Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

Hope everyone is well and keeping dry & warm with this weather.

What did everyone think of the Battery Swap Demo last week? - impressive to turn two cars around in the same time it takes to fill a 100ltr tank - still, supercharges are still the way to go - have used a number of them now, I can stop, plug in, order a coffee and a bite, take a toilet break, finish my food and return the Model S with an almost full pack and nearly 500kms - that will do me just fine ;-)....

Early July meet up sounds good to me - look forward to it

Regards
Jmac
Getting out of this for a week fishing the Northern Territory. Ah, 32 degree heat!! Impressive demo, but i could not see myself using it. With 450km range, supercharging and the break you get while doing it is almost mandatory for safety.

I agree Dborn, very impressive to see battery swapping being done so quickly, but I can't see myself ever using it. It also introduces other issues like getting your original battery back (given that you buy it when you buy the car) or whether Tesla eventually runs two systems one where you buy the battery and one where you lease a battery and swap batteries. I suspect the Supercharger concept is the way to go. And if battery range increases to 500+ miles as is muted, then I think battery swapping becomes even less relevant. Full marks to Tesla for putting this option on the table, but at $500k to build each battery swap system, I don't think it will ever pay its way.

We should maybe get as many people together for a coffee in Syd and in Melb and have a chat about some more details (wink) - and get any outcomes to the other members too AU/NZ.....and any reservation holders that are not online we can encourage to join.
JM

Would love to catch up - reservation holder and shareholder - patiently waiting and waiting - but looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Please count me in any time in July.
Glen

Hi JMac, (and others),

Was just wondering, as a Signature Reservation Holder, I'm actually flying to USA in late July/early August, and then late September/early October.

Is there any way I can get a rental Model S, or at least one for a whole day test drive or similar? If we go to a Factory store with proof of reservation, can we do any more than a casual bystander?

Also, in the September/October trip, I will actually be in San Francisco, I'd love to get a factory tour, considering that I wouldn't be able to do this on pickup?

Let us know :)

Hi JMac, (and others),

Was just wondering, as a Signature Reservation Holder, I'm actually flying to USA in late July/early August, and then late September/early October.

Is there any way I can get a rental Model S, or at least one for a whole day test drive or similar? If we go to a Factory store with proof of reservation, can we do any more than a casual bystander?

Also, in the September/October trip, I will actually be in San Francisco, I'd love to get a factory tour, considering that I wouldn't be able to do this on pickup?

Can't answer on the test drive, but a factory tour can probably be arranged by Naomi Takeuchi. She might even arrange test drive - no harm in asking. Fremont is quite a distance from San Fran, but served by a train ( still would need a cab to the factory)

They won't give you a factory tour but if you ask Naomi nicely, as a reservation holder, if they have a 'test drive' slot available somewhere (e.g. Santana Row) yes you can probably have a 15-20 minute test drive.
Suggest you email her ASAP because when I did this there was quite a leadtime / backlog of people wanting test drives and (at least at that point) very few cars available for test drive.
This was September last year.

Around Santana Row is good, you get a few runs on different types of roads, a few sweeping freeway entrance ways, a couple of straights onto the freeway and then opportunity to 'test' the epic instantaneous acceleration of 65mph-85mph testing how you may want to do overtaking maneuvers on the freeway.
You won't want to give the car back.

Make sure you're comfortable driving there, you do sign quite a disclaimer to have a test drive. :)

Can't answer on the test drive, but a factory tour can probably be arranged by Naomi Takeuchi. She might even arrange test drive - no harm in asking. Fremont is quite a distance from San Fran, but served by a train ( still would need a cab to the factory)

A hyperloop? lol j/k. I had spoken to Naomi a couple of months ago regarding a factory tour, but was denied the possibility.

They won't give you a factory tour but if you ask Naomi nicely, as a reservation holder, if they have a 'test drive' slot available somewhere (e.g. Santana Row) yes you can probably have a 15-20 minute test drive.
Suggest you email her ASAP because when I did this there was quite a leadtime / backlog of people wanting test drives and (at least at that point) very few cars available for test drive.
This was September last year.

