Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got an unsolicited call from Naomi Takeuchi to thank me for my patience and that they believe that Australian deliveries will occur in Fall next year, that's Autumn in Australia or between April and June 2014. No other news other than reservation holders will be receiving pricing information via e-mail when its available, probably only a month or so before we have to finalize.

Just got an unsolicited call from Naomi Takeuchi to thank me for my patience and that they believe that Australian deliveries will occur in Fall next year, that's Autumn in Australia or between April and June 2014. No other news other than reservation holders will be receiving pricing information via e-mail when its available, probably only a month or so before we have to finalize.
is that fall Australia or fall Northern hemisphere? I am getting discouraged because we don't have an in country sales person or even the hint of a store. The UK and HK people have stores and have been phoned with spring, Northern hemisphere as an arrival time.

is that fall Australia or fall Northern hemisphere? I am getting discouraged because we don't have an in country sales person or even the hint of a store. The UK and HK people have stores and have been phoned with spring, Northern hemisphere as an arrival time.
I asked the same thing when she called, she confirmed Fall\Autumn Australia which is March to May 2014 but then she said April to June, so that's late Fall\Autumn. :frown:

Thanks for the update, maybe the email I sent them 2 weeks ago about communicating with Australian reservation holders actually made a difference.

Speaking of which, Naomi has organised a factory tour for me in November. If any of you will be in the Bay Area between now and delivery, I'd highly suggest you ask about it as reservation holders are welcome.

Thanks for the update, maybe the email I sent them 2 weeks ago about communicating with Australian reservation holders actually made a difference.

Speaking of which, Naomi has organised a factory tour for me in November. If any of you will be in the Bay Area between now and delivery, I'd highly suggest you ask about it as reservation holders are welcome.

hmm, I will be in San Fran between 17-20 September, hopefully I could get onto a Factory tour. (as a sig res holder, it'd be disappointing not to)

Amazing, - NO promotion here, no sales person, and yet people are still reserving!?! Out of interest, Matt, where did you hear about Tesla, and what made you reserve? When I reserved, i at least got a test drive in the roadster and there was obviously a sales person on staff.

Indeed, I know 30 reservations (I assume much less than 200 total in Australia) in the grand scheme of things is only a small drop in the ocean for Tesla - even more so with them ramping up production to 20,000+ a year - but imagine how many more they would get if they actually put in a little marketing effort here...

As for me, I've known about Tesla since they first brought out the Roadster, I can't remember exactly where or when - only that I've always wanted one but could not afford one.

After working hard building a successful business I'm now in the position where I can, except the Roadster isn't for sale anymore.
I was tempted to buy Mr Hackett's when it was for sale a few weeks ago, but started reading reviews and seeing videos of the Model S and it was something about the combination of performance, range, and hi-tech that changed my mind.. :)

- Matt

I also got a call from Naomi on Friday - it seems like the emails complaining about no contact and no new information got the message through. I'm waiting nervously to see what the pricing ends up like here - the dollar is still heading downward.
The good part though is that our cars should have been thoroughly beta tested by the time we get them.

I was pleased to see the option for 19" turbine wheels - I'm not sure how well the 21s would go on Sydney's potholes! Pity that the handling pack is only available with the performance version and with 21s.

Hi Everybody,

I am 27, from Sydney and wish to buy Model S in 2014.

I am currently reading through this thread and will probably find the answers to my questions, but I ask them anyway :

Price : I read somewhere between 100 to 200k ? is that somewhat accurate since at current exchange prices range from 70 to $129 k AUD.

Reservations: Can upgrade from a 6k deposit to a signature one or the decision or am I locked in ? What will be the wait time if decide to wait for Autumn 2014? What is the wait time currently in the US?

Financing : Do you know of any financing program to be run by Tesla in Australia?

I will come back with more and meanwhile I will read this thread thoroughly !

Thank you in Advance.

Cheers,

Mr A

Tesla in Australia?

Thanks spentan & MDK. My Tesla fund is with a US broker so I might see if I can wire direct from them, although that will take some days to sort out, hence my preference to use a card while I do so. I will wait until I am back.

I believe you can change your reservation probably until they fill the Signature list just paying the difference. I am not yet convinced it's of much benefit.

Pricing is unknown and of concern to some of us.

Price : I read somewhere between 100 to 200k ? is that somewhat accurate since at current exchange prices range from 70 to $129 k AUD.

At current exchange rates, plus shipping costs, that would be about right (100k to 200k AUD). Not sure about Australian tax and other government fees though.

Reservations: Can upgrade from a 6k deposit to a signature one or the decision or am I locked in ? What will be the wait time if decide to wait for Autumn 2014? What is the wait time currently in the US?

You have some leeway to change your mind before 2014, you just need to contact Tesla. However, decisions made will begin to be locked in once RHD production starts.
Wait time in the US ranges from 2 weeks to 3 months depending on when you placed the order and your configuration. Most people get their cars within 2 months.

Financing : Do you know of any financing program to be run by Tesla in Australia?

Not at this time. The first batch of cars in the first few months of deliveries will probably not have any Tesla-backed financing anyway.

I will come back with more and meanwhile I will read this thread thoroughly !

Thank you in Advance.

Cheers,

Mr A

Replied in the quote in blue