Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Frunk mat doesn't fit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014 frunk microwave area shorter?

Hi all,

I just took delivery of a 2014 P85+ to replace the 2013 that got totaled over Christmas (gonna make a separate post about that later, when all the pics are done).

I tried to put my all-weather mats from the old car into the new one. All was fine, until the frunk.

The frunk mat didn't fit! The microwave space appears to be shorter than my old car, by about 3 or 4 inches.

Never saw anything posted about this before, so I'm not sure whether it's a well known thing. Searching here didn't turn anything up, but then my search-fu is ... perhaps suboptimal. ;)

Any ideas what changed? Is there something larger up front taking up more space?

I'm gonna head to the service center later today, and see if I can get a swap for the new dimension mat perhaps. Otherwise I'll probably just buy a new one that fits. They are great mats, and protected the interior of the old car very well so I'd say it's worthwhile.

Yes, they changed the front-back dimensions of the Frunk last fall. I picked up my car in late December and when we went to put a Frunk mat in the car at the local SC, it didn't fit.

see: Shop Tesla Gear All-Weather Model S Front Trunk Mat

To quote: "Model S with VIN<21270 require a different front trunk mat. Please contact [email protected] for more information."

I was on the waiting list for this, received an email last week that they now had the new ones in stock. Haven't ordered yet. Might ask ownership or your local SC whether you can swap them out and/or get partial credit.

Why not just cut your own frunk mat from a roll of door-mat carpeting found at your local hardware store. There's a few choices of rubberized backing types of carpet... or just straight up black vinyl types of things.. Make a paper template first if you need to. I've done this for a few cars.

Ultra cheap, and effective.

Anyone like the rear all weather matts? Thinking that may not fold back properly when accessing the rear bottom cargo space. Thanks in advance.

It sounds like you're talking about the trunk mats, not the rear mats. (The rear mats would be the ones for the passengers that sit in the back seats.) You're correct that the trunk mat inhibits access to the cargo space. But it's not that hard to just hold it up and access the space if you need to.

Anyone like the rear all weather matts? Thinking that may not fold back properly when accessing the rear bottom cargo space. Thanks in advance.

I have the all weather mat in trunk, and it easily flips out of way to access the cargo space. For very quick access, I keep the tab on the cargo lid facing out and just grab that one-handed, and trunk mat bends above the lid without need for extra work.