Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla employing people to assist at Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has already been posted but I searched and could not find it

It seems Tesla have employed people for the holiday period to assist and direct people to chargers
I'm at Washington SC's now are there are 2 men in hi Viz vests directing people to chargers

I asked in the hotel when registering and they said Tesla had organised it to support in the holiday period with queuing

Anyone seen this elsewhere yet ?

Well Washington always seems to be busy so I can imaging it will get a little exciting over Christmas, esp bearing in mind there are no other superchargers nearby. It does bring me on to something that I wonder about, how does queuing actually work. Washington is not too bad as it has long access roads that could be used but when I was at Leicester Fosse Park all the chargers were full (I was empty and could only receive 50KW owing to site wide limit) and the cars were using four aisles to form a queue. How did they keep track of who was next when you have effectively four separate queues.

Well Washington always seems to be busy so I can imaging it will get a little exciting over Christmas, esp bearing in mind there are no other superchargers nearby. It does bring me on to something that I wonder about, how does queuing actually work. Washington is not too bad as it has long access roads that could be used but when I was at Leicester Fosse Park all the chargers were full (I was empty and could only receive 50KW owing to site wide limit) and the cars were using four aisles to form a queue. How did they keep track of who was next when you have effectively four separate queues.
Perhaps Tesla can engineer a queuing solution? Not sure how it would work, especially for non-Teslas, but some sort of Queue number system?

Reactions: Lumos and NewbieT
Yes, the same at Rugby SuC yesterday afternoon. Two guys with 'Parking Help' across the back of their coats. No mention of Tesla though and they were standing between the Tesla and the Gridserve charging stations (picnicking when I arrived but not all stalls were full in either)

Reactions: ringi
Perhaps Tesla can engineer a queuing solution? Not sure how it would work, especially for non-Teslas, but some sort of Queue number system?

Indeed - "its your turn, please now proceed to Stall #5"

However, made more difficult at old sites ("open to all") by stalls not being available, because adjacent stall is using wrong-side charger

But even without that, in California they have had huge numbers of Tesla for a very long time, and have had massive queuing problems e.g. at Holiday Weekends ... and Tesla have done nothing about a queueing system. So I am doubtful that they will do something now (and maybe it is hard to do given the intangibles)

Tesla could certainly not-charge from a stall that was pre-allocated to a different VIN ... so that would sort out anyone that didn't understand the system / jumped the queue.

They also know all the cars that are navigating to that site, and approx time of arrival, and so on ...

Indeed - "its your turn, please now proceed to Stall #5"

However, made more difficult at old sites ("open to all") by stalls not being available, because adjacent stall is using wrong-side charger

But even without that, in California they have had huge numbers of Tesla for a very long time, and have had massive queuing problems e.g. at Holiday Weekends ... and Tesla have done nothing about a queueing system. So I am doubtful that they will do something now (and maybe it is hard to do given the intangibles)

Tesla could certainly not-charge from a stall that was pre-allocated to a different VIN ... so that would sort out anyone that didn't understand the system / jumped the queue.

They also know all the cars that are navigating to that site, and approx time of arrival, and so on ...
How about Reserved Stalls?

There was a lady at Abington services this afternoon managing the “queue”. Miserable weather and probably a fairly miserable job - particularly when people in the queue weren’t in their vehicles and it was their “slot”. Thankfully we didn’t need to charge and had just stopped for the loos.

How about Reserved Stalls?
No, never. That’s how you create a system and layer between users and manufacturers/providers. If a high school graduated pubgirls and boys can do it in a busy British pub I am sure we can manage this without these extra interventions. Parking helps can definitely resolve this if the drivers are bit compassionate and broad minded. I am sure it is not going to work for drivers who honk if someone is just drifted to the other lane in a round about!

"Parking helps" maybe able to reduce the time it takes someone to leave a charger by stopping the traphic and speed up the starting of charging for people not used to the payent system etc. But if a site is power limited it will make little difference to the number of cars that can finish charging per hour.