Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SYD - BNE Supercharger Route

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new Ewingsdale (Byron Bay) to Tintenbar (Ballina) Pacific Highway upgrade is now open. It looks like a bit of a last minute rush to make it all happen before the holiday mayhem. The northern and southern junctions with the existing Pacific Highway are not finished. There is single lane access and intermittent diversions (some via Bangalow) whilst the works are being completed. There are speed restrictions in the St Helena tunnel with frequent police presence. If you need the (free) Macadamia Castle recharge take the Lennox Head exit and follow the signs north. It is only a few km. The new route is around 2km shorter so NSW has moved a little closer to Queensland.

The new Ewingsdale (Byron Bay) to Tintenbar (Ballina) Pacific Highway upgrade is now open. It looks like a bit of a last minute rush to make it all happen before the holiday mayhem. The northern and southern junctions with the existing Pacific Highway are not finished. There is single lane access and intermittent diversions (some via Bangalow) whilst the works are being completed. There are speed restrictions in the St Helena tunnel with frequent police presence. If you need the (free) Macadamia Castle recharge take the Lennox Head exit and follow the signs north. It is only a few km. The new route is around 2km shorter so NSW has moved a little closer to Queensland.

Welcome sssh and thanks - A very useful first post!

Welcome sssh and thanks - A very useful first post!
This stunning area of Northern NSW is now a very easy day trip from SE Queensland. Auto pilot all they way!
The new section passes through rolling hills and a patchwork of macadamia farms with trees of the same age in perfect lines.
It is a unique sight.
Although these vistas appear over most of the newly opened section, the area of macadamia production is very small.
I too hoped Macadamia Castle would get a SC. Sometimes it is not a bad thing to be taken a bit away from the main highway.
It is only five minutes or so from the Lennox Head junction to the south and the Bangalow junction to the north.
Indeed Bangalow village would be another great SC location.
There is a variety of great cafes and restaurants and other attractions perfect for a short visit.
When the Sydney Brisbane SC is completed next year, the long distance through travellers may even be tempted to stay longer to explore this diverse region.

Yes thanks for the info! I must’ve missed the opening of the T2E by a few days…I could see it was imminent with the lanes & signs all ready. I never thought about Bangalow but it is a very good option for the SC location. Very good food at the Bangalow Hotel - and possibly the only location I can think of for the SC’s there although behind the pub might not be the best location for various reasons. My vote is still The Farm but Bangalow would be just as good.

And I totally agree, the area is stunning. I highly recommend a bike ride or hike through the Nightcap National Park...so much pristine ancient rainforest around Minyon Falls & the climb up to Rummery Park can feel almost alpine in the sub-tropics.
historic-nightcap-track-01.jpg

Last edited:
The SC locations are crucial especially as the total number in Australia is likely to be limited.
If you read the UK and French sub-forums there is much comment and frustration regarding poorly located SCs.
Tesla Aus obviously has to balance a whole lot of factors in finalising SC location decisions, not least of which is the considerable power requirements.
What is certain is that these decisions become set in stone set in stone and will affect the travels and adventures of Tesla owners for years to come.
I can only hope that local councils see this amazing opportunity for what it is. A supercharger in a small town is a long term and growing boost to local economies and businesses on a plate.
The centre of Bangalow is a kilometre from a Pacific highway junction.
Whatever the final SC location, if I was a Bangalow restaurant owner I would be installing a 100km/hr 3-phase Tesla connector next week.
Lets face it, who amongst us would refuse a made-to-order chocolate fondant dessert when it is worth an extra and maybe vital 75km!

Absolutely right. It’ll soon be universal knowledge for restaurants, hotels and other businesses wanting substantial & increasing new customer numbers associated with dedicated parking & the fastest, highest powered HPWC’s possible. If a business can attract Superchargers, that’s even better.

In towns like Bangalow, counter-intuitively for a country town, available space & positioning would be the major issues due to the heritage streetscape and topographic characteristics. Presently I don’t think any restaurants there have their own adjoining parking except for the pub. [Edit] The Bowlo does too :smile:

Last edited:
Have we heard anything on where Tesla are planning to Set up shop in Brisbane? I'd think the logistics of putting together a Service and sales Centre would mean they would have started by now.

Assuming that the Brisbane SC will be at the Service Centre like Sydney and squinting at the Supercharger roll-out map I'd guess they are thinking south side. I would have thought they would be aiming for inner north e.g. Gympie Road between Lutwyche and Chermside but it could be an issue of available realestate, there always seems to be a few abandoned car yards on the Magic Mile (Ipswich Road).

Can anyone name any other likely locations?

