Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has produced three models, each with radical technology, Model 3 also??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But though the SLS ED has four motors, they are not in the wheels:

View attachment 104417
This is the proper way to do it. Mounting the motor inside each wheel limits your motor placement/positioning options, and ensures that you got big heavies at the poles. Mount the motors inboard and you can mount them lower (lower CoG), and pull them slightly more between the axles for lower polar momentum.

Four motors independently driving each wheel sounds like a great solution for the Next Generation Roadster, which will presumably be built on the same platform. But for the initial Model 3, I'm looking for less novelty, at least in its base model. I know there's going to be something new because Elon's already said so. But I would love to just get a RWD, single motor sedan with nice styling and a really hefty battery-pack. That's honestly all that I need! Maybe a 3P80Q could be a top model or something. But I'm hoping for a lot less novelty, a great price and on-time delivery (the future wife's lease will be ending January '18, so I want to have it in hand by then).

For me, the two things that stand out about that car are: the car is capable of zero to 62 mph times of 2.8 seconds, and top speed is over 200 mph.

The Ludicrous P90D can match the times, but the car is limited to 155 MPH. I don't know what the differences are that let the Rimac hit those speeds (battery performance, motor performance, associated electronics, more motors), but it's a truly impressive looking vehicle.

For me, the two things that stand out about that car are: the car is capable of zero to 62 mph times of 2.8 seconds, and top speed is over 200 mph.

The Ludicrous P90D can match the times, but the car is limited to 155 MPH. I don't know what the differences are that let the Rimac hit those speeds (battery performance, motor performance, associated electronics, more motors), but it's a truly impressive looking vehicle.

I agree, and I got the feeling that they are copying Tesla's top secret plan, which is perfectly fine. You know, the one where they first build "a toy for rich people" and then use that development and money for more affordable car etc.

The Ludicrous P90D can match the times, but the car is limited to 155 MPH.
I don't know what the differences are that let the Rimac hit those speeds (battery performance, motor performance, associated electronics, more motors), but it's a truly impressive looking vehicle.

I agree, and I got the feeling that they are copying Tesla's top secret plan, which is perfectly fine.
You know, the one where they first build "a toy for rich people" and then use that development and money for more affordable car etc.

Take a look at the Porsche 918 Hybrid ... they are serious about PHEV performance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_918

In Car and Driver's independent test of the Porsche 918, C/D achieved 0-60 mph in 2.2 seconds (making it the fastest car C/D has ever tested), 0-100 mph in 4.9 seconds, 0-180 mph in 17.5 seconds, and the 1/4 mile in 9.8 seconds.

The Porsche 918 Spyder is a mid-engined plug-in hybrid sports car designed by Porsche. The Spyder is powered by a naturally-aspirated 4.6 litre V8 engine, developing 608 horsepower (453 kW), with two electric motors delivering an additional 279 horsepower (208 kW) for a combined output of 887 horsepower (661 kW). The car has a top speed of around 340 km/h (210 mph).

1280px-Porsche_918_Spyder_IAA_2013.jpg

Take a look at the Porsche 918 Hybrid ... they are serious about PHEV performance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_918
That car has the TWO electric motors for instant torque to all four wheels, but it also has a V8 to push acceleration like we'd expect from Porsche.

Beautiful car, but at close to a million bucks, very pricey. Most of us can only dream...

But WOW! Did I mention it's a beautiful car??!!!

I have seen a few 918's up close, never sat in one, obviously no expert though have owned a few Porsche models. The 918 is powered by an enormous ICE. The electric motors are there to boost acceleration even further and provide the instant torque that the ICE cannot. The motors are also a nod toward the trend in Europe for city centers to ban ICE vehicles, as the 918 can run in pure EV mode for about 15 miles.
Porsche has a long way to go to get to real world BEVs. The Mission E is years away from production, if it makes it that far. In the meantime Tesla will forge ahead, improving their already incredible vehicles while building out battery production capacity. I see Porsche as being relegated to even more of a niche player than they already are.
The ICE age is coming to an end and some automotive giants are going to have a very hard time adapting to the new reality.

I agree that the days of ICE are numbered, BUT:

Cheap gas (in the US at least) pushes it farther out that most would think.
Average commute distance in the was 12.X miles one way. This means half of the country is more than that, and figure a half of that half commute longer (RT) than the range of a Leaf.
Vehicle charging stations are not common enough nor numerous enough to support large numbers of BEVs. My office has 2 (that holds maybe 400+ people) that are not free.
You can buy a new ICE today that gets decent MPG (3p combined) for less than 13K (Nissan Versa). If you drive 300 miles per week, that is 1,200/year in gas. Yeah it will require some maintenance, but odds are it will go 5 years needing nothing more than oil changes. The fact that it *might* cost more than a Leaf over time is irrelevant, what matters to many is what the payments are.
Even if the only issue were charging stations at your place of residence, how much of a barrier is that for apartment dwellers? Or people who can just afford the cars but not the expense of having the additional outlet installed in their home? And charging at home is the easiest problem to solve; charging at work may never happen for many any time soon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in for my daily commute vehicles (and waiting for the M3 launch like everyone else). However, I suspect that Chevy S1500 I use to tow my boat, plus the boat itself will continue to be ICE for at least 10 years. Neither of those vehicles has an BEV replacement on the horizon anytime soon, and even if they did what would the cost be like? I bought that Silverado (2000) for 3K used, and don't use it to commute.

I have seen a few 918's up close, never sat in one, obviously no expert though have owned a few Porsche models. The 918 is powered by an enormous ICE. The electric motors are there to boost acceleration even further and provide the instant torque that the ICE cannot. The motors are also a nod toward the trend in Europe for city centers to ban ICE vehicles, as the 918 can run in pure EV mode for about 15 miles.
Porsche has a long way to go to get to real world BEVs. The Mission E is years away from production, if it makes it that far. In the meantime Tesla will forge ahead, improving their already incredible vehicles while building out battery production capacity. I see Porsche as being relegated to even more of a niche player than they already are.
The ICE age is coming to an end and some automotive giants are going to have a very hard time adapting to the new reality.