before the holidays kick in.
No need for poster board, just putting text overlaid on the video would achieve the same effect without risking scratches..

True. I see in the other thread that Dec 7 is the deadline. I unfortunately am all booked up for the next week, so I won't be able to make a meetup if one was to happen this coming weekend.
Since you have some video editing skills... we could all do a short "selfie" video and send it to you to compile? 10s each with a quick, "here's my car and why I love Tesla"...

i have to admit that driving a model s is the winter or on cold days definitely takes a heavy toll on the range. I have noticed as much as 50% reduction in my range. It's just fair to any potential ev adopter of the very few drawbacks, why sugar coat the truth! Being honest is the best policy.

i love my tesla.. It's near perfect.

Ouch, that's a lot. That makes the Model 3's ~320 km of projected range feel seriously skimpy. What conditions does it take to see a 50% reduction in range? I thought it wouldn't be more than 30% even in snow, based on what I have heard elsewhere on this forum. What's the usual amount of range you see in the winter?

That's really bad advertising, Footbag! I hope that wasn't their first (or last) ride in a Tesla ... that experience wouldn't instill confidence in even the most hardcore EV driver.

On one hand, I did prepare them for the 'adventure' of a 'winter' road trip in my car. On the other hand, yes I felt a bit bad, partially on the reflection it would have on Tesla. One sister had enjoyed the car before, so she'd good. The other sister and daughter... other than having to hold her pee, the daughter found the entire thing funny lol. And I'm just about to go take her mom for an "insane" test ride (she already was blown away with autopilot, and being able to call songs up at will via voice, and the frunk, and...). I'm sure i'll undo any damage I may have instilled on the Tesla brand ;-)

My Vermilion relatives are pretty much amazed an electric car could even make it out there... and when they thought it needed some fancy expensive charger system, and then I simply plugged into a 110V outlet, they were shocked (I didn't really get into details about it being super slow... sometimes less is more).

Regarding the video... Alberta could send in a compiled video... or we could each send in the clips as per the original request. If we do a compiled video, I nominate and defer to M1ker regarding editing the video together, I simply won't have time to do so over the next two weeks sadly.

My Vermilion relatives are pretty much amazed an electric car could even make it out there... and when they thought it needed some fancy expensive charger system, and then I simply plugged into a 110V outlet, they were shocked (I didn't really get into details about it being super slow... sometimes less is more).
The Level 2 Sun Country charger in Vermillion is awesome. 80A one of the highest amp chargers I used in my YQR-->YEG road trip. Only downside to the Vermillion charger is it's nowhere near a hotel. Albertans probably think L2 is slow given existence of Superchargers + plans for many more. Us peons to the East think 80A is amazing because we might never get Superchargers ;)