Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Certified Preowned program coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd just like to point out the HUGE difference between the Roadster program and the Model S Program. Tesla has sold somewhere around 30,000 Model S's in the US. I'd estimate that if they open it up, somewhere between 250-400 cars would want to trade in the next 2-4 months, obviously for the P85D.
That means that Tesla needs somewhere to Service, Clean, Repair, Hold, these vehicles before delivering them to customers. That is the only way to make this cost effective and efficient for Tesla. I think that they should give trade-in values something like this: MSRP - ($.3 a mile (This is done last)) -(7.5% immediate depreciation) - (.9% for each month in ownership)
Meaning a 2013 P85 (1 year old) purchased for $100,000 and has 15,000 miles would get a value of $77,200 or $22,800 in depreciation (22.8%)
This is relative to a residue value BMW M5 and just a tad faster than the RVG (Relative to returning your vehicle younger)

What do you guys think of those estimates and ideas?

I'd just like to point out the HUGE difference between the Roadster program and the Model S Program. Tesla has sold somewhere around 30,000 Model S's in the US. I'd estimate that if they open it up, somewhere between 250-400 cars would want to trade in the next 2-4 months, obviously for the P85D.
That means that Tesla needs somewhere to Service, Clean, Repair, Hold, these vehicles before delivering them to customers. That is the only way to make this cost effective and efficient for Tesla. I think that they should give trade-in values something like this: MSRP - ($.3 a mile (This is done last)) -(7.5% immediate depreciation) - (.9% for each month in ownership)
Meaning a 2013 P85 (1 year old) purchased for $100,000 and has 15,000 miles would get a value of $77,200 or $22,800 in depreciation (22.8%)
This is relative to a residue value BMW M5 and just a tad faster than the RVG (Relative to returning your vehicle younger)

What do you guys think of those estimates and ideas?

That formula is interesting. Does that actually work? Consider an 83,000 2 year old s with 15,000 miles used.

83k*(.925)*(.991^24)-(.3*15000) = 57k. Consider tax credit of 7500
83k - 7.5k - 57k = 18, or 9k cost per year. That not too bad.

Look at the private seller market. Prices are fairly strong. Tesla will need to boost supply,reduce wait time, in order to get CPO prices down. I want one but,I can't see how a 3 yr old model will be approximately 50% or so less than original msrp.

Look at the private seller market. Prices are fairly strong. Tesla will need to boost supply,reduce wait time, in order to get CPO prices down. I want one but,I can't see how a 3 yr old model will be approximately 50% or so less than original msrp.

Prices aren't that strong and the market is already flooded with S's now there is going to be a ton more. With more S's on the market prices are going to drop dramatically. As for trading your Tesla back to Tesla the will low ball you big time, like any other dealership. Most of the Model S's listed on cars.com and Autotrader have been listed for over 4 months.

Prices aren't that strong and the market is already flooded with S's now there is going to be a ton more. With more S's on the market prices are going to drop dramatically. As for trading your Tesla back to Tesla the will low ball you big time, like any other dealership. Most of the Model S's listed on cars.com and Autotrader have been listed for over 4 months.
A ton more would only be four cars

The listed ones are unsold - that's why they are listed. Duh. Ovservational bias anyone?