Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla for teenager?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a soon to be freshman in college and two sophomores who will be driving this year. The younger two will share the same car. We will need to buy at least one new car in the next several months.

I’ve given some thought to buying my two youngest a used Model 3 to share. I’d buy used and get the cheapest version I can find in decent condition. We have two home chargers, so no issue there. Is this a good idea or am I asking for trouble? Appreciate your opinions!

Have they had their own cars previously?

While these kids may be a little older, may kids have been known to make at least their first car "disposable" That also suggests that insurance is going to be expensive.

Instead of being the gift horse, why not make them want to work hard to make a living and be able to afford their own car? If you want then to go green, then used Leafs and Bolts are great options.

But if you want to make sure that they never work for anything in their life, start them out at the top.

Also remember that a Tesla is one of the easiest to get in trouble in cars that exist.

I have two Teslas now. My Mom and Dad started me with a Honda CVSS, not much more than a roller skate. I knew that if I wanted more that I'd have to work for it.

We have a soon to be freshman in college and two sophomores who will be driving this year. The younger two will share the same car. We will need to buy at least one new car in the next several months.

I’ve given some thought to buying my two youngest a used Model 3 to share. I’d buy used and get the cheapest version I can find in decent condition. We have two home chargers, so no issue there. Is this a good idea or am I asking for trouble? Appreciate your opinions!

I dont understand the question or the root of the question. You already have at least one (likely more) Tesla or EV, since you have two home chargers. You know what the EV lifestyle is. Since thats the case, this is no different than making a decision on buying them any other car with these perfrormance specs.

Reactions: afadeev
My two sons drive our 3. I made the decision to let them drive it based on the decisions they made up to becoming of driving age.

No issue that I can see. Car has 4 wheels and is pretty safe.

I am sure someone will say it's too fast, and kids should be driving a cheap tank of a car. I don't subscribe to those thoughts. Just because I had that doesn't mean I have to parent the same way.

My two sons drive our 3. I made the decision to let them drive it based on the decisions they made up to becoming of driving age.

No issue that I can see. Car has 4 wheels and is pretty safe.

I am sure someone will say it's too fast, and kids should be driving a cheap tank of a car. I don't subscribe to those thoughts. Just because I had that doesn't mean I have to parent the same way.

Thats kind of what I ment when I said I didnt understand the question. This is a car just like any other one, once you get past how you fuel it, so any decisions need to be made as if this was any other car at the pricepoint considered.

Specifically for "is this a suitable car for a young driver?" the answer is "Depends on the driver" (their temperment, driving ability, etc). Thats not a "Car" thing though, but a person thing.

Potential concerns of mine I was hoping folks might weigh in on:

- Cost of insurance / repairs - I’m confirming but my hunch is the insurance will be more, just like for me and my wife
- Learning on an EV and missing out on ICE cars (there are notable differences)
- Availability of reasonably priced used M3s - from what I can tell not a lot out there that’s under $30K

Have they had their own cars previously? My college kid drives my old F150 now. My sophomores , no - still taking drivers ed.

While these kids may be a little older, may kids have been known to make at least their first car "disposable" That also suggests that insurance is going to be expensive. Yes, a concern.

Instead of being the gift horse, why not make them want to work hard to make a living and be able to afford their own car? If you want then to go green, then used Leafs and Bolts are great options. Yep, good points on Leafs / Bolts as alternatives.

But if you want to make sure that they never work for anything in their life, start them out at the top. Nope, not the goal!

Also remember that a Tesla is one of the easiest to get in trouble in cars that exist. Yes, a potential concern.

I have two Teslas now. My Mom and Dad started me with a Honda CVSS, not much more than a roller skate. I knew that if I wanted more that I'd have to work for it.

Potential concerns of mine I was hoping folks might weigh in on:

- Cost of insurance / repairs - I’m confirming but my hunch is the insurance will be more, just like for me and my wife
- Learning on an EV and missing out on ICE cars (there are notable differences)
- Availability of reasonably priced used M3s - from what I can tell not a lot out there that’s under $30K

Insurance is going to be expensive (probably very much so). It will probably be like insuring a young driver in a Mercedes AMG or a BMW M3.

Learning on an EV. Thats a valid concern, at least to me. If it were me I would turn off 1 pedal driving (but i dont use it for myself either, because I dont want to re wire my brain away from "move foot to brake pedal to stop".

Even with that, regen braking is different. Chances are very good that if you buy them an EV to use now, they will likely want to drive an EV for the forseeable future. It wont need to be a Tesla, but they will likely have a preference for EVs (just like children who use mac computers tend to have a preference for Mac computers in their adulthood. With that being said, there will be many EV options, so setting them up to prefer EV may not be a bad thing.

Availability of reasonably priced used model 3s. Depends on what you mean by "reasonably priced". There really isnt such a thing as a decent beater car EV yet. Even your "under 30k" distinction, by the time you buy new and add on a tax credit that many qualify for, a new one is close to that price if you buy from inventory right now. Used model 3s dont make a ton of sense to me. Perhaps that changes, but they need to be like 10k lower than I see them for them to make sense.

Instead of being the gift horse, why not make them want to work hard to make a living and be able to afford their own car? If you want then to go green, then used Leafs and Bolts are great options.

But if you want to make sure that they never work for anything in their life, start them out at the top
Eh, you can give your kids a comfortable life without making it so they “never work for anything”. It depends on the kids and the values you instill in them. My parents did buy me a pretty nice car when I was a teenager (bmw 3 series) and essentially paid for all of my undergrad expenses. I certainly treated that car well, maintained it appropriately, and never got into an accident. I studied hard, got myself into medical school, finished residency, and am now an attending physician. There was plenty of work involved there, even if that didn’t include working a minimum wage job to afford a beater and apartment.

Hey why does the oldest not get a Tesla?? 😆

But yes, as long as they know the value of things and are respectful, go for it. Safest cars ever. Bonus, they’ll feel really cool to drive one. Life is short. Enjoy it (responsibly).

With Tessie app you can get alerts on when they come and go from various places and if they exceed certain speeds etc. And a map of all their historical whereabouts. that is very handy. can’t think of a better car for kids.

only downside is that it seems extravagant — even the cheapest used model 3. some peers will label them as rich and spoiled. not much do to about that.

If Tesla offers insurance in your area, the safety score will be an incentive for them to drive safer and may be much cheaper as Tesla can distinguish between safe 17 y/o from more risky driving 17 y/o

Reactions: SO16 and CleanDemon
Well it may not be a cheap tank of a car but it's still a rust bucket and that's why I have no problem letting them drive it. For all you salt states. See you at year 5ish.
PXL_20220817_191656051.MP.jpg