Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently decided to finally give a facelift to a crummy little house we own next to our main house and which we use as a kind of studio/guest house. The carport in front of it serves as my parking spot so we had originally installed the HPWC on the front of that house facing the street. As part of the facelift process, we decided to move the HPWC to a less conspicuous spot to a side-facing porch wall for aesthetics. While the electrician was removing the HPWC one of the neighborhood kids came by and seemed very concerned, asking if we were getting rid of the Tesla (!!!). He seemed so relieved when my husband explained that we were just moving the charger.

Reactions: F_T_K
Yesterday I drove the the immigration office to do the oath (I'm now officially American, yay). Parking lot was packed except some empty spots right up front. I assumed they were handicap spots and drove by but thought they looked funny. Stopped and read the sign: "Low emissions vehicle parking only". Hey, that's what I'm driving! Felt like a rock star as I parked right at the entrance with everyone passing by looking.

Yesterday I drove the the immigration office to do the oath (I'm now officially American, yay). Parking lot was packed except some empty spots right up front. I assumed they were handicap spots and drove by but thought they looked funny. Stopped and read the sign: "Low emissions vehicle parking only". Hey, that's what I'm driving! Felt like a rock star as I parked right at the entrance with everyone passing by looking.
In Texas? Surprised it didn't say "Low-emissions-vehicle-purchased-at-a-franchised-dealer parking only" :wink:

Reactions: Old Wyseguy
Texans are a lot smarter and more rational than the politicians we (for some mysterious reason) keep electing.
Yeah. The dealers there are really integrated into the political system and seem to advertise heavily. You can tell just by being behind a car bought at a Texas dealer: there is usually a giant metal plate riveted to the car advertising the dealer it came from. I've seen this one a lot, even out here in California:

10918114-mcdavid-honda.jpg

That would bug the hell out of me. They wouldn't sell me a car without making sure I get one without that big ugly dealer advertisement on it. Best the dealers out here can do is license plate frames, because they know their customers would revolt if they tried anything like mounting an advertisement to your trunk lid.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on your new status! Nor as rockstar, as an American!
Hear hear! I take it zwede is from Sweden. A little warmer in Texas than it is in Stockholm? :biggrin:

Yeah. The dealers there are really integrated into the political system and seem to advertise heavily. You can tell just by being behind a car bought at a Texas dealer: there is usually a giant metal plate riveted to the car advertising the dealer it came from. I've seen this one a lot, even out here in California:

View attachment 51970

That would bug the hell out of me. They wouldn't sell me a car without making sure I get one without that big ugly dealer advertisement on it. Best the dealers out here can do is license plate frames, because they know their customers would revolt if they tried anything like mounting an advertisement to your trunk lid.

- - - Updated - - -

Hear hear! I take it zwede is from Sweden. A little warmer in Texas than it is in Stockholm? :biggrin:

When I bought a car in Pennsylvania they badged them. I told them if my car came out with a badge, I wouldn't take it. They assured me that it wouldn't, but it still came out badged. The sales guy couldn't believe that I wouldn't take it anyway, but I left and bought my car elsewhere.

I just picked up my new Tesla today (VIN 43347) And I immediately had my first Tesla moment and of cause the Tesla grin plastered on my face the whole time. So I was driving on the George Bush tollroad and a teenager in the passenger side of a truck photographed, probably filmed and got himself a serious neck twist trying not to lose sight of my new car. This was a great moment and made my already perfect day even better.

Two Tesla moments today.

First one was while just finishing a range charge at Kingman AZ. An ICE pulled into the combined supercharger/handicapped spot next to my driver's door and motioned me to roll down the window. He asked if this was an electric car, yes; no - no gas; no, not any gas at all, 100% electric; correct, it's electric and it's not boxy or ugly; yes it's faster than nearly all production cars. We also gave the spiel about the Gen III coming out. Finally he thanked us and said he'd better move before he gets a ticket for the handicapped spot.

Second one was non-verbal - first I noticed a Nissan of some kind come up fast behind us on the way to Flagstaff. Next they slowed down behind us and did the 7 O'clock Stalk for a while, then slowly started passing us. As the passenger window came even with mine I glanced over. There was the passenger in the front seat, casually NOT looking at us, but with an iPhone held nonchalantly just above the bottom of the window, face out. Hmmm... wonder what they were doing. Once the passenger window cleared the front of my car, the phone went away.

ok was at the Seattle store/gallery today; executing an inventory purchase, given it was the first day of summer; Seattle actually had a day of summer weather (generally can't be counted on till mid or late July). We have a local tourist attraction called the duck with WWII amphibious landing vehicles that do a tour followed by a splash in lake union.

Anyway the store had the rolling door open where people could see or wander in for a peek and the driver of the duck was pointing out the Tesla gallery/store via the vehicle PA; which I heard and replied loudly that hey I just brought one LOL!

Someone asked me today "well what happens if you leave the headlights lights on?" I replied "The software shuts them off after a few minutes, however if it didn't I suppose they would stay on for a few months." Wow!

I just now did the math, they would stay on for almost a month (excluding all other loads and assuming draining the battery to 0.)
Interesting enough, Musk was asked the same question during Export-Import conference:

Elon Musk Tesla SpaceX | Video | C-SPAN.org

(mentioned in the first minute)
Revealing Model S Beta | Blog | Tesla Motors
Beta Reveal Pt. 3: Interior & Touchscreen
~2:00
Elon Musk said:
you could probably run the computer for about 6 months

Yesterday morning two middle-aged gentlemen knocked on my door, holding religious pamphlets. My bf answered, but instead of them trying to "convert" us, one of the men was so excited about seeing my Tesla in the driveway that's all he wanted to talk about. He knew all about Elon, the company, SpaceX, etc. I came out and gave them a tour of the inside. The other guy was not into it, but the one who was seemed so excited he was about to start jumping up and down.

I had planned to attend the local C&C earlier that day but backed out, but as they left my bf commented, "there, you still got to get your Tesla talk fix."

Yesterday morning two middle-aged gentlemen knocked on my door, holding religious pamphlets. My bf answered, but instead of them trying to "convert" us, one of the men was so excited about seeing my Tesla in the driveway that's all he wanted to talk about. He knew all about Elon, the company, SpaceX, etc. I came out and gave them a tour of the inside. The other guy was not into it, but the one who was seemed so excited he was about to start jumping up and down.

I had planned to attend the local C&C earlier that day but backed out, but as they left my bf commented, "there, you still got to get your Tesla talk fix."

Hahaha, that's so funny!

I cannot imagine what it is to be the interested part of a relationship, and the other one - well, less excited. I find it hard as well, not to talk about it whenever I can, and I don't even have the car yet! Fortunately, my better half is also very excited about it, although not as much as I am obviously (!). I must have talked so much about the car I have sold at least one for sure, some maybe. A friend of mine ordered one and just confirmed it today, changing the colour at the last moment from silver to green, otherwise, pretty similar specs to mine (except steering wheel in the opposite sides and he has cold weather package).

I have tried on a few occasions that people talk vividly about the Tesla (without owning one), where I say I've ordered one - and usually that goes down quite well on top of someone else praising it.