Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still do not understand why GM chose to make EVs with Chevrolet. I think they would have been better off introducing it as a Buick. I remember many a conversation about the Volt, where the conversation summed up with, "but you're buying a Chevrolet." Sorry if it sounds elitist, but if you want to sell a 35+k car, you need to market it to the folks who want to buy it. Buick is typically in that price range in the US.

Furthermore, Buick does great in China which will be probably be the greatest EV market in the future. The flip argument is that you may not want to "sully" the brand with a flop. Cimarron anyone? Did I spell that right? I grew up with Buicks and still have a certain affection for them.

I think EVs target a younger audience and they think Buicks are for old people.

I think EVs target a younger audience and they think Buicks are for old people.

There are few 20 somethings who have enough money to buy a Tesla, though I do think the mainstream car makers are trying to poise their EVs towards younger buyers.

I was considered odd for buying a Buick in my 20s. I ordered the car through the fleet manager, but when it was delivered, the manager was on vacation and one of the sales people did the paperwork. My parents happened to be in town visiting and they went with me to pick up the car. The sales guy thought I was giving them the car, but I told him they had way more money than I did. He looked very confused. He tried to get me into a lease, but I told him I planned to drive it for many years. It's been almost 24.

Come to think of it, it's been the longest running thing in my life, though the 21 year old cat is close.

There are few 20 somethings who have enough money to buy a Tesla, though I do think the mainstream car makers are trying to poise their EVs towards younger buyers.

I was considered odd for buying a Buick in my 20s. I ordered the car through the fleet manager, but when it was delivered, the manager was on vacation and one of the sales people did the paperwork. My parents happened to be in town visiting and they went with me to pick up the car. The sales guy thought I was giving them the car, but I told him they had way more money than I did. He looked very confused. He tried to get me into a lease, but I told him I planned to drive it for many years. It's been almost 24.

Come to think of it, it's been the longest running thing in my life, though the 21 year old cat is close.

A lot of 30 somethings do though. We still consider ourselves not old :).

Do you think the upcoming Hyundai Ioniq or the Chevy Bolt are also paper tigers?

As usual, this forum is awfully quiet when there's another credible long-range EV announced - and keep in mind the Ioniq is quite close to reveal (January 2016 in Korea, just a month away):

Hyundai teases Ioniq, its upcoming Prius competitor | The Verge

As for Audi, their EV SUV will arrive by 2018. Don't focus on just one competitor. There will be dozens of PHEVs and EVs to choose from by 2016-2020. The Bolt and Ioniq are just among the first two long-range competitors.

That's a big difference to the Model S and X introductions. There will be tons of competition to the Model3 - some of which hits the market 1-2 years before the Model3 is ready to go on sale.

Still think the IONIQ is a Model 3 competitor? Its not even a Bolt competitor:

"We have been told to expect second generational-type longer range in the BEV, but not near to the extent of 200 mile offerings like the Chevrolet Bolt EV/Tesla Model 3."

Hyundai IONIQ Gets Fully Revealed - Images Plus Video

Over or under 150 miles of AER? Do we have 120?

At least Hyundai, GM and Nissan should beat the Model3 to market. Other existing players like BMW and VW will also increase the battery range of their cars to 150-200 miles to stay competitive.

If anyone thinks tftf has any credibility:

http://insideevs.com/hyundai-ioniq-gets-fully-revealed-images-plus-video/

We have been told to expect second generational-type longer range in the [Hyundai Ioniq] BEV, but not near to the extent of 200 mile offerings like the Chevrolet Bolt EV/Tesla Model 3.

The Ioniq BEV won't be able to compete against the Bolt, and forget about competing with Model 3.

You can read my analysis of the Ioniq unibody frame, chassis, and powertrains here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...teries/page5?p=1311266&viewfull=1#post1311266

The short version: Ioniq is built first as a hybrid, and is NOT optimized for BEV configuration. This is painfully obvious to anyone who knows anything about automotive engineering.

Cat, of course
:)

This is about 2 years old but he looks pretty much the same. I thought he was a goner about a year ago, he lost a lot of weight and I thought it was the end, but he had a molar that went bad and once he had that out, he put the weight back on and is doing OK. He's quite the foody, eating almost anything he can find. When my SO has popcorn, he sits and begs until she throws him some. If she leaves the bowl on the floor, he gets into it. He can't jump anymore so putting anything more than a foot off the floor is safe.

Cat.jpg

The Ioniq BEV won't be able to compete against the Bolt, and forget about competing with Model 3.

You can read my analysis of the Ioniq unibody frame, chassis, and powertrains here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...teries/page5?p=1311266&viewfull=1#post1311266

The short version: Ioniq is built first as a hybrid, and is NOT optimized for BEV configuration. This is painfully obvious to anyone who knows anything about automotive engineering.

As always, tftf assigns 100 percent credibility to all rumors and announced plans of ice manufacturer evs. Never mind the fact that we have a solid track record of numerous companies announcing grand plans and producing little or, most often, nothing. The next announced thing is always a tesla killer for him.

on the flip side, every announced plan of tesla is always assigned 100 percent skepticism from tftf. This, despite the fact that tesla has proven itself to be the only competent ev manufacturer and always meets its big goals, even if late.

