Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Tesla Europe Registration Stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In France, we already have numbers for the Tesla Model 3 (1250) for December, although there is yet no indication for total Tesla cars sales in December as it lacks Tesla Model S and X numbers: Voiture électrique : 42.764 immatriculations en France en 2019
For Portugal, there is only an indication of the total of Tesla cars sold in December which is 302 without any other indication of each Model results: Autoinforma

@hobbes
  • I've added the official Norwegian numbers (3 and X were actually even higher)
  • We have a bit of an issue with Spain. The official stats only list the Model 3 (164 in December or 3 lower than our 167 placeholder based on eu-evs.com). So do we fix the Model 3 numbers and leave S/X as is based on eu-evs, or do we wait for better data from somewhere else?
  • For Belgium, our data shows 3690 Teslas for 2019 based on official registration numbers. EV-salses.blogspot.com has 3698. Ok, that is not a huge gap, fine. However their model split is very different from us. We assumed a 3/S/X split of 3112 / 301 / 267, while they have it as 2663 / 579 / 456. They are not really forthcoming on their sources, so not sure how valid this is. Do we trust our own projections on the split or should we take their numbers?

Last edited:
Just in case nobody picked up on this yet, the UK registration numbers for December are available from SMMT:
- 2824 Model 3s - "Other" at position 8 on the list of top 10 best-sellers
- 2873 Other Imports

So it's fair to assume that the Model S & X numbers are very small for December (<49 combined).

Just in case nobody picked up on this yet, the UK registration numbers for December are available from SMMT:
- 2824 Model 3s - "Other" at position 8 on the list of top 10 best-sellers
- 2873 Other Imports

So it's fair to assume that the Model S & X numbers are very small for December (<49 combined).

@Troy: Someone submitted the Model 3 data as proposed by@Chocochip above. Until now we mostly calculated the total Tesla number from the "Other imports" field, which I just did also for December, gives 2740. That is less than the "Other" under best sellers which is likely Model 3... What do you think is the best way to proceed here?

A only keep Model 3 number and assume S+X as zero for now
B only calculate Tesla total from "other imports"
C hybrid - Take "other" best seller as Model 3, and use the 3/S/X split to derive indivual numbers from Tesla totals for S and X in addition

What does everyone else think (paging @mrdoubleb)? Not quite sure myself. A would be the most simple and probably even most accurate, B would ignore the probably quite exact number we probably have for the 3 and overestimate S+X, and C would be exact with regard to 3 but still overestimate S+X. So my preference would be in that order: A, C, B I guess.

(btw, this is a bit confusing: data was submitted as "Anonymous" while there is no such username at TMC, only "Anonymous 1" and "AnonymousEV" - I guess "Anomous" is meant not as a real user name, but for people who want to actually post the data anonymously? Maybe you can add a short description like "Sumbmit data anonymously"-thx)

A only keep Model 3 number and assume S+X as zero for now

I think that is possibly what happened. Tesla needed to maximise deliveries of the Model 3 due to high demand and long waiting times for UK deliveries of the Model 3, so it's possible they filled up the boat(s) for the UK with RHD M3s and deferred S&Xs for Q1, when they need all the revenue they can get.
I have no evidence to support this, it's simply my assumption.

Hi, @hobbes. Here is how I read the SMMT data:
  1. 2,824 Model 3s were registered in the UK in December because the 'Other' car is listed as the number 8 best selling car in the UK. This is obviously the Model 3. It was even in the news the last time the same thing happened. The Guardian article HERE replaced Other with Tesla Model 3. Here is an interesting detail about this. A long time ago I saw THIS page that says Tesla became a member of SMMT in 2009. I emailed them and asked them why they don't publish Tesla numbers like they do with all the other brands. I assumed it was because the numbers were too small at the time. However, they responded and said, Tesla doesn't want it. So, that appears to be the reason why we have 'Other' instead of Model 3.
  2. We also know that total UK registrations of all Teslas plus some exotic cars were 2,873 units in December because SMMT 'Other imports' shows this number. 'Other imports' has been very reliable in the past.
Therefore 2,824 Model 3, 0 Model S, 0 Model X, looks good to me. I would go with Option A but it's up to you.

Anonymous is one of the options in the form that I added to make it easier to submit entries. The idea is that selecting an option is easier than typing it. In the last 6 months, 27 entries were submitted using this option. I added the following description to the Username section of the form. Let me know if you want to change this text.

"You can select 'Anonymous' or type your TeslaMotorsClub username or your Twitter username or some other username that you prefer."

Last edited:
Reactions: hobbes
@hobbes
  • I've added the official Norwegian numbers (3 and X were actually even higher)
  • We have a bit of an issue with Spain. The official stats only list the Model 3 (164 in December or 3 lower than our 167 placeholder based on eu-evs.com). So do we fix the Model 3 numbers and leave S/X as is based on eu-evs, or do we wait for better data from somewhere else?
  • For Belgium, our data shows 3690 Teslas for 2019 based on official registration numbers. EV-salses.blogspot.com has 3698. Ok, that is not a huge gap, fine. However their model split is very different from us. We assumed a 3/S/X split of 3112 / 301 / 267, while they have it as 2663 / 579 / 456. They are not really forthcoming on their sources, so not sure how valid this is. Do we trust our own projections on the split or should we take their numbers?

