Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ouch, that's a lot. That makes the Model 3's ~320 km of projected range feel seriously skimpy. What conditions does it take to see a 50% reduction in range? I thought it wouldn't be more than 30% even in snow, based on what I have heard elsewhere on this forum. What's the usual amount of range you see in the winter?
In my experience it depend on a number of things:
1) Car stored in heated garage overnight. Cold soaked battery vs warm.
2) Short trips , more cabinet heat per km driven

Many other factors best answered here.
Cold-Weather-Driving

On one hand, I did prepare them for the 'adventure' of a 'winter' road trip in my car. On the other hand, yes I felt a bit bad, partially on the reflection it would have on Tesla. One sister had enjoyed the car before, so she'd good. The other sister and daughter... other than having to hold her pee, the daughter found the entire thing funny lol. And I'm just about to go take her mom for an "insane" test ride (she already was blown away with autopilot, and being able to call songs up at will via voice, and the frunk, and...). I'm sure i'll undo any damage I may have instilled on the Tesla brand ;-)

My Vermilion relatives are pretty much amazed an electric car could even make it out there... and when they thought it needed some fancy expensive charger system, and then I simply plugged into a 110V outlet, they were shocked (I didn't really get into details about it being super slow... sometimes less is more).

Regarding the video... Alberta could send in a compiled video... or we could each send in the clips as per the original request. If we do a compiled video, I nominate and defer to M1ker regarding editing the video together, I simply won't have time to do so over the next two weeks sadly.
My thought was that we could use some footage of Waldo at crescent heights, then either add an audio track with a message from Alberta, maybe with a list of names and vehicles, or we could video edit a graphic that appears over the video with the message on it. Maybe an initial message for a few seconds followed by a list of owners and their cars. When I say "we" it does sound like m1ker would be best equipped to do it but I'd be willing to provide help with collecting content.

It also limits effective pre-heating, so you unfortunately have to remember to turn it on and off each day...
Another of many ridiculous Tesla settings, it should know that if you are trying to pre-heat and are plugged in to shore power to ignore range mode!

Believe me, I've pointed that out to Tesla on more than one occasion.

In my opinion, the Range Mode as currently implemented is pretty useless for normal operation. I only use it if I can't preheat on AC and I have a very long way to go. Once the car is properly warmed up the Range Mode doesn't really do anything.

Tesla claimed some efficiency improvements to HVAC on the recent firmware upgrade... though so far the improvement merely serves to render cabin temperature regulation WORSE. It's far more likely to make the cabin too warm or too cold depending on the ambient conditions; I'm often fiddling with the temperature dial, whereas before I'd rarely touch it.

I worry about what it's going to do when the real winter hits. The initial HVAC programming (winter 2012/2013) was really really bad; they made some big improvements for the following winter, and I really hope they haven't backtracked on that.

In my opinion, the Range Mode as currently implemented is pretty useless for normal operation. I only use it if I can't preheat on AC and I have a very long way to go. Once the car is properly warmed up the Range Mode doesn't really do anything.

Tesla claimed some efficiency improvements to HVAC on the recent firmware upgrade... though so far the improvement merely serves to render cabin temperature regulation WORSE. It's far more likely to make the cabin too warm or too cold depending on the ambient conditions; I'm often fiddling with the temperature dial, whereas before I'd rarely touch it.

I worry about what it's going to do when the real winter hits. The initial HVAC programming (winter 2012/2013) was really really bad; they made some big improvements for the following winter, and I really hope they haven't backtracked on that.
IMO, it would be a lot simpler and more user-friendly if the Tesla had 3 modes (in my case)... Insane, Sport, Econo - the econo mode would lower throttle response and engage "range mode" type settings to extend range. Why would this be in a different screen? Also I thought it was a prerequisite for any "green car" to have an econo mode...? :)

My thought was that we could use some footage of Waldo at crescent heights, then either add an audio track with a message from Alberta, maybe with a list of names and vehicles, or we could video edit a graphic that appears over the video with the message on it. Maybe an initial message for a few seconds followed by a list of owners and their cars. When I say "we" it does sound like m1ker would be best equipped to do it but I'd be willing to provide help with collecting content.
Sounds good, happy to do the editing. Best way t get content to me if you are local is in person via memory stick, next best method would be to put it on iCloud, Dropbox, oneDrive, or google drive and share it with me from there some can download them.

Stiching them them together will be simple.