Around Santana Row is good, you get a few runs on different types of roads, a few sweeping freeway entrance ways, a couple of straights onto the freeway and then opportunity to 'test' the epic instantaneous acceleration of 65mph-85mph testing how you may want to do overtaking maneuvers on the freeway.
You won't want to give the car back.

Make sure you're comfortable driving there, you do sign quite a disclaimer to have a test drive. :)

I am comfortable driving in USA, I've been there 3 times in the last 12 months, and always have rented a nice big 7 seater (last time had a suburban), as I am 6ft9in tall and 180kg.

We did San Fran - LA - Vegas back to LA all driving, as well as renting a camaro convertible in Vegas, which was lots of fun. :)

I wouldn't have thought that test drives were all that scarce, this time in USA I will be in Vegas for 12 nights (conference, and a bit of a punter), and will be in LA for 5 nights staying with family in Orange County, so the Newport Beach store will probably be the closest where I have a lot of time on my hands.

I'll email Naomi and report back with results. If anyone else has some ideas, let me know.

(I'm going San Francisco in my September trip, but the problem lies where I will be 1 month off being 25 years old, which means I won't be able to rent the Model S in San Fran at an hourly rate (I think it is available through one of those Peer-To-Peer Renting apps/sites))

Hello all... First post, but am reading all but every page on this board! Just thought I'd let you all know that Simon has his roadster for sale at the moment, in case anyone was thinking of buying one. Does anyone know what capacity battery he has in it? At close on 200k its way out of my range, but was curious nonetheless.

Hello all... First post, but am reading all but every page on this board! Just thought I'd let you all know that Simon has his roadster for sale at the moment, in case anyone was thinking of buying one. Does anyone know what capacity battery he has in it? At close on 200k its way out of my range, but was curious nonetheless.
All Roadsters have a 55Kwh battery and a range of between 300 & 350 Kms per charge when driven "normally". However with care you can get somewhat more range.

(I'm going San Francisco in my September trip, but the problem lies where I will be 1 month off being 25 years old, which means I won't be able to rent the Model S in San Fran at an hourly rate (I think it is available through one of those Peer-To-Peer Renting apps/sites))

the big long legal disclaimer you have to sign at a Tesla store may have had a clause in there about age.

I don't recall but its likely getting challenging given all the 'under 25' type rules of car rentals in north america.

I'll email Naomi and report back with results. If anyone else has some ideas, let me know.

what the peanut gallery here does or doesn't think is academic. what matters is what Tesla thinks.

i've told you what i believe is possible based on experience of doing exactly this.

Lets do coffee/lunch/dinner. Name the time and place. If in Melbourne, my brother and I would be happy to offer our company's boardroom and to cater.

Maybe we should invite someone from Tesla USA?!

A month from now, after July 20th sometime? If people are interested please email me on [email protected] as well as posting your responses on this forum. Welcome your thoughts. Thanks, Iain.

Hi Iain. I have sent you an email :)

Woo hoo! Hope she is correct!! Wish there was something more positive from up above, such as appointment of a local agent and some display cars.

It would be awesome to see some display cars (just one would be a great start!). Also, some concrete knowledge on Australian charging options (both home charging and supercharging) would be fantastic.

The average Aussie's awareness of Tesla is almost non-existent, so actually physically having something for the local journos to report on might do wonders, especially if there was an announcement of superchargers making it possible to drive from Brisbane to Sydney to Melbourne to Adelaide for free (or something like that anyway).

It would be awesome to see some display cars (just one would be a great start!). Also, some concrete knowledge on Australian charging options (both home charging and supercharging) would be fantastic.

It seems like the charging situation in Australia is confused. I would have assumed that the Model S would have the same Type 2 connector as in Europe, but it seems like the majority of existing charging stations in Australia are J1772? Do any of the existing EVs in Australia support 3 phase charging?