- Spain: Lets update the 3 number and leave everything else as it is. We can still update again if we get better data. I submitted this, can someone approve?
- Belgium: I´d let @Troy decides as he set up the splits.

Reactions: mrdoubleb
Hi everybody. I've updated the tables. On the first page of this thread, you will soon start to see registration numbers for January 2020.

In 2019, the top 13 countries that we collected monthly data for made up 98.28% of Tesla registrations in Europe. The other 1.72% were the following countries:

• Finland 924 units
  • Luxembourg 456
  • Ireland 270
  • Czech Republic 120
  • Slovenia 44
  • Other: 96 units

The top 13 list didn't change in 2020. The lowest country out of the top 13 was Portugal with 1979 registrations. The closest country after that was Finland with 924 registrations. Therefore Finland didn't make the top 13 for this year. When you look at the tables on the first page of this thread, you will see a row called 'Other' countries. The numbers shown here in 2020 will be estimates automatically calculated based on the 1.72% that we saw in 2019. Then when 2020 is over, I will check all the low-volume countries one by one and finalize the table. You can see the final version of the 2019 table HERE. The UK numbers for Q4 2019 shown in yellow are still estimates because the actual numbers will be released in April. We will update that later.

If you can find 2019 registration numbers for any of the following countries, and the number is over 111 units (1/1000 of registrations in Europe), let me know but I think it's unlikely.
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Estonia
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Malta
  • Poland
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Turkey

This project is still going strong. Most of the volunteers who have been working on this project for many years are still here. Our project manager @hobbes, @mrdoubleb, and I are double-checking every entry that is submitted. It would help if more people submit entries.

Hi everybody. I've updated the tables. On the first page of this thread, you will soon start to see registration numbers for January 2020.

In 2019, the top 13 countries that we collected monthly data for made up 98.28% of Tesla registrations in Europe. The other 1.72% were the following countries:

• Finland 924 units
  • Luxembourg 456
  • Ireland 270
  • Czech Republic 120
  • Slovenia 44
  • Other: 96 units

The top 13 list didn't change in 2020. The lowest country out of the top 13 was Portugal with 1979 registrations. The closest country after that was Finland with 924 registrations. Therefore Finland didn't make the top 13 for this year. When you look at the tables on the first page of this thread, you will see a row called 'Other' countries. The numbers shown here in 2020 will be estimates automatically calculated based on the 1.72% that we saw in 2019. Then when 2020 is over, I will check all the low-volume countries one by one and finalize the table. You can see the final version of the 2019 table HERE. The UK numbers for Q4 2019 shown in yellow are still estimates because the actual numbers will be released in April. We will update that later.

If you can find 2019 registration numbers for any of the following countries, and the number is over 111 units (1/1000 of registrations in Europe), let me know but I think it's unlikely.
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Estonia
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Malta
  • Poland
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Turkey

This project is still going strong. Most of the volunteers who have been working on this project for many years are still here. Our project manager @hobbes, @mrdoubleb, and I are double-checking every entry that is submitted. It would help if more people submit entries.

A big thank you to @Troy for building and maintaining the google sheets that power the project! I still remember when @mostapasta would post screenshots of a local spreadsheet (which got the whole thing going). And thanks to everybody who has been helping to submit numbers and check them over the years.

As @Troy said, if anyone is interested to help with collecting data once a month, we´d be happy to have you join!

Thanks @mrdoubleb for the France submission! Sorry for nit-picking, but I re-submitted two entries with S&X numbers as estimates (following your calculation, from France January 2020: Peugeot 208 II breaks nameplate record share, Renault Zoe up to #3 in market upended by new emission rules and dearer malus (-13.4%) – Best Selling Cars Blog : 170 Tesla -124 Model 3 = 46 S+X and (456 X / (456X+531S)) in 2019 is 0.46*46=21 X and 25 S), so we will remember to update when official numbers come in. Can you approve? Thanks :).

EDIT: Posted before seeing you posted your calculation already...

• Informative
Reactions: Troy
Thanks @mrdoubleb for the France submission! Sorry for nit-picking, but I re-submitted two entries with S&X numbers as estimates (following your calculation, from France January 2020: Peugeot 208 II breaks nameplate record share, Renault Zoe up to #3 in market upended by new emission rules and dearer malus (-13.4%) – Best Selling Cars Blog : 170 Tesla -124 Model 3 = 46 S+X and (456 X / (456X+531S)) in 2019 is 0.46*46=21 X and 25 S), so we will remember to update when official numbers come in. Can you approve? Thanks :).

EDIT: Posted before seeing you posted your calculation already...
NP I've approved your numbers including Spain. Don't know why I forgot about the eu-evs source. DUH!

Anyway... paging @Troy as we seem to have a problem with the table regarding French numbers. It appears it is not adding Model 3 to the grand totals - though it does appear in the Model 3 table correctly. If it's a formula thing, might be worth checking the other countries as well.

• Informative
Reactions: hobbes and Troy
The eu-evs site only shows 43 Model 3s in the Netherlands for January 2020. Our table shows 152. I'm used to seeing the numbers be slightly off, but this is a huge discrepancy. Does anyone know why?

Model S and X are off by 1 each, which is the kind of thing I've seen in the past and have also seen comparing eu-evs with teslastats.no.