I'm normally not so harsh, but his intellectual dishonesty, broken record arguments and propensity for only showing up when TSLA is down 3 percent or more is seriously grating. His bear arguments add no value whatsoever. He must have gotten short squeezed badly a couple years ago and holds a lasting grudge.

This is about 2 years old but he looks pretty much the same. I thought he was a goner about a year ago, he lost a lot of weight and I thought it was the end, but he had a molar that went bad and once he had that out, he put the weight back on and is doing OK. He's quite the foody, eating almost anything he can find. When my SO has popcorn, he sits and begs until she throws him some. If she leaves the bowl on the floor, he gets into it. He can't jump anymore so putting anything more than a foot off the floor is safe.

View attachment 108003

I think it's time to rename the post: "Tesla BEV CAT competition developments!" Love it!

Do you see any final/official specs of the BEV version in your link? I don't.

Let's await the actual specs, prices and initial sales numbers before claiming car XYZ won't be able to compete in the EV sector.

Note I wrote about 150-200 miles for these cars, maybe it's only 100-150 miles for the Ioniq. Or maybe it will get various battery options later. We will see.

By the time a delayed Model3 finally arrives in volume the competitors might already get another battery upgrade (same for Nissan, BMW and VW by the way...they all need to stay competitive).

But once again: It's not about the single Ioniq, Bolt, or even the Leaf2.

It's about at least 10+ competing EVs from all major brands coming into the Model3 space between 2016-2021.

That means margins compressing and very intense competition. Add to that a possible downturn in the economy/financial markets over the coming quarters (yes, bull markets don't last forever. The most recent 2009 cycle won't last until next decade). How will that affect a new capital-hungry entrant in a very cap-ex intensive sector?

But this forum unfortunately mostly is one huge echo chamber for people so convinced that Tesla already won and that all ICE brands will fail that it's useless providing my arguments again. So I will keep it short:

By 2018-2021 you will see the full competitive landscape emerge in front of Tesla.

That coupled with an ending bull cycle on major stock markets (huge impact on capital funding costs/opportunities) provide more than enough threats for TSLA investors until 2020 based on current levels and upcoming dilution.

That's all.

See my SA contributions/comments for any future updates.

Last edited:
I'm back on page 90, so maybe this has already been answered, and if so please don't bother answering again, but I post my question now because it will take me a while to catch up.

Julian, can you please cite, quote, or otherwise point to the total calculation that nets out to $0.06/mi?

Thanks,
Alan

Tesla is deep into developing a private independent, go anywhere transportation technology, a complete replacement for the private ownership of a vehicle that can get you from any A to any B in your own privacy. This a service that anyone can calculate that Tesla is able to deliver at $0.06 per mile at cost, all in. That includes the vehicle build-cost amortization, the energy, the maintenance, the insurance and the finance.

Yes. In my own particular case, I can easily picture reserving two Model 3s (if Tesla will let me have two reservations), but then buying a Bolt in the interim.

Well... to be precise, reserving two Model 3s is a no-brainer and I'll be hitting refresh on the order page until I can do just that. I can conceive of buying a Bolt but it's most definitely not a no-brainer. Will be particularly interested in the real-life reviews and real-life long-distance travel stories. The $7500 tax credit is great but I'm not buying the car unless it's going to be useful for me, with or without a tax credit.

Alan

P.S. I confess that I'm not sure that two is the right number of Model 3s to reserve. Given my particular family situation, 2 is clearly the right base case but maybe not sufficient.

The Bolt may pull a few sales from the Model 3 only because of the timing. The Bolt will show up one year before the Model 3 shows up and that might push someone with too little patience. No where near enough to make any difference but it might grab a few people.

Do you see any final/official specs of the BEV version in your link? I don't.

Let's await the actual specs, prices and initial sales numbers before claiming car XYZ won't be able to compete in the EV sector.

Note I wrote about 150-200 miles for these cars, maybe it's only 100-150 miles for the Ioniq. Or maybe it will get various battery options later. We will see.

By the time a delayed Model3 finally arrives in volume the competitors might already get another battery upgrade (same for Nissan, BMW and VW by the way...they all need to stay competitive).

But once again: It's not about the single Ioniq, Bolt, or even the Leaf2.

It's about at least 10+ competing EVs from all major brands coming into the Model3 space between 2016-2021.

That means margins compressing and very intense competition. Add to that a possible downturn in the economy/financial markets over the coming quarters (yes, bull markets don't last forever. The most recent 2009 cycle won't last until next decade). How will that affect a new capital-hungry entrant in a very cap-ex intensive sector?

But this forum unfortunately mostly is one huge echo chamber for people so convinced that Tesla already won and that all ICE brands will fail that it's useless providing my arguments again. So I will keep it short:

By 2018-2021 you will see the full competitive landscape emerge in front of Tesla.

That coupled with an ending bull cycle on major stock markets (huge impact on capital funding costs/opportunities) provide more than enough threats for TSLA investors until 2020 based on current levels and upcoming dilution.

That's all.

See my SA contributions/comments for any future updates.

ALL OF ABOVE IS NOTHING BUT BULL !

THE REASON WHY NOBODY CARES OR LISTENS TO YOU HERE ( as you yourself admit ) IS BECAUSE YOU AIWAYS POST THE SAME BULL !