Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switched from perf 21's to Tesla's 19" winter package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way Jerry, thank you for your numerous and invaluable contributions to the tire discussions!

Amen to that.

Jerry, question for you. On page 19 of the Model S Safety Information document, we see this (in a much nice tabular format):

TIRE AND WHEEL SPECIFICATIONS
Wheel Option Location Size
19”
Front 8.0J x 19
Rear 9.0J x 19

21” Silver
21” Grey
Front 8.5J x 21
Rear 8.5J x 21

Tire Specifications
Tire Type Location Size
On 19” wheels:
Goodyear Eagle RS-A2
All P245/45R19 98V

On 21” wheels:
Continental Extreme Contact DWS
All P245/35R21 96Y

Am I reading this correctly to say that the rear 19" wheels are 9" wide, and the front 19" wheels are 8" wide (but the front and rear 21" wheels are 8.5" wide)?

Why then are the 19" tires both P245?

Last edited:
Am I reading this correctly to say that the rear 19" wheels are 9" wide, and the front 19" wheels are 8" wide (but the front and rear 21" wheels are 8.5" wide)?

Why then are the 19" tires both P245?

1. My first thought is that the 9.0 is a misprint in the manual. Can someone check their 19" wheels, both front and rear. The size will be stamped on the wheels.

2. The reason that the 21" are 8.5 and the 19" are 8.0 is because the tread widths are different between the 21" and 19" tires (the 21" has a wider tread). Ideally, the rim width should be the same as the tread width (which is less than the nominal section width).

Nokian WRG2

Has anyone opted for the Nokian Hakka 7 studded package from Tesla?

I'm still wondering whether the WRG2 in 255/40-19 will work on the 19in rims. The diameter should be the same as with the 245/40 stock tires. The only question is whether the slightly wider tread will fit inside the fenders without rubbing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still wondering whether the WRG2 in 255/40-19 will work on the 19in rims. The diameter should be the same as with the 245/40 stock tires. The only question is whether the slightly wider tread will fit inside the fenders without rubbing.

I've got 255/45/R19 (Michelin Pilot Aplin PA3) on my car. I think I hear rubbing sometimes in the front. (but only when maneuvering around parking lots with the wheel turned all the way).

The stock tires are 245/45 not 245/40 FWIW.

> severe-service all-seasons [jerry33]

A weasel on a weasel. Gaak!

> The Yokohamas are surprisingly competent on snow. [Doug_G]

The Yokos I have on the Roadster: AD07s "Advan Neova" 175/55/16 proved to be absurdly useless (like made of wood as someone described them) under these conditions: packed snow aka 'ice' @20*F (-7*C) with strong sun. Thin film of water likely on surface makes tires slide sideways at the slightest brake application. Car slides down crown into ditch.

Ok, S has much more weight on front than Roadster. Still, I'd put on real snow tires by Halloween on any Tesla or fun 'n games likely to occur when you least expect it!!
--

Last edited:
Has anyone tried these tires yet (or recommend them at least)?

Blizzak LM-60

Have had them on the S since barely managing to get up the snowy hill on delivery day. No complaints at all after 2200 miles. Not a full-blown deep block tread like you can get for a pickup truck, but good enough. Plus lots of siping for icy roads. Besides my makeshift narrow elevated bermed up driveway, these tires are great going to the city over 9500 ft high forest pass as well as basin stretches with blown drifts & packed ice. In short: a complete winter amusement park here for testing. ModelS Traction Control is matched nicely to these tires; looking at my tracks I see only occasional spin-outs. NO 'snow tire wobble' slop on dry roads either. Highly recommended. May have a different name in Canada than 'blizzak'. Bridgestone LM-60s from Discount Tire 245/45/R19 on Tesla Rims.
--