Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swaying / Fishtailing / Handling Fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This discussion has really cooled me off on the P85 I was looking to buy... I'm nervous that this is a problem indicative of all Model S's, but exacerbated by the extra torque of the performance package upgrades. Could it be that this is actually a flaw in the design of the S and will slowly get loose on you over time and require constant retightening and realignments? I've read on other threads that there may be a "kit" coming to help with this, has anyone seen anything in that regard?

if it was a widespread problem, you'd see a lot more complaints on this forum.

Order the car - you'll love it... And then we can start an FSU Seminole group on this forum ( see my signature)!

I'm nervous that this is a problem indicative of all Model S's, but exacerbated by the extra torque of the performance package upgrades. Could it be that this is actually a flaw in the design of the S and will slowly get loose on you over time and require constant retightening and realignments? I've read on other threads that there may be a "kit" coming to help with this, has anyone seen anything in that regard?
No issues with mine. Roughly 17.5k miles. Done some autocross and some lapping. Mostly in 21s. Some in 19s. P85, not + (not available when I bought) and no issues anything near "this car has a problem". I suspect most (all?) reports of issues are people that either haven't driven a car with considerable torque in inclement weather, or have done so and when they drive a little spirited they notice something. Not something that's unsafe or control-threatening, unless you drive like 450 Wh/mi regularly or take 45mph turns at 80mph.

"If you really think it's an issue (which it's not), get the P+ and the upgraded suspension and handling plant that car to the ground--period."

We could probably reduce TEX's posts by a considerable margin if someone would sneak in and remove the + key from his keyboard!!!
:tongue:

I ha++++ve no++++++ ide++++a wha++++t y+++ou a+++re refe++++rring too++ :biggrin:

Also, driving over pavement that has grooves in it will make the car feel unstable when it isn't. Those grooves have a tendency to take your tires with them, requiring almost constant steering adjustments. I imagine the issue would be worse with 19" tires than with 21" tires. There is a stretch of freeway by my house that almost looks like a vinyl record with all of the grooves. The area is undergoing road work and will likely be re-paved soon. That stretch is not fun to drive.

Also, driving over pavement that has grooves in it will make the car feel unstable when it isn't. Those grooves have a tendency to take your tires with them, requiring almost constant steering adjustments. I imagine the issue would be worse with 19" tires than with 21" tires. There is a stretch of freeway by my house that almost looks like a vinyl record with all of the grooves. The area is undergoing road work and will likely be re-paved soon. That stretch is not fun to drive.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean... just strange it's so pronounced in the Tesla.. I wonder if that's because the steering is so tight? I roll over that kind of pavement all the time in my 2008 MDX and it doesn't have that effect.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean... just strange it's so pronounced in the Tesla.. I wonder if that's because the steering is so tight? I roll over that kind of pavement all the time in my 2008 MDX and it doesn't have that effect.

I experienced this very badly after I got a new brand/model of tires on my Audi A3 and drove on certain freeways in the Silicon Valley, particularly the newer section of highway 85 between Los Gatos and Cupertino. The slight but constant shifting from side to side was disconcerting and a bit sickening. I concluded it had to do with how the tread pattern and distance between the left and right tires happen to line up with the pavement grooves. I was very happy to get rid of that awful motion when I switched to another set of tires.

So, in other words, I wouldn't blame the car!

The 19"s should have significantly less of this behavior than the 21"s. It's not the wheel size, but the tire compound. The 21"s come with sticky summer rubber that will follow the curves of the road, pulling the car along with it, while the harder-compound on the stock 19"s won't stick as well.

My current car has extreme performance summers (one step stickier than the stock rubber 21"s on the Model S), and you can't take your hand of the wheel for a second on any surface or it gets pulled in whatever direction the grooves or curve of the road takes you.

That said, many people (myself included) actually like this behavior because it gives you an idea of what the road is doing. Extremely useful on the track.

I had this problem also. Tesla Service found it AFTER they found that it had done THIS to both my rear tires.

IMG_3066.JPG

Thankfully, they went to bat with management and I got the rear tires replaced gratis.

Word to the wise-- have your alignment checked, even if your car is relatively new.

I brought my P85 in to Menlo Park service for a couple of issues, one of which was the car swaying from side to side while driving / accelerating.

This was the second service appointment I had asked for this to be looked at, and this time it seems someone in service:
  1. drove and verified the problem
  2. fixed it.

The Cause on the work order says, "Checked suspension components and hardware, found rear upper toe link bolts at steering knuckle are not torqued to specifications"
The Correction says, "Torqued rear toe link bolts to specifications"

It seemed to fix the problem, and perhaps I'm imagining it, but also made cornering at high speeds feel more stable.

I had the car serviced in Fremont for the exact same problem.

Lucky you. I'm out about 1k on rears.

Think he meant $1,000.
If running the Micheline tires, that would run ~1000 for the rear 2. Conti's are about 1/2 that.

Had some of the behavior described recently and they took care of it during the yearly check-up. I'd asked them to do an alignment check and it frustrated the guy doing the alignment because he'd go for a test drive, come back, check the alignment and it would be off again. Apparently some set of cars, mostly Signature, had this issue. It might return if an outside shop doesn't tighten enough or doesn't locktite the system back down, maybe.

There are two things that cause this:

Tires--some tire tread patterns don't work we'll with some grooves.

Body flex--If the car flexes, it has more of a tendency to follow the grooves. I doubt this one affects the Model S.