Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SYD - BNE Supercharger Route

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone analysed this map to show what the locations are? https://electrek.files.wordpress.co...017.jpg?quality=82&strip=all&w=2450&h=&crop=1

I may have missed it earlier in the thread. What's the sout east one under Canberra? Or is it Canberra?

tesla-supercharger-map-asia-2017.jpg

I am sure a few have done the full trip by now, but I thought I would share my experiences. Have just done the run from Sydney to Gold Coast in a base model S 70. The chargers are in great locations - around 2 hours apart for "stop, revive, survive" (and with kids in the car, it is for sanity too). As they are short stints, the charge times are quite short too - I was quite surprised how quickly we would get the notification "you've charged enough to continue with your journey" - often we were ready to continue in 15-20 mins.

Leg 1 - in a 90 i have seen the syd->port Macquarie is feasible, but unlikely in our 70. A 15 min break at heatherbrae SC for leg stretch and a coffee was enough to make it to Port Macquarie with ease.

Leg 2 - Heatherbrae to Port Macquarie SC - comfortable drive, and a great location for the supercharger. The cassegrain vineyard is nice, and the Seasons restaurant was great food (and had kids menu).

Leg 3 - Port Macquarie to the temporary charger at Coffs Harbour big banana - again an easy run, and only 15min charge time needed

Leg 4 - Coffs to Knockrow SC (macadamia castle near ballina). We did and ull charge here to 100%. Saw the zoo and putt putt while waiting. If that's not your thing, the cafe is acceptable. We saw another Tesla here - the only one on the route.

Leg 5 - Knockrow SC to Qld. We had short run of just over an hour to Qld (car didn't factor the time zone change in trip computer,With a fully charged 70kw, the computer says noosa is a feasible end destination with 10% to spare. Will obviously be great when qld gets some superchargers (bris and Gold Coast I would hope)

Overall, no more inconvenient than petrol - in some ways it was an easier trip than ICE with good break locations (rather than servo with junk food). Autopilot was great on divided roads (like the full heatherbrae to Port Macquarie leg), but struggled a bit on the old stretches that remain. The car had internet reception pretty much all of the way, so the navigation and supercharger routing was fine, and it never lost signal for Spotify. Was asked about the car by quite a few travelers at the chargers - we respond saying it's the best car we had ever owned, and would never buy a petrol car again.

Attachments

• IMG_3700.JPG
    IMG_3700.JPG
    668.7 KB · Views: 52
Leg 5 - Knockrow SC to Qld. We had short run of just over an hour to Qld (car didn't factor the time zone change in trip computer,With a fully charged 70kw, the computer says noosa is a feasible end destination with 10% to spare. Will obviously be great when qld gets some superchargers (bris and Gold Coast I would hope)

^^ emphasis mine.

That is a tiny bit concerning, while you ended up charging for longer than you needed, once there is a supercharger presence in QLD, southbound travelers will be told they have enough charge to reach the next supercharger, when in fact they may not.

Great post by the way Tubbers, awesome to see the drive done in a 70, with a family, with such ease.

^^ emphasis mine.

That is a tiny bit concerning, while you ended up charging for longer than you needed, once there is a supercharger presence in QLD, southbound travelers will be told they have enough charge to reach the next supercharger, when in fact they may not.

Great post by the way Tubbers, awesome to see the drive done in a 70, with a family, with such ease.
I suspect that it was more to do with the ETA rather than the amount of charge required. The charge required would be based on distance and topography rather than time.

I suspect that it was more to do with the ETA rather than the amount of charge required. The charge required would be based on distance and topography rather than time.
Correct. The ETA on the NAV was wrong by an hour (suspect it was wrong since sydney). The charge time calculations to "continue your trip" have been spot on - and as I said, as convenient as gas. Before buying the car we were thinking hour long stops all over the place. But the ~200km gaps are great for safe long distance trips.

An update on the trip - from Knockrow was able to do brisbane airport for a pickup, then back to the Gold Coast. I tried the ChargePoint at Stockland Burleigh - but sooooo slow. 6kw is slower than my home charge. So I used the 3 phase HPWC at Hi Ho Apartments (they have 2 - I heard the owner has a Tesla on order), and the 10 amp extension lead out the window of our accomdation. Has been fine for runs to Dreamworld/movie world, Habourtown outlets etc, and will get us back to Knockrow (with the kids incessant demand for the Sing soundtrack on Spotify the only flaw with the car ;-)