Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is changing hearts and minds.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rifleman

Now owns 2 Model S's!!!
Nov 29, 2011
Harrison Ohio
As some of you may remember, the evening after my test drive at the LA get amped event, I posted a glowing review of the Model S on another forum. This particular forum is a firearms enthusiast forum, and is made up of people who generally hard right-wing politically, think global warming is a scam, hate the government loaning money to green companies, and have the EV tax credits. Most importantly, they love their ICE vehicles almost as much as they love their firearms (for the record, I fit in very well with this group, with the exception of the ICE vehicle part)

As you can imagine, my initial thread was met with lots of pretty vocal critics of Tesla, and of EV's in general. For those who read that thread, you know how heated it got at times. At that time, I would guess that maybee only 10% of the members of that forum were open to the idea of owning an EV.

What a difference a year makes.

In the past week, there have been 3-4 threads created by other users on that forum about the Model S. Now, instead of harsh criticism, the general attitude on this forum is of great interest in the vehicle. The numbers have changed from 90% thinking that only a left wing, tree hugging, Obama loving, gun grabbing Marxist would want a Model S, to 90% of the forum admitting that it is an awesome car, and that they would love to have one themselves.

By making an incredible product, Tesla has started to win over hearts and minds. If the group of people who frequent this gun forum can be convinced, anyone can. This whole electric car thing might end up being bigger than any of us realize.

No real point to this thread, I just though I would share with the crew here a small piece of anecdotal evidence that shows that we are making real progress.

Thanks Rifleman. I think you are onto something. Tesla had many hurdles to overcome, image-wise. Still does. But the product is pushing all that to the side. Reminds me of an interaction I had when the iPhone first came out. I was at a party and someone had one, so being very interested I went up to him and said, hey, lotta excitement about that Apple phone, huh? He just looked me dead in the eye and said matter of factly, "It's the best phone." He didn't argue the point, or hedge, he just knew it and stated it as fact. I think we are seeing the same thing with the Model S. No need to defend it, just say "It's the best car." :)

That's interesting to me, Rifleman. I consider myself to be a bit right of center politically but do find myself frustrated by the Sarah Palins constantly criticizing EVs for nothing more than ideological reasons. I bought my car based on its technological inventiveness but mainly on the huge savings in "fuel" costs I'll realize with it. The size and style suits me too. Environmental considerations were not really even on my radar, even though where I live we have a very green, low carbon electricity supply mix. (Some of that "greenness" is causing our electricity prices to skyrocket, but that's a whole other story!).

A fellow stopped by to look at the car in my driveway the other day and all he could talk about was "it's about time", conspiracies and oil companies are trying to block cars like these, it's important for the environment and on and on like that. I was a bit taken aback that he was more interested in the "politics" of the car than the car itself, because that's not at all how I see the car.

I guess what's cool is that Tesla can market to the car enthusiasts and the "greenies" or to those in the middle that may just want to deal with a bit of environmental guilt.

There is, sadly, a lot of knee-jerk, ideologically-based opposition to EVs (and Tesla) from many on the political right. As more Model S vehicles are on the road, I think this opposition will start to weaken over time. There are a certain percentage of people on the right who will continue to believe whatever Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh say, regardless of the facts, but there is also a percentage of conservatives who can be swayed by facts and evidence about the non-environmental benefits of EVs. Even here in Parker, CO (which is a very "red" city) I have been getting a lot of positive feedback and reactions during my "Tesla Time", since I picked up my Red P85 last Friday. A test-ride and answering some questions works wonders!

I don't tend to affiliate with anyone's camp. I pick my sides issue by issue. Most politicians have at least one thing to say that I agree with. (Well, maybe not Palin). Politics aside, the Model S is a winner on many levels. Tesla has taken the crutch away from the arguments that so many other people and companies have used for decades. People were saying "this is not possible, and that is not possible". These guys (Tesla) just went out there and did it! So now, everybody that sees the Model S KNOWS what's possible. The remaining question is: "How long until the other automakers step up their game"? Bravo Tesla.

This is a great thread! I have my white 85 and the first thing I did was install my NRA LIFE MEMBER shield on the rear, near the 85 applique. The re, blue and gold looks great on the multi-white! EVERYONE comments on the car and many also about the shield, and it opens up a second thread to conversation (though I prefer talking about the MS over the NRA and guns). Some people think it's a contradiction to put an NRA shield on a Tesla, but I don''t agree, since I believe smart decisions are not mutually exclusive.....ever! :biggrin:

Rifleman, what is the gun website you follow? You can PM if you don't want to post it here.

As some of you may remember, the evening after my test drive at the LA get amped event, I posted a glowing review of the Model S on another forum. This particular forum is a firearms enthusiast forum, and is made up of people who generally hard right-wing politically, think global warming is a scam, hate the government loaning money to green companies, and have the EV tax credits. Most importantly, they love their ICE vehicles almost as much as they love their firearms (for the record, I fit in very well with this group, with the exception of the ICE vehicle part)

As you can imagine, my initial thread was met with lots of pretty vocal critics of Tesla, and of EV's in general. For those who read that thread, you know how heated it got at times. At that time, I would guess that maybee only 10% of the members of that forum were open to the idea of owning an EV.