Having driven the Melbourne - Sydney route this week and stopping at every SC station, I believe the first priority is to locate the SC as close to the main road as possible. Goulburn for example requires a big detour while Gundagai has you straight back on the road. Mostly, you want a toilet, somewhere for coffee and/or food and that's about it.

OT, but using destination chargers from Adelaide to Melbourne shows their limitations. Having to wait 12 hours for a full charge is hopeless if you have somewhere to get to.

Have we heard anything on where Tesla are planning to Set up shop in Brisbane? I'd think the logistics of putting together a Service and sales Centre would mean they would have started by now.

Assuming that the Brisbane SC will be at the Service Centre like Sydney and squinting at the Supercharger roll-out map I'd guess they are thinking south side. I would have thought they would be aiming for inner north e.g. Gympie Road between Lutwyche and Chermside but it could be an issue of available realestate, there always seems to be a few abandoned car yards on the Magic Mile (Ipswich Road).

Can anyone name any other likely locations?

Given the primary need for a supercharger in Brisbane would be to enable/speed-up trips such as:

Sunshine Coast - Byron Bay - Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast - Gold Coast - Sunshine Coast
Gold Coast - Sunshine Coast - Gold Coast

etc.

It would be ludicrous to place the Superchargers at any location they are likely to set up a service centre.

The superchargers for Brisbane simply MUST be just off the M1/Gateway.

Will it happen like that, not likely.

It would be ludicrous to place the Superchargers at any location they are likely to set up a service centre.

The superchargers for Brisbane simply MUST be just off the M1/Gateway.

Will it happen like that, not likely.

I couldn't agree more. Discussions in previous threads have nominated the Nudgee Rd Shell Service Centre, DFO's near the Airport and Eight Mile Plains near the Gateway/Pacific interchange. Each have merits but yeah, I don't see it happening with the initial rollout sadly.

- - - Updated - - -

Having driven the Melbourne - Sydney route this week and stopping at every SC station, I believe the first priority is to locate the SC as close to the main road as possible. Goulburn for example requires a big detour while Gundagai has you straight back on the road. Mostly, you want a toilet, somewhere for coffee and/or food and that's about it.

OT, but using destination chargers from Adelaide to Melbourne shows their limitations. Having to wait 12 hours for a full charge is hopeless if you have somewhere to get to.

I agree,

Super Chargers should be in Highway Service Centres where possible. Superchargers are all about reducing the interruption to the trip, we know the food is likely to be junk but the facilities are usually open 24hrs. If you watch enough Bjorn Nyland Videos where he's wandering around empty carparks at 2am looking for food you can see the benefit.

On the other hand, Destination charging like Petersen's in the Hunter is about enticing Tesla owners to take their time and spend money with them. Great venues will see the benefits themselves soon enough.

Goulburn should have been on the Highway but destination charging in town would have been a good tourist draw. As it stands I'd add a few chargers (2-4) out on the highway, that way if they get busy the overflow can go into town.

Yeah, and they basically need superchargers in the SC for their own use with demos and customer cars regardless of other demand.

Overseas it is not that common to have Superchargers at SCs.

- - - Updated - - -

Having he BNE SC on the Gateway (i.e. in the east) ignores those good folk coming in from the west - eg. Toowoomba and the Downs.
In any case both Sydney and Melbourne are in the centre so I suspect that's where Brisbane will be.

95% of Queensland Teslas are in Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast. It will be a long, long time before numbers in Toowoomba and the Western Downs justify customising Supercharger locations for cars based there. That's not to say I wouldn't love to see Superchargers IN Toowoomba or somewhere like Plainland.

Take a few screenshots of the Tesla website.. and call it an article!

As far as Cut & Paste journalism goes it's not too bad. They haven't overly sensationalized it, it doesn't look like click bait.

- - - Updated - - -

Now that we are in 2016 I'm looking forward to this being updated and seeing what the 2017 plans are...

View attachment 106146

If I were the betting type my money would be on the Adelaide connection. Hopefully we might see some regional expansion like North Queensland and Eastern Victoria / Snowfields

If I were the betting type my money would be on the Adelaide connection. Hopefully we might see some regional expansion like North Queensland and Eastern Victoria / Snowfields

I'd expect Melbourne-Adelaide too, as well as the some sites immediately surrounding both Melbourne and Sydney (including the Southern NSW sites which were planned but missed out in 2015)

I don't think North Queensland is likely for a while. Perhaps one or two in SEQ.

I need to be in Sydney for a wedding by April 8th 2016 and one or two SuperChargers somewhere between Sydney and Brisbane would make planning easier (realistically a minimum of three perfectly placed SuperChargers would be needed for my 70D to make it without destination chargers) but looks like that's not going to happen.

Last edited: