Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla customer service is the WORST - esp Costa Mesa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BEGIN RANT:

I've been pretty patient, trying to be understanding that this company was trying to hit their 3Q profitability numbers. But this is getting frustrating and absolutely ridiculous.

Since delivery almost three weeks ago, I have e-mailed, called and texted with 5 different people at Tesla Costa Mesa to get a list of issues fixed/scheduled for repair. Each one of these people I've interacted with have said "we'll get back to you later today" or "by tomorrow" and it has now been weeks with no service appointment scheduled (the online appointment scheduler in MyTesla is weeks out, while I was promised an appointment before I leave for travel in a week).

Today I get an "urgent" e-mail saying they are missing money on my purchase. I point out that it was paid by credit card (with transaction number) and the response was "oh okay thanks we will get that corrected." I also alluded to the issues that are yet to be fixed on the "brand new" car and the response was "call the service center," aka the phone line with an hour plus wait time. Even the CA DMV has a "virtual hold" call back feature so that busy people don't waste hours of their lives listening to crappy music. This is 2018 not 1995.

Tesla needs to get their sh&T together. No employee takes ownership of a client case/account and you're left with everyone passing the buck onto someone else. When I asked the guy I spoke with today how come the 4 other people I spoke with before him didn't create the due bill or schedule the service, he said "I don't know" and didn't even offer to get the appointment scheduled for me. If JD Power or a third party called me and asked me to rate my customer service experience with Tesla, I'd give them a big fat ZERO. an F-, a Z.

Even the much criticized Fisker never avoided customer contact this badly. I was always able to speak with a customer rep promptly, while Tesla seems to dodge calls, not reply to texts or e-mails, and use a 30 year old telephone system for service appointments.

TL;DR:
Tesla tech: A
Tesla car performance: A+
Tesla car quality: B-/C+
Tesla customer service: F-

In retrospect, I should have just driven the car back to the delivery center on day two and threatened to reject the car if they didn't schedule the repairs. Seems like they only pay attention when $$$ is involved.

END RANT.

SoCalGuy,

Your last sentence said it all.

I had sworn off of getting any American made cars for the last 28 years due to their reliability until we got our very first Tesla late last year.
I had watched Elon Musk from the PayPal days and then Tesla, Solar City, SpaceX and had come to admire him a great deal.
I also had come to embrace the idea of buying directly from Tesla instead of paying extra through a dealer network.
Here I was, thinking that was the business way of the future, in addition to the cars that got no competition whatsoever.
Furthermore, I had high hope for Tesla due to their much younger work force who'd possess fresh new ideas toward QC & CS (Quality Control & Customer Service.

Fast forward to today, my admiration had turned into disbelief for their lack of QC & CS.

To make a long story short, as long as there are people who are willing to spend their hard-earned money to suffer through their purchases of Tesla cars then business is usual for Tesla and there'd be no reasons for them to change.

Reactions: SoCalGuy
Have you tried just showing up at the service center? People have reported success in doing so.

OP has me on ignore and missed my PSA. ;) However yes, the best way is to drive in and talk to a human being.

Costa Mesa has treated me like royalty every time even during the current hell.

The best way to get results is to help Tesla help you.

Can’t duck diffusion of responsibility when I’m in front of you. :)

Thought about it, but trying to avoid taking an hour or two out of my day to head to service center, esp if they're not going to be able to service it there on that trip.

I don’t like taking that hour either but I probably would have more frustration playing phone tag than just taking it in. Who knows they may set you up with a Lyft and fix same day.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Since delivery almost three weeks ago, I have e-mailed, called and texted with 5 different people at Tesla Costa Mesa to get a list of issues fixed/scheduled for repair. Each one of these people I've interacted with have said "we'll get back to you later today" or "by tomorrow" and it has now been weeks with no service appointment scheduled (the online appointment scheduler in MyTesla is weeks out, while I was promised an appointment before I leave for travel in a week).
Are you unable to schedule a service appointment online? I find the SC staff is well-meaning, but they're clearly overwhelmed and they should just be telling anyone that calls or contacts them directly to schedule an appointment online. Scheduling online lets you pick the date/time that fits your schedule and I've always received a call prior to the appointment for more details or to schedule a mobile service instead.

Are you unable to schedule a service appointment online? I find the SC staff is well-meaning, but they're clearly overwhelmed and they should just be telling anyone that calls or contacts them directly to schedule an appointment online. Scheduling online lets you pick the date/time that fits your schedule and I've always received a call prior to the appointment for more details or to schedule a mobile service instead.
The earliest online appointment is early November. Even when I took delivery, I had looked online when I got home and the earliest appointment was 3 weeks out. Almost every rep I spoke with said they could get it done that week or at the latest the week after, which is why I waited for them to work out the scheduling. Bear in mind I already moved around appointments and flights to pickup my car a week earlier so that Tesla could meet 3Q numbers. Now it seems they want me to either wait another month (which means delaying PPF/ceramic coating, etc), or rearrange my planned travel.

I always thought good businesses work around the customer's needs not the other way around.

No wonder Tesla is below $250 today (yes I bought).

Reactions: ACA Man
Thought about it, but trying to avoid taking an hour or two out of my day to head to service center, esp if they're not going to be able to service it there on that trip.
I really don't think you have another choice.

From my own experience with Costa Mesa, if I were you, I would go there in person and ask to speak to the manager to get anything done.
Not sure if you knew this or not, even prior to the M3 becoming available, that place is the 2nd busiest service center in the world with Hong Kong's being the busiest.

Good luck.

Hate to break it to you, but if you didn't fix them the same day you took delivery, it is going to.... take a while. Have you seen the Costa Mesa service center? We drove by the other day.. omg it is like a parking lot for Tesla. Even if they could turn around 50 cars per day.. it is still going to take a while.

I think you need to make an appointment right now and if you don't need them, you could always cancel it later. Don't count on customer service to get back to you... it is highly unlikely. This is speaking from experience.

Hate to break it to you, but if you didn't fix them the same day you took delivery, it is going to.... take a while. Have you seen the Costa Mesa service center? We drove by the other day.. omg it is like a parking lot for Tesla. Even if they could turn around 50 cars per day.. it is still going to take a while.

I think you need to make an appointment right now and if you don't need them, you could always cancel it later. Don't count on customer service to get back to you... it is highly unlikely. This is speaking from experience.

EXACTLY.

I had similar issues initially and was taken aback by the lack of ownership from the delivery center. That being said, once I scheduled an appointment with the service center, things went relatively well. They addressed most of my concerns from delivery once it was in service and the one issue they could not address is being addressed with a repair order at the Tesla Certified body shop next door.

Admittedly, the process could be smoother given Tesla's reliance on software and technology, both Tanya and Dan at the Cosa Mesa service center provided really good service throughout the process.