Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App and Interior Temperature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the Tesla App, I am able to see what the Interior temperature is on our Model X.
But the app never shows the interior temperature on the Model S.

Is this a feature that is only on the X?

I just checked and it appears to work with my HW2 Model S.

Perchance are you using an older version of the app?

I'm on version 3.1.1 on my iPhone.

IMG_0021.png

Android app 3.1.1 does show cabin temp on model S too.
But not always when you log on. At times it is delayed and other times it doesn't display at all.
However if you use controls to vent roof or if you turn A/C on - it seems it always starts displaying cabin temp.
Apparently a sw bug they haven't fixed yet.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
Works for me every time on iOS.

Does anyone know the time limit for the remote climate control? When I have the dog w me, I just turn my sleep mode off on my phone and watch it constantly. Is there a better way?

This is a well known issue. The car does not measure nor report the cabin temperature when parked and idling. The data is simply not available to the app. Once you start the heater or AC, the car starts to measure the cabin temperature and reports it. Now the data is available to the app.
Some third party apps start and stop the AC to get the interior temperature, but there is obviously a delay.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Works for me every time on iOS.
Does anyone know the time limit for the remote climate control? When I have the dog w me, I just turn my sleep mode off on my phone and watch it constantly. Is there a better way?

There is Cabin Overheat Protection. You have to set it on the main display screen in the car but you can monitor it on your Phone app under certain conditions.

On main display: Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Cabin Overheat Protection > On.

Just been working with Tesla on understanding this. 1) It is meant to keep your car no hotter than 105F. 2) It is meant to activate only after you have driven and left the car; and it will automatically control your car's temp for 12 hours. I asked about leaving car outside over a few days and whether it could be activated remotely on hot days--No remote activation. Told you need to have sat in the drivers seat. (I'd love to see it be remotely triggered as now I know I have to open the car each morning and sit in it!--I'm looking at it as a way to protect the display and dash cam) 3) COP will not work if your battery level is 20% or less. 4) Be aware it does eat into your battery charge.

During several days of hot temps in May, I monitored the car's range and the outdoor temps starting at 2pm and ending around 6-7pm (not the full 12 hours). I found basically a 10mile range loss at these temps during those hours. Sorry didn't think to measure by kW.
5/3 range 162 - 152; temps ranged from 90-96-87
5/4 range 144 - 135; temps ranged from 90-85-76

Prior to sitting in the car on 5/3 the cabin temp had reached 112F and that's when I was checking in with Tesla to figure out how it works. With hot temps expected today I sat in the car this morning to activate, checked the app this afternoon, and was glad to see it was working.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
My iOS app has both our X and S that can be toggled back and forth.
It always shows the interior temp of the X but never the S. Maybe it's because I only had my S for 2 days and it takes a while to show up?

During several days of hot temps in May, I monitored the car's range and the outdoor temps starting at 2pm and ending around 6-7pm (not the full 12 hours). I found basically a 10mile range loss at these temps during those hours.

Thanks for this data. I found something fairly similar for my car. It's conceivable that having these feature turned on while you park your car outside work for an 8-10 hour workday could cost you 20 miles of range! That's not insignificant.

Thanks for the info.
My iOS app has both our X and S that can be toggled back and forth.
It always shows the interior temp of the X but never the S. Maybe it's because I only had my S for 2 days and it takes a while to show up?

We only have one Tesla but it did take some processing on Tesla's part to activate the car for us to use the mobile app with it. When you see your S is it always like its in the dark? If the car wakes up you should be able to see both on your app. Shouldn't take more than 2 days to activate we were told. Ours did and we ended up calling Tesla about it but got it turned on soon after.

Thanks for this data. I found something fairly similar for my car. It's conceivable that having these feature turned on while you park your car outside work for an 8-10 hour workday could cost you 20 miles of range! That's not insignificant.

Our car was parked at home so could charge in the evening afterwards. But yes if you weren't charged up at home before going to work and depending on your battery size and roundtrip could cut into where you could go. Also depends on how often it needs to cool it down with the outside temps. We can get in the high 90s-100s so I imagine it would be more of a drain over more hours but haven't verified that yet. I will say the a/c didn't kick on until early afternoon but that's in part because the car was in the shade of the house until then.

I'm not sure if venting the car will keep it in a decent temperature range if you don't use the COP. Haven't monitored that as a potential solution. We have a lot of construction going on in our area and I really hate to have the dust get inside.

its just a delay on getting the data and depends how long your car has been idle/sleeping and if you have always connected on. When I was always connected it had it displayed whenever I got into the app, but with that off sometimes it takes a few moments even after logging in the app to update the cabin temperature.

Our car was parked at home so could charge in the evening afterwards. But yes if you weren't charged up at home before going to work and depending on your battery size and roundtrip could cut into where you could go. Also depends on how often it needs to cool it down with the outside temps. We can get in the high 90s-100s so I imagine it would be more of a drain over more hours but haven't verified that yet. I will say the a/c didn't kick on until early afternoon but that's in part because the car was in the shade of the house until then.

I'm not sure if venting the car will keep it in a decent temperature range if you don't use the COP. Haven't monitored that as a potential solution. We have a lot of construction going on in our area and I really hate to have the dust get inside.

I did some limited testing of the COP yesterday and posted the results in another post on this subject. I did not find much difference in the COP operation with the sunroof vented to the 12% position. It might depend on how strong the sun is (bright sun here yesterday), color of the color (mine is red), and whether or not there is any breeze to help move air. What I did not test was whether or not there is a difference in the maximum temperature the interior will reach with COP off and sunroof either vented or not. One would expect the unvented car to reach a higher temperature. But the difference might be less than we expect.

There is Cabin Overheat Protection. You have to set it on the main display screen in the car but you can monitor it on your Phone app under certain conditions.

On main display: Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Cabin Overheat Protection > On.

Just been working with Tesla on understanding this. 1) It is meant to keep your car no hotter than 105F. 2) It is meant to activate only after you have driven and left the car; and it will automatically control your car's temp for 12 hours. I asked about leaving car outside over a few days and whether it could be activated remotely on hot days--No remote activation. Told you need to have sat in the drivers seat. (I'd love to see it be remotely triggered as now I know I have to open the car each morning and sit in it!--I'm looking at it as a way to protect the display and dash cam) 3) COP will not work if your battery level is 20% or less. 4) Be aware it does eat into your battery charge.

During several days of hot temps in May, I monitored the car's range and the outdoor temps starting at 2pm and ending around 6-7pm (not the full 12 hours). I found basically a 10mile range loss at these temps during those hours. Sorry didn't think to measure by kW.
5/3 range 162 - 152; temps ranged from 90-96-87
5/4 range 144 - 135; temps ranged from 90-85-76

Prior to sitting in the car on 5/3 the cabin temp had reached 112F and that's when I was checking in with Tesla to figure out how it works. With hot temps expected today I sat in the car this morning to activate, checked the app this afternoon, and was glad to see it was working.

Awesome info. Thanks for helping the community.