Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to buy a cpo from Canada and have it shipped to the states? Would you qualify for any tax credits?

CPOs would not have any U.S. Federal tax rebates. State tax credits would only apply if they are offered on used cars. In general Canada -> US isn't a problem (the other way is highly recommended against). That said, I would talk with a Canada Tesla store to see if they would do it direct. In all likelihood, they won't do the shipping for you, but will let you pick it up in Canada and handle the import yourself.

Makes sense with Federal since the car isn't new, regardless of being new in the country I guess. In any case, this looks like an amazing deal with the CAD to USD conversion.

http://www.teslamotors.com//en_CA/models/preowned/p08819

$76,400 CAD -> $62,086.06

I might give the store a call tomorrow to get some more details. I wonder how taxes would come out when you try and register the car.

It's not a holiday in Canada if you mean you are going to call the Canadian store....

I just called and the representative said the car will need to be serviced in Canada if you do make the purchase and have it shipped to the USA. He kept claiming it is about how the car are built for each market and will make the logistics complex if you do decide to get it imported. Import cost should be minimal for cars. I guess you will be making trips to Canada just to get it checked up. LOL. Required RoadTrip Every year! LOL

According to this website:
Import duty taxes calculation result

Import duties and taxes due to custom is around $200-$300 for the car you want. I don't know about the taxes here in the US. I suspect each state will want their cut of the taxes when you registered it here in the USA.

This is definitely a deal considering the Canada Tesla's battery will probably be in better shape because of the cold climate. But I think the servicing might be an issue. If the representative is telling the truth where you cannot get servicing by your local Tesla Store, then it might not be worth the cost. Moreover, I don't know how the tesla support would be if you get stranded here in the USA and call them for a pickup. I suspect they will help you out regardless, but it's still a questionable thing.

It might be worth the risk, but to me 62K USD is still a hefty change to risk it. And don't forget the conversion rate fee. You will need to convert that which can be hefty for 62K USD to 76K CAN. I think credit cards want 2-3%. Currency Exchange might charger lower. So overall, without taxes in the state of registration, you are looking at around 65K USD. Once all said and done, it's comparable to some of the early deals here in the USA when CPO was new. I'll pass on this. I am looking for a S85D anyways. Best of luck! This tesla has everything I want save for the AWD.

So this is interesting - I've been emailing with a "Gallery Advisor" (he emailed me because I went in to a showroom about a year ago to test drive a MS). I told him I was interested in the CPO program, and he said I could meet with him to inspect and test drive any CPO cars that are listed at my location. Perhaps I am off - but I was thinking that they kind of kept these cars on lockdown until a deposit was placed on them.

....he said I could meet with him to inspect and test drive any CPO cars that are listed at my location. Perhaps I am off - but I was thinking that they kind of kept these cars on lockdown until a deposit was placed on them.

I think you can inspect and test drive. It is just they are in whatever condition they were when traded in. Without a CPO reservation number and deposit, Tesla does not start the inspection and reconditioning process that CPO vehicles undergo in preparation for delivery.

I think you can inspect and test drive. It is just they are in whatever condition they were when traded in. Without a CPO reservation number and deposit, Tesla does not start the inspection and reconditioning process that CPO vehicles undergo in preparation for delivery.

This is essentially my understanding as well, though mine is slightly different. They inspect the car and do major things, but reconditioning and minor things are not done until the car is on deposit. For instance, a faulty door handle might be replaced early in the process, but the personal effects of the previous owner might not be removed until the car is being prepped for delivery.

What I meant is that it seemed with how hard it was for people to get the CS to take mere cell phone pictures of the car they just paid $1,000 to reserve, there was no way in hell you would actually get a chance to personally inspect and test drive a CPO MS before putting down the deposit. I realize now - that was a bad generalization on my part!

What I meant is that it seemed with how hard it was for people to get the CS to take mere cell phone pictures of the car they just paid $1,000 to reserve, there was no way in hell you would actually get a chance to personally inspect and test drive a CPO MS before putting down the deposit. I realize now - that was a bad generalization on my part!

I think if you walked up on the site/center where the CPO car is parked, and said "I'd like to look at the car I made a deposit on", there would be no problem. I believe the challenge is with the cell phone pictures, since if they offered that, they would have to do it 200 times, and they would have to verify the took pics of the right car and are sending them to the right person who has legitimate interest in that specific vehicle, and it would tie up a lot of people .

Had a good discussion with Canadian rep today regarding the "thin" (my words) selection in CPO.
The conversation pretty quickly went to the value of new 70D compared to used 85's at the same price.
Looks like I will be waiting for the X deliveries to begin to see some more action on CPO.

I think if you walked up on the site/center where the CPO car is parked, and said "I'd like to look at the car I made a deposit on", there would be no problem. I believe the challenge is with the cell phone pictures, since if they offered that, they would have to do it 200 times, and they would have to verify the took pics of the right car and are sending them to the right person who has legitimate interest in that specific vehicle, and it would tie up a lot of people .

Yeah - I would totally agree with that.

Had a good discussion with Canadian rep today regarding the "thin" (my words) selection in CPO.
The conversation pretty quickly went to the value of new 70D compared to used 85's at the same price.
Looks like I will be waiting for the X deliveries to begin to see some more action on CPO.

I was thinking the same thing. That juicy P85 @ $76k is gone though.

I just called and the representative said the car will need to be serviced in Canada if you do make the purchase and have it shipped to the USA. He kept claiming it is about how the car are built for each market and will make the logistics complex if you do decide to get it imported. Import cost should be minimal for cars. I guess you will be making trips to Canada just to get it checked up. LOL.
So if a Tesla-owning resident of Canada moves to the US, they have to return to Canada for servicing?? Isn't it normal for North Americans to keep their cars when they move? How is a cross-border purchase of a CPO car any different?

So if a Tesla-owning resident of Canada moves to the US, they have to return to Canada for servicing?? Isn't it normal for North Americans to keep their cars when they move? How is a cross-border purchase of a CPO car any different?

Not in this thread, but others have had no problems Canadian Teslas into the US. However, the other way around has been difficult. I couldn't tell you the details, but there are threads on it.

One would think they would allow it, but that's what the tesla representative told me. Again take it with a grain of salt. My speculation is the tesla here will service you regardless just to keep the superior customer support. However that being said, if there was something major or related to the build of the Canadian cars that is specific only to Canada, then you will surely have to pay out of pocket to get the parts shipped or worst ship the car up there to get if fixed and shipped back down.