Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Frunk mat doesn't fit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the Fremont service center today picking up some stuff after my tour and this came up. For some reason (unspecified) they needed to relocate the DC-DC converter from its previous location (I think he said front right of the car) to just behind the glove box. This reduced the size of the frunk "considerably." I don't have an older car to compare to so I can't say how big the change really was. He didn't expect an updated frunk mat to be available until January.

On the earlier cars its under the right side trim panel just in front of the windshield (behind the frunk). If you look at where the washer fluid filler is on the left, it's about at that same position on the right side. Interested to know why they made the change. Maybe it's a step towards the AWD release?

On the earlier cars its under the right side trim panel just in front of the windshield (behind the frunk). If you look at where the washer fluid filler is on the left, it's about at that same position on the right side. Interested to know why they made the change. Maybe it's a step towards the AWD release?

Either that or it makes it safer for first responders. With the original set up they had to be careful not to cut completely through the A-pillar. This sounds as if that restriction is removed. Anyone know for sure?

Either that or it makes it safer for first responders. With the original set up they had to be careful not to cut completely through the A-pillar. This sounds as if that restriction is removed. Anyone know for sure?

That was my thought as well. I always found it odd that it was in the place it was when I watched that first responder video. This will make the car safer for first responders for sure.

Too dark for a picture, but I measured this morning. Looks like we lost about 2" of depth.

Credit to SCW-Greg for this image, for reference, which show the original dimensions:
IMG_1588m.jpg

The depth measurement is now about 37" (down from 39"). Everything else is the same.

Also note the back wall of the frunk is very cheap-looking smooth/shiny plastic instead of carpet like everything else in the frunk. I don't know if that was a change or not, but it surprised me a bit. I've only had the car a few days, but it's the first part I've found that looks "bargain basement." Fortunately you can't really see it unless you bend down.

Last edited:
The back wall of my frunk is partially spray painted plastic. Looks rather unfinished. Only part of the car like that. I'm a tad bit embarrassed when showing off the frunk, but no one has ever said anything about it.

One of these days I might mask off everything around it and spray it with some Plastidip. Or not. I hardly ever use the frunk.

I never understood why they put a pretty pointless "cave" in the back of the frunk, and installed a critical high voltage component under the wheel arch with minimal protection! The space taken by the cave is very well protected and reasonably accessible for servicing. Glad they have moved the DC converter now, it looked like a bit of an Achilles heel in the first responder video.

I didn't use the frunk much early on, but as time has gone by I find I use it more and more. I have a two car attached garage. I park facing nose first. The frunk is perfect for groceries and shopping items. Pop it open when I get home and everything is two steps from the door to the house. Very convenient :) Sure beats getting everything outta the trunk! …and it keeps the ice cream etc. cold in the fall/winter.

I never understood why they put a pretty pointless "cave" in the back of the frunk, and installed a critical high voltage component under the wheel arch with minimal protection! The space taken by the cave is very well protected and reasonably accessible for servicing. Glad they have moved the DC converter now, it looked like a bit of an Achilles heel in the first responder video.

In one of Tesla's videos (I can't remember which one) either Elon of one of the other VPs said that little cubby was originally designed to hold more batteries because they weren't sure if they were going to be able to fit all the 85kw batteries in the main battery pack. But after the final stages of production they didn't need it anymore and it just became more empty space in the frunk.

The organizer box fits snugly in there, odd that Tesla doesn't have a note about that on the shop web page.

The organizer box "barely" fits.

photo.JPG

I'm not real happy that I paid $125 for a custom case that was supposed to fit in the microwave area. Not only does it not fit, it slides right out when I brake, so now I need to buy the net too.

I'm also a bit disappointed at the unfinished bare plastic walls of the microwave area. It feels super cheap. Even the cheapest car I've ever own(Fiat 131) did not have bare plastic surfaces like that.

the frunk box should have small hooks that you can hook to the four plastic knobs to avoid having it come sliding out during driving.. really no reason a Tesla frunk box should also require a cargo net

The organizer box "barely" fits.

View attachment 37019

I'm not real happy that I paid $125 for a custom case that was supposed to fit in the microwave area. Not only does it not fit, it slides right out when I brake, so now I need to buy the net too.

I'm also a bit disappointed at the unfinished bare plastic walls of the microwave area. It feels super cheap. Even the cheapest car I've ever own(Fiat 131) did not have bare plastic surfaces like that.

It looks like you have the old storage box with the new frunk. You need the newly designed box. There are a few ppl here looking for the old box; you should list it for sale.

It looks like you have the old storage box with the new frunk. You need the newly designed box. There are a few ppl here looking for the old box; you should list it for sale.

I noticed a credit one my card for $125 from Tesla a few days ago after I sent an email with the picture asking about a new version that fit better to [email protected]. I was a little surprised to see the credit, since they did not reply to my email, but happy to receive it.

I figure they will recharge me when the new one is available. If they don't ask for the old one back, I'll give it to someone locally with an "old" frunk (probably at a SD Tesla club meeting)