What a difference a year makes.

In the past week, there have been 3-4 threads created by other users on that forum about the Model S. Now, instead of harsh criticism, the general attitude on this forum is of great interest in the vehicle. The numbers have changed from 90% thinking that only a left wing, tree hugging, Obama loving, gun grabbing Marxist would want a Model S, to 90% of the forum admitting that it is an awesome car, and that they would love to have one themselves.

By making an incredible product, Tesla has started to win over hearts and minds. If the group of people who frequent this gun forum can be convinced, anyone can. This whole electric car thing might end up being bigger than any of us realize.

No real point to this thread, I just though I would share with the crew here a small piece of anecdotal evidence that shows that we are making real progress.

I remember that thread you created. I recall trying to post there to help out, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Where are these threads where they were anti-EV turned pro-Tesla?

It was a website for gun owners. I don't remember the exact site, but I recall discussing it with Rifleman here after trying to comment on the thread and then finding out it was Rifleman, lol.

This is great. Tesla, doing what the president can't, bringing the right and left together. LOL!
I'm also somewhat of an anomaly. I'm a gun enthusiast who is (not afraid to say it) also a liberal.
Hawaii, it is safe to say, is fairly pro-Obama. Despite that, when I go to the public range here, I hear (and see) a lot of anti-Obama vitriol.
If Tesla can really win the hearts and minds of the WHOLE customer base, it has a bright future indeed.
As much as I enjoyed it, I beg you Elon, no more political barbs to political candidates.

Just in case I was unclear, I am also quite liberal. I live in a deep red city and county, but the amazing qualities of the Tesla Model S seem to transcend the standard Fox News, anti-EV talking points here, at least for people who see it and ride in it. Go Tesla!

Rifleman - I started a thread a few weeks ago that approached this from a different angle.

Go to a Tesla Store - Something Big is Happening

Yes, there will be many who dip deep into politics, but I think more connect on more visceral levels. It's an American success story, technology and manufacturing leading the world, and international group of entrepreneurs coming together in the US to produce the best car in the world. What's not to love about that!

all right, I'll take the bait.

Today's right and left are not yesterday's right and left.

Today's are a fabrication of those paid to drive a wedge between people then make sure their pile of people (voters) is bigger than the other guy's pile.

I believe we would all do better as people to drop the labels and talk to each other.

For the record-
I own suppressed machine guns
I own a MS
I own a Zero
I am a fiscal conservative
I will not let my fellow man suffer next to me
I believe in the sanctity of life but will not tell another how to make their choices or live their lives
I will find common ground with just about anyone I speak with. We are both people and passion comes from caring.

Lastly, I am a dinosaur from the Perry Mason era and really do not understand how "whocanIsue.com" can gain traction.

In this theme, one of my MOST satisfying rides given to friends and family was to my wife's 86 and 87-year-old parents a couple of weeks ago. They watch only Fox News, have Sarah Palin's and Mike Huckabee's books on the shelf, and were deeply afraid that the world as they have known it would end with Obama's election. Let's just say my wife and I are on the other end of the ideological spectrum.

Our parents absolutely LOVED the car! They loved the elegant design, the practicality of so much capacity, the silent and smooth ride. My wife's Mom has been on oxygen 24/7 for years, and had not wanted to venture out of the house for more than errands or a quick lunch. But we found ourselves driving 50 miles through the WA state backcountry around their home, with no hurry at all to get home.

It was a glorious day in our family, and one of the best we have ever spent together.

IMG_2646.JPG

In this theme, one of my MOST satisfying rides given to friends and family was to my wife's 86 and 87-year-old parents a couple of weeks ago. They watch only Fox News, have Sarah Palin's and Mike Huckabee's books on the shelf, and were deeply afraid that the world as they have known it would end with Obama's election. Let's just say my wife and I are on the other end of the ideological spectrum.

Our parents absolutely LOVED the car! They loved the elegant design, the practicality of so much capacity, the silent and smooth ride. My wife's Mom has been on oxygen 24/7 for years, and had not wanted to venture out of the house for more than errands or a quick lunch. But we found ourselves driving 50 miles through the WA state backcountry around their home, with no hurry at all to get home.

It was a glorious day in our family, and one of the best we have ever spent together.

View attachment 21648

Best Model S photo and story ever.

all right, I'll take the bait.

Today's right and left are not yesterday's right and left.

Today's are a fabrication of those paid to drive a wedge between people then make sure their pile of people (voters) is bigger than the other guy's pile.

I believe we would all do better as people to drop the labels and talk to each other.

For the record-
I own suppressed machine guns
I own a MS
I own a Zero
I am a fiscal conservative
I will not let my fellow man suffer next to me
I believe in the sanctity of life but will not tell another how to make their choices or live their lives
I will find common ground with just about anyone I speak with. We are both people and passion comes from caring.

Lastly, I am a dinosaur from the Perry Mason era and really do not understand how "whocanIsue.com" can gain traction.

Sounds like we are alot alike (well, I am more into C&R guns, but one of these days I will break down and go class three)