Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC as a separate option

How much would you pay for TACC by itself?

Votes: 33 66.0%

Votes: 14 28.0%

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 was always about bundling to simplify configs, even the other cars have gone to more bundling of options, not less.
On that basis Tesla is moving further away from offering an individual addon, so getting TACC on its own is highly unlikely.

Model 3 was always about bundling to simplify configs, even the other cars have gone to more bundling of options, not less.
On that basis Tesla is moving further away from offering an individual addon, so getting TACC on its own is highly unlikely.

Which is completely understandable when you want to minimize the different configurations on the production line, i.e. everywhere where you'd need a different hardware part for a certain option.

There is nothing stopping Tesla from offering TACC as a separate option. The parts for it are in every car since every car comes with the full suite of Autopilot hardware. They would just need to have a software option for TACC only.

Why do cable companies like to bundle channels?

There's hardware expense(cameras, radars) that goes into every car. They need to recover that somehow, assuming that half the people will go for the barebones SR and not pay for it. If they start selling camera-enabled options ala carte, it will further make it impossible to recover the expense.

Reactions: T34ME
There is nothing stopping Tesla from offering TACC as a separate option. The parts for it are in every car since every car comes with the full suite of Autopilot hardware. They would just need to have a software option for TACC only.

They put a lot of hardware in the car and would like to recoup the costs. If they offer up individual features, people would pick and choose and they would not get the same return on the investment. That, or they price the individual options way too high and no one buys them with the same result.

I have enjoyed TACC feature in my Tesla Model S for a long time.My wife is not ready to give up the steering wheel control to anyone yet while she is driving, but totally appreciates the automatic braking, and maintaining distance while she holds on to the steering wheel. While ModelS owners are largely techie, appreciate Tesla, own stocks, ready to forgive everything and be patient, M3 owners would be mainstream and want things to work. While Tesla irons out all the AP code, giving TACC as an option to buy might just get things going:
(1) get more $ out of M3 owners (majority aren't convinced to pay $5K for EAP
(2) many may not be able to justify the $5K cost while they are just moving to EV life (solar panels and 240V plug points would likely be higher priority for them than EAP)
(3) TACC can bring lot of safety related features and reduce driving stress in many urban use cases

Would you pay if TACC was an option? How much would it be? Wear a tesla hat for a bit and offer a price that you think would be palatable for Tesla to consider. $500 is likely too low - they would rather not offer. and $4K would be too much too. Take the poll and let's make Tesla know we are interested and ready to pay just for TACC.

In addition to marketing / product planning wanting it to be a separate option, there's the "simple" matter of testing, assuming that the software was even structured to have TACC be separately enabled. "Simple", as in "a lot of work".

They won't do it, but I believe they should include it by default.

Tesla claim is they include the safety stuff for free, and charge for the EAP convenience stuff.

From everything I've read it does appear that adaptive cruise control improves safety. Where with adaptive cruise control people tend to use greater following distances. This dramatically improves safety as it prevents a lot of the multi car read enders that happen.

When used correctly it adds a second sets of senses. What I commonly do is use a TACC setting of 3 or greater which gives me plenty of time to take over if I need to. In reality it's more like "I don't trust this situation so I'll take it from here".

Or maybe Tesla could do a "Congrats, you get $1000 back because you haven't rear ended anyone in 36 months". Like a good Tesla driver rebate program.

Or maybe Tesla insurance could do that.

Reactions: phaduman
I have enjoyed TACC feature in my Tesla Model S for a long time.My wife is not ready to give up the steering wheel control to anyone yet while she is driving, but totally appreciates the automatic braking, and maintaining distance while she holds on to the steering wheel. While ModelS owners are largely techie, appreciate Tesla, own stocks, ready to forgive everything and be patient, M3 owners would be mainstream and want things to work. While Tesla irons out all the AP code, giving TACC as an option to buy might just get things going:
(2) many may not be able to justify the $5K cost while they are just moving to EV life (solar panels and 240V plug points would likely be higher priority for them than EAP)
(3) TACC can bring lot of safety related features and reduce driving stress in many urban use cases

Allow this, and either keep (& perhaps increase) EAP in MS and MX to recoup the costs. Tesla shouldn't treat M3 and MX/MS owners the same way.

I have enjoyed TACC feature in my Tesla Model S for a long time.My wife is not ready to give up the steering wheel control to anyone yet while she is driving, but totally appreciates the automatic braking, and maintaining distance while she holds on to the steering wheel.
Whoa, apparently we're married to the same woman?!? ;-)

Unfortunately, I also think this is right:
They won't do it,
And the reason they won't, is that I'd rather pay the $5k for AP than leave the car without TACC. If they upsell to AP on just one out of five cars, that's the same as selling a $1k TACC option on all five. OTOH, if they had a TACC option, that's what I'd be buying, comfortable in the knowledge I could upgrade to AP later (for an additional price) if I wanted to.
but I believe they should include it by default.
Couldn't agree more, because I agree with others who've pointed out it really is a safety feature. (Of course, plenty of people will argue autosteer is also a safety feature, so should that be free too? It's not a simple case.)

Edit to add: although they're not likely to make it standard just to DTRT, they clearly could do so at any time if competitive pressure forces them to. We've seen these kinds of small adjustments to the options plenty of times from them.

Allow this, and either keep (& perhaps increase) EAP in MS and MX to recoup the costs. Tesla shouldn't treat M3 and MX/MS owners the same way.

I believe Tesla has a lot more data on what the majority are ordering than we have on the internet.

Even if the take is only 20%, they are still breaking even if folks are only willing to pay $1k.

I just configured a 330i. Base $40k.

Active safety was $500. Park distance is $750.

Adaptive cruise $1200.

Doesn’t even come with navigation, moonroof, heated seats, remote services, traffic, etc.

Reactions: phaduman
Whoa, apparently we're married to the same woman?!? ;-)

:=). Since when have women given up control?

As a product manager, I do get these conflicting options all the time - "keep it simple stupid", "do not dilute brand or value by discounting", "upsell". Given that Tesla has no reason to give anything away - 400K people salivating and waiting, they did make it easy for MS60s to move up to 75s for just $2K - for many reasons, gave away 1s of speed for free for 75D owners - they do come up with occasional news-worthy materials - to increase brand and customer loyalty and gain more mindshare - some of these could be highly intangible than a few hard $s.

I agree wholeheartedly that the TACC feature is one of the crown jewels in Tesla line up, and works so well, the adoption would be almost 100% for every Tesla owner (M3/MS/MX). It may be a bit embarrassing perhaps to Tesla engineering that if TACC is taken out of AP today, AP would be tough to sell - with today's features. I would say the Tesla likes to challenge itself and they should consider the following:
(1) TACC should be separated out of AP. Every Tesla owner should enjoy this. TACC is a great stepping stone to partial autonomy, and safety. For majority of M3 owners, TACC is also a learning curve to give up control - of the pedals. Great way to train the mindset that the car can do it - trust it - way before telling the driver to give up the steering wheel. And guess what? TACC will save you more often than you can yourself. If they do not charge for TACC, then they would gain an ultimate mindshare and goodwill (high $$$ intangible),but they could too - objective would be to get 100% attach rate to TACC. Everyone should have it.
(2) Make EAP stand on its own - for its features and value. If Tesla cannot convince customers to buy EAP, then there are some big problems ahead for the company (& for the industry as a whole).

Make it happen Tesla. TACC for everyone - however you want to package it, but aim should be 100% adoption. Every Tesla owner will enjoy higher safety, get trained on letting go of some critical controls, and hopefully due to better active safety the insurance premiums would drop!!

Last edited:
Reactions: jgs