Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Minivan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect Tesla reads the tea leaves as a firm rejection of the miniVan concept in favor of the SUV, as least in the USA. No self-respecting status-conscious Mom I know would be caught dead driving a miniVan or a station wagon, including my wife. I think that is silly but it's the way it is and has been since the SUV craze began around 1999, just after we bought a Dodge Caravan. Honda made a valiant effort to overcome this with their "Touring Edition" Odyssey, but I don't think it was very successful.

I guarantee this will never happen. Elon stated that when you buy a minivan you "sell your soul". He hates minivans. As long as hes with the company, no minivan will be made, and I'm glad for that. It wouldn't make Tesla look good.

I bought a Honda Odyssey once. I no longer have it, thankfully. Elon's quote stirs a note in my heart for sure. It's hard to "regain" one's soul, but I never treated the Odyssey as mine. FWIW, I'm famous at the dealership, I drove that minivan very hard in the test drive, and tried my best to get it to roll. Since it did not roll, I paid for it, but it was never mine.

I heard a rumor that the Model X will have laser tracking of road debris and automatically reports the vehicle responsible for such debris to the authorities, after taking a video image and disintegrating the debris.

[WIKI][/WIKI]
I guarantee this will never happen. Elon stated that when you buy a minivan you "sell your soul". He hates minivans. As long as hes with the company, no minivan will be made, and I'm glad for that. It wouldn't make Tesla look good.

:rolleyes:

That is one thing that really makes me shake my head at Elon. I mean, he really is a genius in some ways, but dismissing minivans just because you don't like them is like - well, stupid really.
Minivans may not look great, but they are immensely practical. And economical. And great for families. Come to think of it, an affordable minivan EV with looks and usability like the VW Touran combined with Tesla kind of range and performance - now that would be a great combination. At least one that would sell like crazy over here. Thankfully I am waiting for Model E, not X, because that definitely wouldn't fit the bill for us in that respect.

Unfortunately, minivans simply don't sell that well after the SUV was introduced to the Market. Mercedes tried their hand with the R-Class but ended up having to discontinue it due to low sales.

I think Elons' goal would be for the Model X to fit the role of a minivan, while being in a SUV body (also the same goal as most automakers).

Unfortunately, minivans simply don't sell that well after the SUV was introduced to the Market. Mercedes tried their hand with the R-Class but ended up having to discontinue it due to low sales.

I think Elons' goal would be for the Model X to fit the role of a minivan, while being in a SUV body (also the same goal as most automakers).

Well the R-Class was an overpriced butt-ugly behemoth, no wonder it didn't sell. Oh wait, the Ford F-150 sells like crazy in the US... :wink:
(Granted, the F-150 may be a butt-ugly behemoth, but it certainly is good value for money).

Problem about the X is the Falcon Wing doors, which make it impossible to use a roofrack. Over here, the combination of minivan/roofrack is a very common sight, especially during any holiday season.

As a Honda Odyssey Touring owner I think those who say minivans don't sell well are misinformed. Any school or kid activity I attend has a parking lot that is about 1/2 minivans. And about 2/3 of those minivans are Odysseys. Granted, there are a large number of SUVs in the lot as well. From my perspective with small kids, they were more comfortable in a minivan they could walk around in than an SUV. Our Honda has been a great road trip car. It is so comfortable and practical that 12 - 15 hour vacation trips are a breeze (with the DVD player).

Once we got a camper to tow, the Odyssey started showing a little weakness. I would like to replace the Odyssey with a Model X to get us on all electric cars. So we will have to see if Elon delivers on his promise that the Model X will be able to tow. Since my kids are bigger now I don't think they would have an issue with the SUV/crossover vehicle. I would like the increased ground clearance (the Honda had issues on mountain dirt roads getting us to hiking trails). I also hope the X has a rear entertainment system. That has been key for us.

I am concerned about the falcon doors. I don't use a roof rack much, but for school pick up and drop off having a portion of the roof open during a rainstorm does not sound like a good idea to me. I'll wait and see what it is like when I can see one in person before making my decision though.

I know, I know, dragging up an old thread, but the Model X reveal really left me disappointed in Tesla. I am sure they have done their market research, and need ways to be able to sell a $130k SUV (or CUV?), but everything about it seems like a step in the wrong direction. I own and A8L and a Sienna minivan, and I am really starting to appreciate utilitarian vs gimmicks. The X seems to be a Model S with more gimmicks. The falcon doors are going to be terrible in rain and snow, and prevent any roof mounted cargo. And I am sure they will break out of warranty, and not seal well, etc. etc. It seems like they are solving a problem that doesn't exist. I love that during the demo, they parked a minivan right next to the X. I am sure they could have opened the sliding door on the Odyssey to get out a heck of a lot faster than waiting for the falcon doors! The self opening doors are a cheap magic trick that will only get in the way in the long run. In fact, I even hate the pop out door handles on the current S, and would love traditional ones!

Honestly, if you could sell me the Sienna with an electric drivetrain, I would buy it as is and be perfectly happy. There is a ton of room for batteries too!