Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Auto park : parallel-parking - Why can't the car also pull out of the spot Mercedes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone heard when this feature might be added or if it will be added to the Tesla cars?

Merceds and Audi cars can auto parallel park like Tesla's but they can also automatically pull out of the parallel parking spots when required.

So far, we haven't been able to get the AutoPark to work.

Rarely does it display the "P" indicating it's found a parking spot. And the times that it has displayed the P - it wasn't for real parking spots:
  1. When in our driveway, the "P" will be displayed - the software wants to park on the sidewalk in front of our house
  2. When in the middle lane of a frontage road, stopped at a light, with all lanes full of cars, with no gaps, it displayed the "P" believing there was a parking space
  3. When trying to back into a parking spot at a hotel with a destination charger, the P was displayed. But when we tried to let the car park into the destination parking spot (which would have been very useful!), instead, it tried to back onto the nearby sidewalk, on the other side of a flower bed
So far, AutoPark is a failure...

Before our first Model S, I had a Lexus LS 460, which was the first production car that had "automatic parking". It was a great demo. But in order to get the parking to work, on the console display, you would move a box around on the display (on top of the backup camera image) to show the software exactly where you wanted the car to be parked. This was very time consuming, because they didn't support drag - instead you had to use arrow and rotate buttons to slowly move the box on the screen until it was in the right place. If the Tesla AutoPark can do this by automatically finding the parking spot - that would be extremely useful (not just for demos).

But, at least so far, the parking spot recognition is not working...

Reactions: Bebop
AutoPark has worked well for us most of the time. "The Secret" to learning how to successfully AutoPark for me was to find a street with open parking spaces and a distinct curb (not too short, tall or cluttered with debris) but little or no traffic for me to impede while I "played" with AutoPark. Key to success for me was to know the "sweet spot" for speed driving past open spaces and distance from parallel parked cars... And to STOP and select AutoPark when the AutoPark "P" appeared in the center display.

Now that I've got it down it works great and is relatively fast so not to impede traffic waiting for AutoPark to complete... even in very tight spaces requiring a little AutoPark "back & forth" to get in the space.

But I'd love to have "UnPark" to get out of the space too... Especially the tight ones since we have the very easy to scratch 21" Turbine wheels.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa and ModelX
Is this a new thing? My 2016 Mercedes S550 can parallel park (though it does a horrible job and always runs in the to curb) but it can't exit the parallel space automatically.
2014 MB B200 with Parktronic parallel parks neatly. Though it only controls steering and issues commands to the driver to shift to D or R for shuffling about. It won’t get you out of a space either.

hmm... while I have asked that very same question (why won't they allow it to pull out of the spot that it pulled itself into), I have come up with a couple compelling reasons...

1) While the car is stopped in a lane of traffic, others can see it easily, and it can "see" them easily. The social etiquette is to allow some room for the car trying to park so it can finish it's task. Pulling out is a whole other story, and a scarier one at that. People don't easily notice you trying to wiggle out of a tight parallel spot, nor can your car easily detect a possible future collision if it were to continue (think light just turning green behind you, as you decide to go ahead and start squeezing out). With FSD using 8 cameras, this should be much easier, but for now, it would be a nightmare.

2). This one is way more subjective, but... why in the world would you want to leave your car parked in a spot that was so tight that you had to rely on the car to get itself in there?? Trust me, I've done it; was amazed that it got itself into such a tight spot, and then immediately pulled back out to find a more generous spot. I do not want to get hit by the little old lady parked behind me or the newly licensed teenager parked in front of me.

Rarely does it display the "P" indicating it's found a parking spot.

I think there are two things to keep in mind when trying to engage autopark. First, it only works below a certain speed (I’m not sure what that speed is, unfortunately, but it’s fairly slow... I would guess on the order of 5mph). And second it uses the ultrasonic sensors to detect other cars and the gaps between them. The ultrasonic sensors have a pretty short range... maybe 5-8 feet max, so if you’re too far out from the parked cars then it won’t be able to find a spot.

The best tips for using autopark are to drive slowly and drive fairly close to the line of cars that you’re trying to park in. Once you pass a gap that it thinks the car will fit in the P indicator should appear.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
I guess this slightly off topic cuz I am talking about perpendicular parking but the other day it did such a poor job I was afraid it was going to bump the car. It probably would have stopped but I am not going to take a chance. Today it did a much much better job. But both times I had to keep a close eye and in the end I was like this is harder than parking on my own, particularly perpendicular parking.

Maybe its more useful for parallel parking.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
What, you've never been parked in by other drivers? What a charmed life you must lead!
1st - Thankfully, I never have... but like I said, I'm a tad bit particular about where I park, especially now with a six figure car. :eek:
2nd - Aww, why thank you for noticing! I was afraid the glitter and gems were a bit too much... :p
3rd - Seriously though, honestly, thank you for that example. The example of being parked-in is a legit good reason for auto-un-park. :D

Reactions: PrGrPa
Does Autopark only work for Parallel Parking? I noticed it not working at all for perpendicular parking. Especially after seeing that Model 3 video showing autopark. Not sure if autopark doesn’t do that or if I have faulty software or something. Or I’m doing it wrong.

Does Autopark only work for Parallel Parking? I noticed it not working at all for perpendicular parking. Especially after seeing that Model 3 video showing autopark. Not sure if autopark doesn’t do that or if I have faulty software or something. Or I’m doing it wrong.
It works for both parallel and perpendicular on both the MS & MX.

Edit: Noticed you have HW2.x, so I'm not sure if that's been enabled yet on post-AP1 cars.