Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S - Pros vs Cons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$350 for annual on a Civic is some dealer's idea of a joke. I paid $60 or so for an annual oil change. There wasn't much else. At 60k - I changed out the tranny fluid - $100. There is a $30 cabin filter changed every other year. That was the extent of it and I had it for 80k miles. $350 a year would have been $2000 instead of the $500

i'm assuming he meant that he had 21s first but after that whole fiasco he switched to 19s so that it wouldn't happen again.

LOL... no, that's not what he meant at all. i know you are heartbroken, as you have seemingly dedicated your life to this issue, but he had all that trouble WITH 19" WHEELS.

btw i meant to ask you - do you have a lot of experience driving the factory Tesla 21" wheels? because i was looking through some of your history and couldn't find anything...

Service cost is a matter of perspective. If you have a comparable car in cost (mine is a Lexus LS460L), then the dealer service at Lexus is quite a bit more expensive than the annual Tesla service. In addition, even after paying $600 for a basic major service (not including anything that actually needs repair or replacement) I always get the pressure for an upsell of something that could be dangerous. And the upsell always happens while I am away from the dealer, in the loaner or at home - so I can't easily see what is needed. Last time it was the brakes. I said no and took the car to an independent mechanic who told me if it were his car, he wouldn't change the brakes, they were fine.

as you have seemingly dedicated your life to this issue

Yes that's exactly what I've done. I've dedicated my life to educating others about all the problems driving with 21" low profile tires and expensive rims subject to damage. This takes sole priority in my life. I've given up everything for this. Well, almost everything. Maybe I'll sell my P85 and use the funds to buy a billboard to blast the issue more somewhere on your daily commute. My life will not be complete until the world is enlightened. FWIW I hope you hit a nasty pothole and blow out all your tires and crack your rims and snap all your axles on your P85D. Also FWIW the 21" pothole blowout issues will be even more prevalent on the 'D' models due to the forward torque on the front wheels. I hope your pockets are very steep. hallelujah.

wow, didn't expect to have that many comments and inputs. Some are damn hilarious. lol

I've seen a lot of comments about annual service. How much would it be actually? I'm not a Tesla owner, yet but really interested to have one and I think it will save me tons of $$ in a long run. I'm paying almost $400 a month on car payment, around $240 on gas, plus a non-stop minor issues that slowly empty up my pocket... I think Model S is what I'm going to get later on.

I am coming up on my first year and am planning on doing the service myself. Per Tesla, the only things that should be replaced are the wipers and FOB battery. Pretty cheap, much cheaper than I could service even a Honda, let alone a nice performance or luxury car. Oil changes on my Viper were over 60$ for just the 9 quarts of oil and filter.

i'm assuming he meant that he had 21s first but after that whole fiasco he switched to 19s so that it wouldn't happen again.
Dude, I am a New Yorker and I have a clue. HELL yeah I Have had 19s the whole time. The tesla is my daily car. There is no way you can commute in NYC with 21s unless you drive 20 mph and keep your eyes peeled non stop searching the road ahead for some off color patch of asphalt that will ruin your week if ignored.

- - - Updated - - -

... can't complain, because you're NOT paying road taxes, because you're NOT filling up at the pumps where the tax is levied.
Hell yeah I can complain. Implied in your statement is that it I get to direct where ANY of my taxes go. I do not. It is all just a black hole that I dump into on an aggregated basis. It is an undifferentiated mass of Benjamins. I do not know where it goes, and it certainly does not ask me for direction. FWIW, my tax rate is north of 50 percent so I will damn well complain as I please about my lack of tax dollars actually being used for the infrastructure which we ALL use.

There is no way you can commute in NYC with 21s unless you drive 20 mph and keep your eyes peeled non stop searching the road ahead for some off color patch of asphalt that will ruin your week if ignored.

lol even that won't save you no matter how good your eyes are. It's not even just potholes but also differences where pavement meets when they rip up roads or those damn metal slabs they put everywhere. He'll even the bumps across random intersections are enough to do it.

Dude, I am a New Yorker and I have a clue. HELL yeah I Have had 19s the whole time. The tesla is my daily car. There is no way you can commute in NYC with 21s unless you drive 20 mph and keep your eyes peeled non stop searching the road ahead for some off color patch of asphalt that will ruin your week if ignored..

LOL.... okay and my point stands. while 21's wouldn't have been any better, clearly the 19's have also failed to protect you from pothole-riddled roads of NYC. 4 flat tires and 2 bent rims, all in the 19" wheels.

my point is, with either wheel, you have to avoid bad potholes. hell, EVERYONE has to avoid bad potholes whether they drive a Tesla or not. it's not like Tesla cars are the only ones getting flats and bending rims.

Yo-boy's bizarre crusade against the Tesla 21" wheel is biased, exaggerated, and at this point, frankly a little weird.

Hell yeah I can complain. ... my tax rate is north of 50 percent so I will damn well complain as I please about my lack of tax dollars actually being used for the infrastructure which we ALL use.
Not to start a whole big thing here, but tax dollars are collected and distributed in specific ways. Meaning, you could be paying $1M a year in taxes but not one red cent could be allocated for road upkeep. So keep that in mind. Just because your town/city/county/state/country collects from you doesn't mean you've paid your share in up-keeping the roads. You may, I'm just throwing it out there as a generality.

Not to start a whole big thing here, but tax dollars are collected and distributed in specific ways. Meaning, you could be paying $1M a year in taxes but not one red cent could be allocated for road upkeep. So keep that in mind. Just because your town/city/county/state/country collects from you doesn't mean you've paid your share in up-keeping the roads. You may, I'm just throwing it out there as a generality.
Once again, I am not consulted. If I were asked, I would classify infrastructure maintenance and IMPROVEMENT as a top priority. Not allowed any input, I am well within my rights to complain, vociferously so if need be. BTW, I am not the one who injected taxes into this thread.

Pro (or is it a Con): It encourages a attitude of patience.

It's great fun to drive fast, but driving slower gives you more time to enjoy the ride.

Software upgrades are wonderful when they arrive, but waiting for them give plenty of time to rant on these forums.

Same is true for superchargers, chademo adapters, the Model X, and anything said to be "coming soon".

Finally, we've learned that these models will be substantially improved year by year: upgrade now and you'll certainly enjoy the results, but driving a '13 model means I can wait another year or two to see what 2016 will deliver.

Patience is both demanded and rewarded of Tesla owners.