Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Effective date.−The provision applies to taxable years beginning after December 31,
Senate Amendment
No provision.
Conference Agreement
The conference agreement does not include the House bill provision.
3. Repeal of credit for plug-in electric drive motor vehicles (sec. 1102(c) of the House bill
and sec. 30D of the Code)
Present Law
A credit is available for new four-wheeled vehicles (excluding low speed vehicles and
vehicles weighing 14,000 pounds or more) propelled by a battery with at least 4 kilowatt-hours
of electricity that can be charged from an external source.80 The base credit is $2,500 plus $417
for each kilowatt-hour of additional battery capacity in excess of 4 kilowatt-hours (for a
maximum credit of $7,500). Qualified vehicles are subject to a 200,000 vehicle-permanufacturer limitation. Once the limitation has been reached the credit is phased down over
four calendar quarters.
House Bill
The provision repeals the credit for plug-in electric drive motor vehicles.
Effective date.−The provision is effective for vehicles placed in service in taxable years
beginning after December 31, 2017.
Senate Amendment
No provision.

Full text: Republicans unveil their final tax bill

Huh? Everyone (except for you) is reporting the credit is safe. Read the below posted by @bruinjacket among the many other posts and news articles:

You guys like reading a wall of text? Here it is (scroll down to conference agreement)! Source: Conference Report to Accompany H.R. 1—Tax Cuts and Jobs Act | House Committee on Rules

Repeal of credit for plug-in electric drive motor vehicles (sec. 1102(c) of the House bill and sec. 30D of the Code)

Present Law

A credit is available for new four-wheeled vehicles (excluding low speed vehicles and vehicles weighing 14,000 pounds or more) propelled by a battery with at least 4 kilowatt-hours of electricity that can be charged from an external source.80 The base credit is $2,500 plus $417 for each kilowatt-hour of additional battery capacity in excess of 4 kilowatt-hours (for a maximum credit of $7,500). Qualified vehicles are subject to a 200,000 vehicle-per- manufacturer limitation. Once the limitation has been reached the credit is phased down over four calendar quarters.

House Bill

The provision repeals the credit for plug-in electric drive motor vehicles.

Effective date.−The provision is effective for vehicles placed in service in taxable years beginning after December 31, 2017.

Senate Amendment

No provision.

Conference Agreement

The conference agreement does not include the House bill provision.

Yup - I messed up. If anyone knows a moderator feel free to take this thread down. I'll spend some time to reflect on my mistakes this weekend.

There are too many fake articles floating around the internet that are taken at face value.

I want to commend you for actually reading through the bill yourself and drawing your own conclusions. Your approach is something we should all be doing. In this particular case, you may be wrong, but your efforts are appreciated.

So......I guess I am too dumb to comprehend. HAS the decision been made? Is the tax credit going to continue into 2018 or not? Thank you for responding, I can't figure this one out from this thread. (My Model S will not be delivered until February 2018, so this is of great interest to me.) Thanks, everyone!

So......I guess I am too dumb to comprehend. HAS the decision been made? Is the tax credit going to continue into 2018 or not? Thank you for responding, I can't figure this one out from this thread. (My Model S will not be delivered until February 2018, so this is of great interest to me.) Thanks, everyone!

No bill has been approved yet. But the one that represents the Committee reconciliation keeps the tax credit intact with no changes. Assuming that bill gets approved by Congress and signed by the President, the tax credit is safe.

Reactions: CBPfromTN
No bill has been approved yet. But the one that represents the Committee reconciliation keeps the tax credit intact with no changes. Assuming that bill gets approved by Congress and signed by the President, the tax credit is safe.
Thank you, jareade! I wonder how the best way to find out what eventually happens, would you have any suggestions? I try to watch the news but I haven't heard anything about this subject except here on this site. It's probably not something MOST people will be interested in enough for it to be reported widely. Appreciate the response! Thank you. CBP