Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model S in the slow lane during road trips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I got enough response to make the conclusion that people here drive in the slow lane (right lane) because they are not in a rush. I do have to admit that makes a bit of sense. In my gas car, I always feel I am rushed. But in my Spark EV, I take my time even on the same route. But if one was rushed, would the supercharging station be sufficient? The other thing to note is the availability of the supercharging station. On my way back I notice the Tejon Pass supercharger was pretty packed with a few tesla on the side. I don't know if they were there for the night or just hanging out to chat or waiting for the slot to be open. But it is a bit concerning. As much as I would like to hang out and chat, I still would like to make my destination before night.

I guess I got enough response to make the conclusion that people here drive in the slow lane (right lane) because they are not in a rush. I do have to admit that makes a bit of sense. In my gas car, I always feel I am rushed. But in my Spark EV, I take my time even on the same route. But if one was rushed, would the supercharging station be sufficient? The other thing to note is the availability of the supercharging station. On my way back I notice the Tejon Pass supercharger was pretty packed with a few tesla on the side. I don't know if they were there for the night or just hanging out to chat or waiting for the slot to be open. But it is a bit concerning. As much as I would like to hang out and chat, I still would like to make my destination before night.
Let me reassure you that along this route, there is no need to take the slow lane. Having just driven this route both ways a few weeks ago, I drove at 80-85 average with recharge at Tejon, Harris Ranch and Manteca. No wait at any of the stations. At Tejon, there was only at most one other Tesla there (including an overnight stop at the hotel across the street). You must have seen it at "rush hour". Harris Ranch only one other Tesla and Manteca up to three Teslas.
Check out evtripplanner.com. It gives you the distance between the Superchargers and estimates how much you need to charge. It's excellent.
The distances between these Superchargers are about 100-130 miles so you can go as fast as you want.

It really is a "glass half full / half empty" thing...instead of being annoyed, try being happy that your green EV is flexible enough to get you where you need to go (for longer trips), or can be a whole load of fun (on shorter, everyday trips).

When I'm on a longer trip, and some ICER starts dancing around looking for some competition, I understand your frustration... I know what you mean about wanting to use your massive HP to dispatch him...you kind of feel a bit like a rabbit caught out of it's hole...when this happens, I just remind myself that the energy used to drive my car is next to free (compared with the ICER)...it always make me smile...:biggrin:

I've had to back down from the ideal 75 mph to 65 for longer trips that aren't super charger assisted.

Turning off the HVAC saves a ton of juice. But yea, it's annoying to me driving with 360+ HP when I can't USE IT!

It's only been a few times though. Most days I end up doing 55 in a 35 because it feels... normal? with the brakes and steering it just feels like not a big deal... went back to driving our 3rd car, a 2005 Mazda Tribute... 40 in a 35 feels unsafe as hell!

I guess I'm confused by this "fast lane" and "slow lane" stuff. I thought there was a driving lane and a passing lane. Is this a California thing? Do you designate another lane as the "fast lane" if there are more than two lanes each direction?

In California, any lane on any freeway is open to any two-axle vehicle. When I travel to other states, I see signs that advise, "keep right except to pass." That law is not on our books. The closest you get to that philosophy is "Slow traffic keep right."

In California, any lane on any freeway is open to any two-axle vehicle. When I travel to other states, I see signs that advise, "keep right except to pass." That law is not on our books. The closest you get to that philosophy is "Slow traffic keep right."
State Laws | The Left Lane Is For Passing

California
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=21001-22000&file=21650-21664
21654. (a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any
vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal
speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be
driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable
to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing
another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing
for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or
driveway.
(b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal
speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is
not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as
practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima
facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation
of subdivision (a) of this section.
(c) The Department of Transportation, with respect to state
highways, and local authorities, with respect to highways under their
jurisdiction, may place and maintain upon highways official signs
directing slow-moving traffic to use the right-hand traffic lane
except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or preparing for a
left turn.

CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 21650-21664

21650. Upon all highways, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right
half of the roadway, except as follows:
(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the
same direction under the rules governing that movement.

Thanks for the Vehicle Code citations, guys. Brian, 21654 has some relevance, but does not require traffic to drive in the right-hand lane if, as you are indicating, you are keeping up with traffic. For example, on any freeway with zero traffic it is entirely lawful to drive in the number one lane at the speed limit. Hence the "Slow Traffic Keep Right" admonition posted on our freeways. However, in other states drivers on highways with zero traffic must stay in the right-hand lane except to pass. Their signs read, "Keep Right Except to Pass." Therein lies the difference. I have driven all over California in my 61 years and frequently will drive in the left-hand lanes when there is no traffic--it makes it easier to pass convoys of semis. I always yield to another driver going faster than I. I also yield to those boys in their black-and-white cars when they come zooming up. Never received a citation for driving 72 in a 70 in the left hand lane in 45 years.

And, bhzmark, Section 21650 is for two-or-three-lane roads. It does not apply to divided highways or freeways.