Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Australia Will Add CCS Chargers To Support Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CCS to spread around the world

Tesla Model 3 in Europe will get a CCS Combo 2 inlet for DC fast charging standard and AC charging (single- or three-phase), but the change to CCS2 (the European version) will be conducted elsewhere around the world (outside North America and maybe a few CCS Combo 1 markets like South Korea).

The latest news is that Model 3 with CCS Combo is coming also to Australia and New Zealand. Superchargers will be retrofitted with the additional plugs, while Model S and Model X owners will be able to purchase CCS combo adaptors to use public infrastructure.

First deliveries of Model 3 in Australia are expected in mid-2019. New Zealand probably will need to wait a little longer.

“In advance of Model 3 rollout in Australia and New Zealand, we will be retrofitting our existing Superchargers with dual charge cables to enable Model 3, which will come with a CCS charge port, to use the Tesla Supercharger network.””Model S and Model X customers will continue to have full access to the network and a CCS adapter will soon be available to purchase, if desired,” the spokesperson added.”

Source: caradvice.com.au

This article originally appeared on Inside EVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m more annoyed at this “waiting a little longer” in NZ.

Why would it take longer to produce say 10,000 RHD Model 3s for Australia and then add say 1,000 for NZ? That’s only about 2 weeks of Model 3 production.

On the other hand they can take as long as they like to retrofit our 4 Supercharger sites with CCS!

I’m more annoyed at this “waiting a little longer” in NZ

I honestly don’t think it’s going to be that different for NZ. The original source was from a twitter question which only asked about Australia... but ever since Tesla had an official presence in NZ they’ve treated Aus and NZ fairly equally. Model 3s appeared in the showrooms at the same time, etc.

Don’t you have six supercharger sites there now? :p