I hope we get European style chargers on Australian Teslas as the specs seem to promise Chademo adapters and single and 3 phase charging options. The only difference will be in the supply side plugs.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems like the charging situation in Australia is confused. I would have assumed that the Model S would have the same Type 2 connector as in Europe, but it seems like the majority of existing charging stations in Australia are J1772? Do any of the existing EVs in Australia support 3 phase charging?
Public charging in Australia is nearly non-existent and comprises mainly of Australian 240V 15Amp sockets plus a few Chademo stations. IMievs cost extra for the Chademo support and only Leaves support it standard. Chevrolet \Holden Volts have a J1772 inlet and I assume an Australian 240V 15Amp supply side plug.

I hope we get European style chargers on Australian Teslas as the specs seem to promise Chademo adapters and single and 3 phase charging options. The only difference will be in the supply side plugs.

- - - Updated - - -

Public charging in Australia is nearly non-existent and comprises mainly of Australian 240V 15Amp sockets plus a few Chademo stations. IMievs cost extra for the Chademo support and only Leaves support it standard. Chevrolet \Holden Volts have a J1772 inlet and I assume an Australian 240V 15Amp supply side plug.

ChargePoint (which is what we mostly have here in Northern California) seems to have a few public chargers (only 5 in Sydney, but 15 in Melbourne), but they seem to all be J1772. If Tesla goes with the Type 2 these wouldn't be usable, but if they go with the US spec than you wouldn't be able to do 3 phase charging. My guess is that they will eventually release a Chademo adaptor for the US plug as well (probably before the Model S comes to Australia anyway). I'm not sure how common 3 phase residential service is in Australia.

ChargePoint (which is what we mostly have here in Northern California) seems to have a few public chargers (only 5 in Sydney, but 15 in Melbourne), but they seem to all be J1772. If Tesla goes with the Type 2 these wouldn't be usable, but if they go with the US spec than you wouldn't be able to do 3 phase charging. My guess is that they will eventually release a Chademo adaptor for the US plug as well (probably before the Model S comes to Australia anyway). I'm not sure how common 3 phase residential service is in Australia.
I have 3 phase at home in Sydney, mainly because i have a large air conditioning ducted system. It so happens that I also have an elevator which also requires it. Overall, though, i would think only high-end houses would be so supplied. A standard 3 phase outlet supplies 400 volts at 32 amps. The plug and socket alone can set you back nearly $300 WITHOUT installation, which, of course, in this country, DEMANDS that a licensed person installs it. Probably another 5-600 in labour, maybe more. So, 12.8 kWh is possible - no need for the wall charger in the majority of cases with 3 phase. I do recall seeing the roadster plugged in with with a 3phase plug, but, of course, there is no reason why only a single phase could have been hooked up in there (I do that on my boat, since i draw around 18amps and our standard plugs only tolerate 15 amps - the 3phase plug has much heavier pins and tolerates the higher current draw easily).

- - - Updated - - -

We can only hope. It is amazing that with over $2 million of reservations paid that Tesla Motors Australia is so woefully failing at communication.
Interested - where did you get that figure? that would represent 330 plus reservations! More or less what Tesla announced for Hong Kong. Incidentally, since HK is a right hand drive country, how is it that they have test drive cars (albeit LHD'S) and we have not seen the whiff of one?

I have 3 phase here, I'd say it's 20-30% of houses built in the last 15 years, although much more common now. It's not massively expensive to get it retrofitted, excluding trenching costs.

I am frequently in Sydney or Melbourne (visited both this week from home base in Adelaide) and would like to attend a meet-up especially if there's some insight into what's really happening. I'll next be in San Jose early October (have turned down a couple of recent work trips there - it's head office for us) and was planning to see if I could get a factory tour, but it sounds like they're impossible to organise even if you hold a reservation?

Still haven't put in a reservation as there's still to many questions left dangling for me. I would happily put in one if it guaranteed a factory tour however.