Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App Settings Utility Rate Plan for Powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my Powerwall days ago and I have a question. I have just the one Powerwall, no solar and no EV. This is a configuration pretty much only for backup power to be used in the event of a power failure as far as I can tell. I know that works because we've already had a power failure. I would like to use the Powerwall for something other than just for backup power, if possible. I have heard that it is possible to charge the powerwall only at certain times of the day and also to use energy from the powerwall for the house at certain times of the day. I cannot find information on whether this is possible or how to do that. Is that do-able? I am in California using PGE utility and currently have tiered usage rate plan.

Anyway, what I had wanted to find out about was using my Powerwall for things besides providing electricity from the battery when the power is out. I'm reaching out to this community because I was provided with almost no information on fully utilizing the Powerwall from the installing contractor, none from Pacific Gas and Electric and very minimal information from Tesla. One thing I'm curious about is what kind of useful things can be done in the Tesla mobile app in Settings/Utility Rate Plan?

You should be able to setup time of use settings in the tesla app for your powerwall, but they take some time to appear in the app after installation.

There is a long thread about configuring utility settings in the Tesla energy subforum, here:

I suggest reading through that thread.