The Level 2 Sun Country charger in Vermillion is awesome. 80A one of the highest amp chargers I used in my YQR-->YEG road trip. Only downside to the Vermillion charger is it's nowhere near a hotel. Albertans probably think L2 is slow given existence of Superchargers + plans for many more. Us peons to the East think 80A is amazing because we might never get Superchargers ;)

The plus side of that charger is it is at a mall... a mall which had a craft show when I was there. I was wondering if I could keep my sisters occupied while we charged... a craft show did the trick!
Just a helpful note to others, 80A suncountry chargers like Vermilion (and the one at the Esso station just north of Calgary) require a button press to get the full 80A. I didn't know that the first time I charged in Vermilion (yes the instructions state this... if you read instructions!).
As expected, when I took my sister for a ride yesterday, she had a MUCH better impression of the car. Even on the slightly slippery roads around here, was able to do a 'nearly full out' launch and she loved it.

- - - Updated - - -

FootBag - Was driving by and saw you parked on 107 ST outside the Legislature on Sunday (~3:45 pm, license plate gave you away), looked like you were "selling" some people on the wonders of your MS :) The MS looked great!

You should have stopped and said hi!

IMO, it would be a lot simpler and more user-friendly if the Tesla had 3 modes (in my case)... Insane, Sport, Econo - the econo mode would lower throttle response and engage "range mode" type settings to extend range. Why would this be in a different screen? Also I thought it was a prerequisite for any "green car" to have an econo mode...? :)

The energy used by heating is orders of magnitude more than any difference you'll see by accelerating harder, unless you're in the habit of accelerating then slamming on the brakes repeatedly. I don't see any point in limiting "throttle response". (There is no throttle.)

The energy used by heating is orders of magnitude more than any difference you'll see by accelerating harder, unless you're in the habit of accelerating then slamming on the brakes repeatedly. I don't see any point in limiting "throttle response". (There is no throttle.)

I don't think this is true but I've done no research of my own. I think various owners (Doug_G for one) have done extensive analysis of range effects. I know he maintains that speed reduction has way more effect than heating reduction though I'm not sure about acceleration. I would have to guess that spirited driving which usually leads to expending more energy than necessary, would use much more range than having the heater on. @Doug?

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds good, happy to do the editing. Best way t get content to me if you are local is in person via memory stick, next best method would be to put it on iCloud, Dropbox, oneDrive, or google drive and share it with me from there some can download them.

Stiching them them together will be simple.
Thanks. @footbag, can you re-post the link that has your video in it? If people who want to be included could PM me, with as much of this as you are comfortable with: Full name (couples fine or TMC name if preferable), Tesla model, and last 5 digits of VIN if you're ok with that. See below for the banner that was placed in the Tesla factory last year. Any thoughts on message?

attachment.php?attachmentid=68705&d=1420824598.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I'm kind of dipping in here a bit so apologies if I've missed this point elsewhere. The range mode is supposedly very important if you have an AWD car. Probably most on the PxxD cars due to the feature they call "Torque Sleep". If you enable Range mode on one of the D cars, it more or less tells you that but it was also confirmed in a JB Straubel blog if I'm not mistaken. If you're driving an AWD on the highway and you want to get the type of range that is advertised, I think you really need to use Range mode. In my experience the car is usually comfortable enough anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to provide a name for our group. I'm not really planning anything more imaginative than Alberta Tesla Owners. I'm happy that we include other owners in other provinces, particularly Saskatchewan and Manitoba as they probably don't have enough critical mass to start their own (someone should definitely start one in BC!). EVen so, I'm not sure we need to try and name the group Western/Central Tesla owners or anything like that. This will predominantly be Alberta owners meeting up in Alberta.
Thoughts?

Maybe this should have its own thread?

That sounds a a fair and reasonable request. We sure don't want to elianate any tesla fan.
I agree that it is reasonable but I think we should still call it Alberta Tesla Owners as that is what we are essentially signing up to with Tesla. Similar to having out of province owners, the name of the group doesn't mean that non-owners can't attend. We just won't tell them the secret handshake :)

I agree that it is reasonable but I think we should still call it Alberta Tesla Owners as that is what we are essentially signing up to with Tesla. Similar to having out of province owners, the name of the group doesn't mean that non-owners can't attend. We just won't tell them the secret handshake :)

As an addendum to this, I noticed in the Tesla paperwork that it asks for the number of Owner Members and then the number of "Fan Members"